OK lab or springer

KillStone

You are split right between the two.

As a rough shooting dog then springer all the way. If you want the dog to sit still in a hide all day then you really want a lab. However both will do either job and really you should get the dog you want, not what everyone else likes.

Get a real dog and get a black lab :hmm:;):lol:

Thats two dogs then :welcomeani: I thought he only wanted one

If you do get a Lab then if you can train it alongside a friends

ESS you will find it easier to get that rough shooters edge.

Springers (well the good uns) have that nose down crossing hunting

hardwired into their furry heads It's not so pronounced in Labs though

obviously you can train it in. I've found the Lab rather better at marking

game down at range which after all was what they were selectively bred for.

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>">
name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="480" height="385">

I would also recomend a springer, I had one as my first dog and although Merlin will never win a field trial he is an excellent shooting dog and hunts hard in cover so absolutely ideal as a rough shooters dog.

I have never had a lab so I can't comment only that you don't very often see them in thick cover.

Old saying: " A labrador is born half trained and a springer dies half trained"

I have a lab which is superb at retrieving but you half to hold her back all the time for rough shooting and beating. I also have a cocker which is great at beating as she stays very close and works every bit of cover, like an ESS. Depends what you do? :hmm: Get one of each :welcomeani:

Edited by Pepe

> OK Lab or springer

Ah, the choice faced by thousands of Britons for a hundred years, and they chose...both!

Whereas wot if one lived elsewhere

Do wot i did and get a lab/ springer cross, :welcomeani:

he might get both *in* one.

The Boykin spaniel--born fully trainable and trained up from that day forward.

100_0954.jpg

MG

thanks for the replies lads. seems to be a split in oppinions which i can now fully understand. the oldies will only just tolerate the one dog and even i wont stand a chance at getting both breeds!!! i still favour the springer but only very slightly!! wat a headache and there i was with a stupid idea that choosing the breed would be easy!! Does anyone or even know of anyone that will take a springer say decoying or roosting or flighting?? if the right responses do come up then it will really help with the decision!!

Thanks

d

If its a 1st dog and your alone in the training then definately a Lab :welcomeani:

I've had both over the years and I agree with the above. In my experience a springer can be a bit of a handfull for first timer. Others may dissagree but that is how I found it.

I have a couple of Springers and both have been out last season beating/rough shooting. which they are excellent for.

To watch them working is great but to shoot over them is excellent.

I have also taken them both pigeon shooting, but i think they would prefer to be hunting then sitting in a hide

Im also into my Wildfowling and although i have seen guys out with Springers, I am thinking about getting a Lab myself just for this side of the sport and maybe i will even get todo some picking up etc in a few seasons time.

Bloke I know has got a 5month springer. I dont see him ever being able to train it as hes a first time gundog owner and the thing wont sit still for a minute. At 5 months my Lab was sitting and staying and more :o

I fancy a springer in the future though :good: But labs are pretty easy to train lol

do you shoot over your lab? if so how does it get on in cover and hedges ect.? Fom what i am told the springer would be more challenging to train however i feel that as a young, fit and energetic individual that me and a ESS could get on well. I was standing in a wood shooting pigeon today looked down to my right and asked myselfy could i see a ESS ther-yes, could i see a lab there-not really! trouble is i would really hate to make a mistake on this choice as it would be for hopefully a fair time!

Yes my Lab will hunt up birds. She has put up plenty of wild Pheasant, Snipe Woodcock and Ducks out of Reeds and Marshes. I know quite a few people who shoot over there labs. Both Dogs will do each other's jobs at the end of the day. A Spaniel will be better at fitting in tighter cover though and a Lab will be steadier and better off if your fowling or something like that! In open ground on rough shooting I dont see the lab as a disadvantage. If your going beating however some of the cover is very thick n better suited for a spaniel.

I have recently started proper training and plan to be picking up next season hopefully :good:

Also again If you go ESS, get a bitch! There not as nuts as I have seen :good:

Edited by Bigthug87

Wow i really cannot choose!!!getting ****** of with not being clear cut tho now :good: lol. mayb over the next couple of weeks i will be able to make wat is becoming a very serious and annoying not to mention hard decision!!Thabk you all for your help, im sure either will make me happy so long as i put the effort into its training from day 1 as i truly believe u reap wat u sow! im still slightly on the ESS side but am swaying really precariously-hopefully i will firmly come down on one or t'other soooon!?!

If you really want an ESS then go for it as you'll always be thinking, "What If Id got a spaniel ?" I wanted one for beating but there "too nuts" said my mum lol so we got a Lab.

Thats why I plan to get one in the future. My labs is lovely aswell mind so its all good :good:

i grew up with labs but really wanted a springer. ended up getting one but not as a pup///hes hard work but a great hunter. my lab pup is now 9 months old and hes a handfull...really spirited but wouldnt have him any other way. chose the breed you like the most because you will do far better with it rather than settling for a breed you're not overly fussed about.