Check out the meadows.

Cranfield

Went for a recce this morning, with all the gear in the car.

Nothing in the woods, nothing on 3 rape fields, where were the birds ?

Then I found about 200+ on meadowland, obviously feeding and pecking at something, could have been clover shoots, I don,t know for sure.

Within half a mile , there was another group 100+, on "set aside" that was grassland and weeds. It had been "swiped" before Christmas and was quite short.

Once again, they were actively feeding.

Both areas are outside my shooting perimeter and the Farmer is quite happy to see the birds there and not on the rape.

Worth looking at the meadows and set aside, if the rape fields are "quiet".

i had the same thing i went out last weekend and there was nothing on 4 rape felds then i saw a group of about 50 on a set a side field. not anything else about so i gave it ago. came home 5 hours later with 177 in the bag    :)

1.7 pigeons a minute... thats not bad going  :laugh:

One bird every 36 seconds, takeaway time for reloading and picking up dead birds/runners..........

......Did you take the tripod for the 50cal. machine gun or just hold it :(?

:laugh:  :laugh:

Take no notice of the jelous crew .223, You will always get a few pigeon shooters having a go when you have a good day. Had 96, two crows and a brace of pheasants last saturday,could easily had over a hundred had we not had a 40 minute walk for pheasants. Maybe those that make bitter comments are just insecure and realise that they are not capable of shooting such a bag or maybe they just cant carry enough cartridges to the hide to hit so many. The 96 we had was shot over a stubble 500 yards from an uncut wheat field,we just had the good fortune of wind in the right direction and and someone on the uncut wheat field making a complete hash of decoying, and guess what, the only comments that we got were from the **** on the uncut wheat field who shot only 30 when he had over 800 birds using the field.

Now, now, 391, play nicely.

To claim that you are shooting a pigeon every 36 seconds, without any further detail, is to invite such comment.

Most of the people that post on here are quite experienced and have had many "big bag days".

But, they also realise that the "small bag days" are far more common.

I suggest you wait a little longer, before categorising anyone as jealous, insecure, bitter, bad shots, or unable to carry lots of cartridges to their hide.

We are not a bad bunch, really.

.223 is 16 years old and probably rather chuffed at having had such a good day and certainly doesn't need sarky comments. I think you will find he never mentioned killing a bird every 36 seconds. Just a happy kid reporting on a happy day.Think we will leave it at that shall we.

Just worked it out. 177 birds in 5 hours actually works out to one every 101 seconds. The legendary Archie Coats, on setting his record of 550 in a day, hit (or rather killed) something like one every twenty odd seconds. Well done 223, but I bet you are sick of pigeon casserole, pigeon soup, pigeon curry, pigeon vol-au-vents, sweet and sour pigeon etc etc

I have only had  one real good decoying day in my life

shooting over a harvested pea field in Norfolk

I shot 50 birds for 50 carts in an hour, many left and rights too

I might add that they were all very easy birds.

As  has been said before  being in the right place at the right time is what it is all about :(