410 cartridge for hushpower

just got baikal stealth full hushpower. Has anyone tried different cartridges. found subsonics no quieter than standerd 3 inch mags. 2" louder than 2.5" in eley and fiocchi really loud even in 2". The eley 2"give loud bang as do the 3" but 2.5" just sound like a sping airgun.has anyone used any other makes.

just got baikal stealth full hushpower. Has anyone tried different cartridges. found subsonics no quieter than standerd 3 inch mags. 2" louder than 2.5" in eley and fiocchi really loud even in 2". The eley 2"give loud bang as do the 3" but 2.5" just sound like a sping airgun.has anyone used any other makes.

This isn't right.

The Subsonics should be noticably quieter, they where when I had a hushpower. The whole point is being sub-sonic speeds, you get no sonic boom and hence they WILL be quieter.

You sure you didn't mix the cartridges up? otherwise I'd take the boxes back and complain.

This isn't right.

The Subsonics should be noticably quieter, they where when I had a hushpower. The whole point is being sub-sonic speeds, you get no sonic boom and hence they WILL be quieter.

You sure you didn't mix the cartridges up? otherwise I'd take the boxes back and complain.

There is a noticeable difference between subs and a standard load. Subs sound like an air rifle, where as a standard load had a loudish 'crack' sound

i'd try getting someone else to shoot it and you stand 30yrds off to one side and have a listen i bet you get completely different results mate they sound quite loud when you the one shooting it so you'll get a better idea at distance, 2" lyalvale are stupidly quiet, 2.5" louder but both a good bit quieter than eley subs and standards lyalvale 3" are louder than subs mate not tried eley 2" and 2.5" i don't think i have anyway, i've tried some gamebore 2.5" no7s but thought they was about the same as lyalvale 2.5" no6's maybe a fraction quieter if i remember rightly.

have you any idea of the age of it i don't know if they've changed the mod design, my baikal stealth synthetic is about 9 months old and i think its great.

I found Eley Fourlongs 2 1/2 in alot quieter than 3in Eley subsonics,definitely. I use alot of 12g Eley subsonics and find they kill crows and rabbits absolutely stoners at normal shotgun range.

Edited by vole

My and my mate Unclestuffy off here, have been testing .410 cartridges

For both sound reduction and killing power.

Here are our findings.

2" 9 gram Eley fibre wads: very loud, not very effective ( loud because the shot is so light its not slowed down enough and is supersonic when it leaves the barrel, and not effective because the pattern fails at anything beyond 10 yrds)

2" 9 gram gamebore plaswads: even louder than Eley as above, very close range.

2 1/2" 12.5gram Eley: quieter than 2" and kill much better, also abit cheaper than 3".

Lyalvale 2 1/2" 14grams plaswads: louder than the Eley but kill just aswell, pattern slightly better!

Fiocchi 3" 19 grams plaswads, kill very well, Slightly louder than Eley's 3"ers .

Eley 3" 18grams fibers subs and and normal, seem the same to me??.

Like i said these are just my thoughts on the matter after shooting lots of rabbits, squirrels, pigeons and magpies with a fully moderated Pedretti gun.

Edited by Daveo26

Like Daveo I found the Eley normal and the subs in 3in pretty similar despite the physics.

cant tell the differance between the subs and standard 3" carts. happy with the 2.5" sound levels. glad others have found 2" eley louder than 2.5". my stealth is new had about 100 cart put through it got full lenth neoprene silencer cover which helps with the twang off the silencer. 3" fiocchi mags really loud.

• 1 month later...
all very interesting, as im just looking for a .410 moded gun, good work guys

lee

Me too, Me too, Me too, ok wont get too excited; all my rifles have moderators, why not shotguns as well? Particularly when I have a pain in the ar** neighbour on one of my shoots. Question is - why does caliber make a difference to sound? Surely the moderator will take away the "bang" if it is designed properly and big enough? If the shot is travelling subsonic - why would it make a difference if its .410, 20g or 12g.

Would someone with more intelligence than me please enlighten us?

• 7 years later...

well for my money,the smaller the gauge the quieter they are,,,you cant tell me a 410 and a 12g make the same noise.i use a moded o/u 20g,for some things,other times a 28g,sometimes an unmoded 20g,and only rarely 12g,and they certainly dont all make the same volume of noise.

On ‎07‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 12:07, Rimfireboy said:

I agree. The fourlongs are very quiet, but don’t have much range.

44 minutes ago, hawkfanz said:

well for my money,the smaller the gauge the quieter they are,,,you cant tell me a 410 and a 12g make the same noise.i use a moded o/u 20g,for some things,other times a 28g,sometimes an unmoded 20g,and only rarely 12g,and they certainly dont all make the same volume of noise.

Only about 8 years late for your replies!!!!

• 4 weeks later...