.22LR Moderator

Axe

As some of you may now, i'm looking in advance of my FAC, for the kit I wanna stock in my shiny new cabinet.

Im resolved on the .22LR rifle i'm gonna get but not sure which silencer. I realise that everyones experiences may be different, but i'm after the quietest Moderator I can find to run with subs. I've physically heard a Logun which isnt bad at all. I have been told that Sak is probably the best and the cheapest and the list goes on. Any suggestions fellas.

Thanks in advance.

Axe.

P.S. Perhaps I should ask the same of the 17HMR to save me putting up another thread. Cheers guys.

Excellent responses gyuys, thanks. Think i'll be shopping for a Sak Mod!

Just phoned Sussex Police, Grants are taking 14 weeks :D Oh well, with all this rain about, i'd not be able to venture out anyway. Yeah I know, i'm just trying to make it easier on myself.

Regards

Axe.

AU-Jet z from Jackson Rifles (I bought it localy though). It is matt black, work well even with High velocity, cleanable although I have never cleaned mine yet. the down side is that as it is made from metal it is a bit heavier that some of the others; but I do like it and would probably buy it again.

They are all much of a muchness, at least the ones ive tried are.

The best ive found on my .22 lr with subs is the Parker Hale. Plus its a neat little unit which balances the gun up nicely. My gun is a nickle finish so i sprayed the silencer with etching primer, silver paint and a couple of coats of matt lacquer.

Looks fine.

FM.

Edited by Fisherman Mike

FM out of interest, which other mods have you tried?

Thanks

Axe.

Most of them...

Sak, Logun. Parker hale, Webley SF, BSA Volumetric.

The Logun was very good.

The Parker hale on my CZ .22 and Anchutz is whisper quiet... no more than a fizz with subsonics.

Obviuosly if you going to use supersonic Ammo no moderator will eliminate the ss crack of the ammunition.

Visit www.chambersgunmakers.co.uk to view a good few available by male order.

I assume the .22 you are getting is threaded for a moderator... DID you remember to add it to your firearms application :D?

FM.

PS the parker hale MM1 comes in a Air rifle and RF version

I have just purchased the new Carbon fibre version but havents tried it out yet.

funny that, ive tried both the sako, parkerhale and SAK and found the SAK to be better

maybe ive got an old model, the one i have produces a spring noise on fireing, where as the SAK is as you describe your parkerhale, whisper quiet

probably worth going down your local range and seeing which one seems quietest to you, models change over the years, i know that the SAK i have is heavier than the new revised model, so might well be less effective, or maybe more, who knows

use what works for your gun

note to self, get a silencer on my ticket :lol: felt like a real pillock when i realised i forgot that :D

FM Thanks and yes I did put the sound moderators on my ticket. I have applied for .22LR and 17HMR as well as the good ole .22 airgun. Seems to me there isnt enough room on the application form to get anything else on! Ive got to get out sharpish though and get a 5gun deep cabinet with ammo box, anyone want to donate one :D

Regards,

Axe.

• 1 month later...
FM Thanks and yes I did put the sound moderators on my ticket. I have applied for .22LR and 17HMR as well as the good ole .22 airgun. Seems to me there isnt enough room on the application form to get anything else on! Ive got to get out sharpish though and get a 5gun deep cabinet with ammo box, anyone want to donate one :blink:

Regards,

Axe.

Ive just bought a wall safe from B&Q for ammo and it only cost £30 less 10% because there was a sale on.

I was advised by the FEO to buy a wall safe as my cabinet hasnt got a seperate section in it, he granted my SGC which arrived yesterday and told me ide have no probs with FAC.

The application has gone in and i await another visit.

Hope this is of some help.

cheers

hughiep

FM Thanks and yes I did put the sound moderators on my ticket. I have applied for .22LR and 17HMR as well as the good ole .22 airgun. Seems to me there isnt enough room on the application form to get anything else on! Ive got to get out sharpish though and get a 5gun deep cabinet with ammo box, anyone want to donate one :blink:

Regards,

Axe.

Ive just bought a wall safe from B&Q for ammo and it only cost £30 less 10% because there was a sale on.

I was advised by the FEO to buy a wall safe as my cabinet hasnt got a seperate section in it, he granted my SGC which arrived yesterday and told me ide have no probs with FAC.

The application has gone in and i await another visit.

Hope this is of some help.

cheers

hughiep

But Shotgun ammo doesn't need to be locked up, just stored out of sight. Did your FEO make your having an ammo safe a condition of gaining your SGC?

Of course, if you're planning on an FAC at a later date then it's a wise move buying the ammo safe now.

Certainly in Hampshire and also Thames Valley shotgun ammo doesn't need to be securely stored. I have nearly a 1000 shells in a hall cupboard. It's only my rifle ammo that has to be securely stored.

But Shotgun ammo doesn't need to be locked up, just stored out of sight.

By telling your FEO that your making provision to lock away your Shotgun ammo will set a good attitude and presents a good first time impression ...........Or should I say the sort of thing they are looking for.It's all about being polite and tactful even though most FEO's haven't the experience when it comes to guns :blink:

Jax

My Local RFDs can't keep up with demand where gun safes are concerned so there must be alot of applications being made .............May be your County has been inundated as well hence the delay. 10 weeks is a bit long though but as i said above venting your frustration if there is any will get you no where. :lol:

Ive