.17 ackley hornet

inthedark

yup. Got a barrel on my encore. Sweet little shooter. I haven't settled in on a load or shot it too much as I haven't had time to do it. However, I've put over a hundred through it fireforming plus a few more pressure checking. It shoots just like the HMR from the shooters end (a little sharper crack, but that's about it). Ballistics wise, it is another 1000 fps faster with an extra 3 grains of bullet. Can't beat that. I shot mine through a SAK mod because that's what I have here and it moderated just fine. I did notice some firecutting on the mod though, so the SAK would have to be about disposable depending how much you shoot. I don't know what it would take to wear one out so I'm not going to try.

Mine is a single shot, so I can't speak to any problems with repeater function. From what the guys on saubier have, the Browning micro is the best of the lot with CZ and Ruger in second and third.

Thanks,

Rick

One and the same!! You cant say I'm not open minded though, and its a night vision combo that's making me look at this. Still wouldn't want one for 'ordinary' shooting cos I prefer the range and stability of the .223. Your thread and the comments on it were quite educational for me, thanks. <_<

Is this the same inthedark that gave me negative answers when I asked about .17 remington :lol:

Have you been converted, or did you just want to be a pain in the **** when I asked <_< :o

SEE HERE for your advice to me :o

Sorry, I'm a bit tired and didn't read all your post. Not converted - yet! and had no intention of being a pain, its just what I think.

I reckon that this .17 ackley with a pulsar on top and leupold qr's will be a winning combination and I'll put up with the griefy bits. What do you think? (and no plagiarising my replies to you!! )

I'm very surprised njc hasn't commented yet. To be honest, I like the idea of small fast calibre's. With the AH, if you can be bothered with fireforming brass, it is the way to go. Fast and flat, but very efficient. They are capable of over 3,500FPS (with a 20 grain projectile) and have no real felt recoil.

The only problem I would have, is the process of obtaining the brass. As you probably know, it is .22 hornet brass, necked down to .172, the result being, a relatively small cartridge, with relative noise. The trouble with it is, .22 hornet brass is weak and thin anyway. I have been told, out of 10 that are fireformed, you probably lose half from splitting and cracking.

Like I say, if you can be *****, its a very good calibre, very little powder charge (about 10 grains I think but you would have to check) and no recoil and with dedicated NV up top, it will be a winning combination in my eyes.

Like you said to me "its whatever makes you happy, cos if your heads right you'll shoot better. Life is good. Enjoy."

Please feel free to correct any of the above

All the best,

Sam :hmm:

I'm looking at a .17 Fireball myself.

Got an hmr, but with the cost of ammo, might as well reload a .17 centre fire and get 1500fps more velocity, with, from what I gather same felt recoil i.e. none, and less noise. 1/2 inch high at 100 yds and about 1/2 inch low at 200 yds - lazer tastic!!

Being a leftie, I'm sure it will pose problems getting a suitable rifle though.

cheers

Stu

Have you considered .204 ruger?

Very fast, and very flat with a bit more oomph than the .17's. They will reach close to 4000 fps with a 40 grain pill and there is a fair range of different rounds available. Also the BC of the 20 cal is better than .17, so they dont die off as quick.

Brass and bullets are easier to get hold of, and they aren't too bad to reload. They seem a winner in my eyes, might even consider one myself instead of .17 rem. :lol:

Decisions decisions.

All the best,

Sam :hmm:

The only problem I would have, is the process of obtaining the brass. As you probably know, it is .22 hornet brass, necked down to .172, the result being, a relatively small cartridge, with relative noise. The trouble with it is, .22 hornet brass is weak and thin anyway. I have been told, out of 10 that are fireformed, you probably lose half from splitting and cracking.

All the best,

Sam :lol:

I didn't have any problems fireforming. I started with a fresh hundred bag. I have 96 that are fully formed, some have been fired more than once. Of the 4 I lost, 2 or 3 were my being greedy and trying to to straight to the sizing die in one step. Some guys can do it with polished, used dies and plenty of good lube. Didn't work for me. I used the seater with the stem removed to start the neck down and then ran them all through the sizer. Two steps and load. All formed perfectly and none were lost or split on shooting.

I'm with all that Sam. Maybe the Ackley's not the way to go, got any suggestions?

The 17 fireball would be another good choice. With a moderator you won't tell the difference (for that matter a 17 rem would be the same). It uses a few more grains of powder, but is still a small 17. A little faster, but with the 20 gr bullets it doesn't make a difference. If you start from a 221FB action or a 17 FB action you'll be able to mag feed in a repeater. If I were to start all over again I would consider a FB just because the brass is better, the dies are cheaper and the rifles more plentiful. However, I'm not sorry that I got the AH in any way. I will build a bigger 17 when I get back to the US, probably a 17-222 on a savage action. Dies are a little more than standard dies, but not quite custom die price. Good brass is available, and the length means it will feed from most any short action.

Thanks

Rick

The fire forming process is a bit fiddly but as Rick says it can be done easily enough. Hornet brass is cheap and the 17AH is very efficient round. However if it were me I would get the Fireball simply because you can at a pinch buy ammo off the shelf and reloading is much more straightforward.

All good stuff folks, thanks. Fireball eh? I'll have a look at that, I reckon Steve Kershaw might have one in.

Sam - the .204's got more clout than I want for this operation, if it comes off. I'm looking for light and quiet as possible. Haven't shot one for 6 (ish) weeks now even though there are odd ones about so I'm gonna change my game plan!

I've got a 20" barrel on mine, but I considered going as short at 16". I stuck at 20" because as a single shot there is no length added by the receiver. So my 20" barreled gun is shorter than a bolt action with a 16" barrel. For an AH I'd stick to 18-20" on a bolt. For a FB I'd look 20-22".

Thanks

Rick

Anyone with an FB, what are you using?

I'm a leftie, so guess my choices are limited. Remmie do a lefty, but I've heard the synthetic stocks are a bit flexy and there isn't a left handed hogue after mareket option.

Any ideas.

cheers

Stu