@?*&%^$£^

Vipa

Well.... decided to go out on me tod today after all... was desparate for some fresh air even though I have a mountain of paperwork to catch up on!

Went back to the same field Hawkeye and I were at last week, got there about 10am an the field was covered! (weyhey I thought to meself!!)

So... proceeded to get set up. As could only be expected, tomorrows tea, sorry, the pigeons up-sticked and legged it. I got myself ready, nice natural looking (well, as natural as possible with shells) v formation with magnet running at the front, wind direction perfect, everything looked lovely, even my hide was a little work of art.

Finally set up and running by about 10.30 and eventually packed up at 4.30 so... 6 hours.... shot NONE!!!!!!!!!!!!! In fact in that entire 6 hours I saw NONE!!!!!! other than the odd few who passed by 2 or 3 fields away. I managed to glass a couple of decent flocks maybe half a mile away moving from tree to ground and back up again. Dirtied my barrels to see if I could get them in the air and it worked but the buggars went in the opposite direction!!! I think my pattern was fine and the hypa-flaps looked awesome on the magnet, even got me a couple of times when I was panning round with the binoculars.... thought they were the real deal and went for me gun only to remember they weren't!!!

Anyhoo...... at least I wasted 6 hours in the lovely North Yorks countryside instead of staring at a computer screen in my office!!!!!!!!!!!!! but the bloody pigeons aren't gonna decoy if they don't get close enough to see me decoys!!!

Edited by Vipa

You have two choices , get to the field early before the pigeons , hope they will be back on the same field in the morning and shoot them as they come in , before they form big flocks or take your time , look at a number of fields in the area and watch the flightlines before you set up. I was out this morning at 8.00 drove around about 1,000 acres to see what fields the birds were feeding on , but could not find any numbers anywhere. So I parked up on a high vantage point and just watched the area for signs of activity. About 10.00 noticed a steady stream of birds into a sheltered dip in a rape field. They were still trickling in 30 mins later. So quietly drove up and flushed 200 pigeons off the field without scareing them too much. Set up decoys , bouncer and a magnet. Packed up 3 hours later with exactly 60 pigeons in the bag. and scouted for some drilled fields for tomorows shooting and set off home at 3.00pm.

Edited by anser2

Its also useful to have a "Plan B".

If things aren't working out its worth moving, or at least having a drive and a look around.

Although, on hot sunny summer days when it gets really slow, I have been known to rest my eyes and have a doze in the hide. :o

Some times, Like today (for me as well) you can have a plan X Y and Z and all you do is burn Deisel driving around the fields. :o