Difference between Sporting & Game Guns

Brad93

Anybody tell me the differences between these guns, been offered a nice looking sporting version of a silver pigeon, but i do mostly game shooting so not really sure what to do.

Thanks in advance :good:

Sporters are heavier and have a wider rib. Game guns are lighter and generally have auto safety catches (which are a pain in the ***, IMO)

The sporter is about 1/2lb heavier than the game version, may have 30" barrels whilst the game is usually 28". I shot game with a sporter for 10 years until last year when I bought a SP 111 Ltd Game 28" and prefer the game, its noticeably lighter and I feel swings easier. The autosafe facility on the game can be easily deactivated or activated on a sporter. I beleive a game gun should be autosafe.

The sporter is about 1/2lb heavier than the game version, may have 30" barrels whilst the game is usually 28". I shot game with a sporter for 10 years until last year when I bought a SP 111 Ltd Game 28" and prefer the game, its noticeably lighter and I feel swings easier. The autosafe facility on the game can be easily deactivated or activated on a sporter. I beleive a game gun should be autosafe.

Why auto safe?

a gun is either safe or not and a safety catch changes nothing.

They are a pain in the **** and should be done away with.

Sporters are heavier and have a wider rib. Game guns are lighter and generally have auto safety catches (which are a pain in the ***, IMO)

Yep..but I don't think the Silver Pigeon game guns have auto safety, the one I have at the moment is the Sporter so someone else will confirm no doubt!

A balance and toss up for clays these days, some like the weight and think it helps their swing, but with the wait between stands at most shoots these days I am happy with a game/field gun, plenty of time for the barrel to cool off, and then I can also use it in the field all day without medical assistance! :good:

Edited by Dekers

An autosafe is only a pain if you have shot without one. I have both and my first gun was a Beretta game gun with autosafe. You get into a habit of flicking it off as you bring the gun up to your face. Then I got a sporter and now I forget when I am shooting my game gun. An autosafe is more inherently safe but we all know the only safe gun is the one which is proven to not have any cartridges in it.

I agree that a game gun is a lot easier to swing - sometime too easy and you go too far!

cheers,

Just take it to your local rfd he'll sort it . When i bought mine he said if you have a problem with the auto safe feature i can remove a small pin that stops the auto safe, not sure of price as just got use to it. Though it was a pain first time out PULL, CLICK :good:

Just take it to your local rfd he'll sort it . When i bought mine he said if you have a problem with the auto safe feature i can remove a small pin that stops the auto safe, not sure of price as just got use to it. Though it was a pain first time out PULL, CLICK :good:

Did it myself :lol:

First time I took my Silver Pigeon clayshooting I lost half the clays from forgetting to take that bloody catch off :hmm:

I'm not going to walk the fields all day only to lose a chance cos the damn thing is on again.

My silver pigeon game had an auto safety, which I quickly had removed I think it cost me about £50 when I had it done worth every penny. As someone said I need as much help as I can get when rough shooting and the auto safety gives the birds an unfair advantage!