seriousley impressed - marlin 917v .17hmr

Ozzy Fudd

took the marlin 17hmr out today to get it zeroed, wow am i impressed! :hmm:

i used a roll of wallpaper and put a cross of insulating tape on it as an aim point, id had a couple of shots to get the barrel dirtied a bit, and thought it was shooting to the right. so i set up at 60 yards, and the first group of 5 shots was about 10" right and 8" high, but the group size itself was only about an inch - not bad for the first attempt! when i got zeroed onto the target i moved back to 100 yards for some fine tuning, after a few minor adjustments i was putting the rounds exactly where i wanted, dead centre of the cross's :P so then i moved back to 150 yards and hung a few midi clays on nails, just to test myself as i very rarely shoot at that range with the .22lr. i coudlnt believe it, i smashed everyone of them with only about 2" of drop :good:

after that i took a walk around my uncles fields, he's been dropping hints lately about rabbits, saw 5 when i got there, about 200 yards, but didnt want to take the chance, crept forward to 150 yards but couldnt get a clear shot, so crept up to 130 and settled down. put the crosshairs on the chest (didnt want to chance a headshot) and squeezed the trigger... and got my first kill :lol: when i checked the rabbit the skin on its face was bare and its eyes looked very gummy/goopy, like mixy, so i reckon i did it a favour. if mixy is in the area the rifle didnt come a moment too soon.

ive a few things i need to do, heighten the comb for starters, and get the barrel screw cut so i can use the moderator, but so far im very impressed with it :yes:

Ozzy mate, if you are anything like me the more you use and get used to your 17HMR the more it will continue to amaze you and the more you will fall in love with it! (I might have to get rid of either my Ruger 10/22 or my CZ 452 17HMR to get a variation for and to make room for a .243 in my cabinet. If it comes to that then it will be a no contest - as much as I love my Ruger 10/22 it will get it's marching orders) I was so used to using a .22LR at ranges of 30 to 75 yards on rabbits that when I got my 17HMR it took a bit of getting used to the idea of taking head shots on rabbits at 100 yards. Then as I got used to handling the rifle and my confidence grew I started taking head shots out to about 125 yards. Now I am quite confident taking rabbits at 150 yards with my 17 HMR and even take head shots on the lamp at over 100 yards. Quite often now when there are not many rabbits about I put a few targets about the size of tennis balls out at different ranges from 70 yards to 150 yards, just to keep my eye in and enjoy the capabilities of the HMR and the pleasure of firing my 17 HMR! I believe it is all down to getting to know your rifle and gaining your confidence in it's capabilities. The more your confidence grows in both the rifle and yourself the more the 17 HMR will continue to surprise and amaze you with it's capabilities!

I hope your HMR gives you as much pleasure and keeps on surprising you as mine does for me and next time you get a chance of a rabbit at 130 yards try the head shot rather than a body shot, you might well surprise yourself!

Enjoy plenty of safe and amazing shooting with your 17 HMR mate!

p.s. I've not tried myself but I bet you could do some serious damage to an old fridge at 250 yards with a 17HMR! He. he, he. :yp: :look: :D (That should throw the doo-doos into the fan mate!)

Edited by Frenchieboy

Yeh I'd only used air rifles before and a .22lr once.

When I first put the target out at 100 yards it was just a spec on the cross hairs. Couldn't believe I'd hit it, but I did.

Just been reading Sniper One, and the sniper platoon took a towel head out 828 yards! With a 7.62. Could take it out to 1000 with the HMR :yp:

:D thanks guys, so far its only strange thing its been used on was a full water bottle (which exploded nicely at 150 yards i must say :look:)

i sat down last night and heighened the stock up, so my eyes in perfect position for the scope, i always reckon youve got enough to worry about holding the cross hairs on the target without having to wiggle your head about to get it in the right position too. next thing ill do is put a butt extension on as i think its a bit short for me, so as soon as ive done that today/tomorrow ill take it out again on saturday to make sure its all working ok and do a bit more practice, and probably bag a few more bunnies when im done :yp:

I personally think that the 17HMR is the best caliber of all for bunnies once you remember that it has the accuracy for head shots at just about any range out to 150 yards. (I'm sure some will take head shots at even greater ranges than that and that the gun is well capable of doing the job extremely well) I am so comfortable with mine that I am seriously thinking of just keeping and using my 17HMR for ALL of my bunny bashing, both daytime (long range) shooting and for "shorter ranges" while out with the lamp!

Sorry, I can't resist asking ........................ Was the Hot Water Bottle a Head Shot or one in the "Boiler Room"?

my issue is unless sound is an issue why take a gun that limits your range by half. It fits nicely in a gap between a.22lr and centrefire, you get the odd smacked up rabbit but I'd prefer that to getting runners.

I am in 100% agreement with you on this one. The only thing that really restricts my range with the 17HMR to a maximum of 150 yards for rabbits is a lack of confidence in my shooting and the fact that I would not want to shoot at something if I wasn't sure of killing it cleanly!

:good: it was an ordinary mineral water bottle mate, boiler room shot, the impact catapulted it about 10 feet away from where it had been sitting, funny thing too was the cap blew off and the side split with the change in pressure.

i cant see myself using the 10/22 as much anymore either, i put the moderator on it yesterday and was using cci subs (700ish fps), it was quieter than an air rifle, so itll be handy in one or two areas i shoot, but mostly itll be the hmr. just need to get it screw cut and get the moderator on it before i go deaf :good::lol:

no i cheated :hmm:

i had a spare plastic weaver rail, so i screwed the sling stud out of the stock, put the rail on and then used an old stud (which was longer) to go through the middle of the rail into the predrilled hole, then just twisted it in tight - happy days :good:

oh **** yes :lol:

out on saturday and monday, cant rem sat at mo, think i got one rabbit (:good:) but monday i got two rabbits, one 50 yards (freestanding) and one 100 yards (leaning on a wall), missed a greyback at 170 yards tho, saw the round hitting 2" below it and spooked it, very happy so far though :good:

interesting to note, it was quite windy on monday, the round dont seem to be as affected by the wind as much as i was led to believe :lol: