OK lab or springer

KillStone

Two things:

A famous saying that's bandied about over in the State a lot:

"Labs are born half trained, springers die half trained"

An observation I made. Look at Sporting Scene UK's dog training video offerings:

The cocker training series is 4 discs

The spaniel training series is 3 discs

The lab training series is 2 discs

Draw your own conclusions. :lol:

A famous saying that's bandied about over in the States a lot:

"Labs are born half trained, springers die half trained"

And where do you think that "famous saying"'s bandied from... (Hint: It ain't Philadelphia...)

Problem is, far too many in the US take that "famous saying" literally--and their half-trained Lab never gets trained beyond what it was born as. But we can't blame the Brits for that, only for providing the alibi that Labs mightn't need additional training.

MG

And where do you think that "famous saying"'s bandied from... (Hint: It ain't Philadelphia...)

Problem is, far too many in the US take that "famous saying" literally--and their half-trained Lab never gets trained beyond what it was born as. But we can't blame the Brits for that, only for providing the alibi that Labs mightn't need additional training.

MG

:look:

I know, I was just bein' a trouble maker. :yp:

I prefer Spaniels... but then I have got two!

The local estate I beat on, has a 80% spaniel picking up team - and the beaters dogs are mostly labs! - make of that what you will...

They are both very versatile breeds, and either will suit the shooting man.

Slightly disagree al4x, I believe spaniels are better picking up dogs than labs where a lot of sweeping and hunting is required. But once you've taken your spaniel picking up you need to be a very good handler to consider every working it in the beating line or shooting over it hence they are picking up all the time. Agree with the generality that labs in the beating line tend to be owned by less experienced or capable handlers because they are easier to train.

Wow i really cannot choose!!!getting ****** of with not being clear cut tho now :good: lol. mayb over the next couple of weeks i will be able to make wat is becoming a very serious and annoying not to mention hard decision!!Thabk you all for your help, im sure either will make me happy so long as i put the effort into its training from day 1 as i truly believe u reap wat u sow! im still slightly on the ESS side but am swaying really precariously-hopefully i will firmly come down on one or t'other soooon!?!

:crazy: I've always had labs but now have an ess & will certantly be having another :good: If you are only having one dog the ESS will do everything you want mine does wildfowling, rough, decoying & peg work Thats why the old saying go's the ess is the maiden of all work. My labs & my mates will not hit cover like the ess. :lol:

The other problem that you have is: Dog or bitch? We have gone from having two dogs to having two bitches. The wife wants to go back to dogs next time. She says I know now why the term Bitch is used :o , they are more obident though.