Spring watch -

Dunkield

I got news that I (and the others) had lost my rabbit shooting permission last week, only to find out half an hour later after a lot of asking I had gained the permission to shoot the muntjac on another previously rabbit/fox only permission.

I went out for a pre-beers stalk with a mate on Saturday evening, I know that lay of the land quite well so knew where to look and where not to bother based on where they normally are when I hadn't been allowed to shoot them.

Half an hour of very slow, walk a few steps, stop scan round type stalking my mate spotted a small doe.

She hadn't seen us so it was just a case of waiting for a nice broadside opportunity and shot her.

One down, happy with that.

Didn't have the camera with me so this is the only 'after' picture:

P1040503__Medium_.JPG

We went back early doors Sunday morning, mainly for a head clearing walk in the fresh air but also to see have good spy round to get an accurate estimate of total numbers.

We were both so mesmerized watching this roe buck and failed to spot the muntjac doe stood about 15 feet away from it.

Which of course legged it to safety :yp:

Bad photo of a nice 6 point buck with some potential.

P1040505__Medium_.JPG

I fancied another quick mooch about after work yesterday, so I got over there at about 5pm, and again using the ultra slow walk and spy method picked up a muntjac buck feeding totally unaware of my presence about 110 yards away.

I got to within about 70 yards of it, but didn't want to risk getting any nearer, sat down and got steady on the sticks and dropped him as he turned to make his way back into the woods.

Two down, even happier now :look:

P1040508__Medium_.JPG

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SS it's Richards Microfit stock, trust me it looks rubbish close up despite the fact it photographs well.

The whole sorry tale is on this forum somewhere, please don't make me re-tell it I have only just recovered from the trauma.

Good news is, it was free in the end :yp:

EDIT: wasn't as hard to find as I thought, it's in 3 gripping installments and it all starts here:

http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/ind...My+next+project

Forgot to add Wickes do a handy Muntie sized bucket for 4 quid to keep the blood out of your motor.

Nice change to your permision Stu :o

I would personaly prefer to keep the munty as straight as possible, its easier to skin and butcher. :o

You will have to get yourself a bigger vehicle soon i think.

Went for another very quick mooch about after work today as it looked like the only bit of decent weather we will getting for a while.

The wind was coming from the opposite side of the land so I took the oppertunity to stalk it back to front as it were, and have a look at where the deer normally are.

After a bit very slow stalking about I saw a tiny muntjac doe walking slowly off in front of me and straight under the fence into the field next door, so I just watched her for a while before moving off.

Looking back to where I had been standing on previous visits I caught something brown at the base of a tree, I got the bins up and there was a decent sized roe doe chewing away quite happily, no more than 5 feet to her left was a nice muntjac buck that was making his way along the bank.

I am fairly sure this was the same one I saw last time, once I got into a shooting position I tracked him through the scope but he never dropped below the skyline - so he can keep for now.

I had a bit of wander round seeing what else I could see and then made my way back to the 'hot spot' where most of the deer activity is.

Having had a damn good spy round I just saw a medium sized muntjac doe standing motionless in front of a dead tree just looking at the ground in front of it.

I shuffled into a comfortable sitting position and got the sticks out ready, she still hadn't see me or moved from the spot, so it was just case of up the front leg and whack.

Straight down, about 90 yards away.

She looked fine from the outside.

P2040515.jpg

But inside things didn't look so clever, unless I am mistaken this is nasty liver fluke :good:

[sorry the picture isn't that good I had to take it mid gralloch with my non-bloody hand]

P2040516.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Went for another quick stalk about after work this evening, I had to come onto the the land from completely the wrong end wind wise so I wasn't expecting much.

No sooner had I thought it would just be a nice walk and a recce but better load up anyway something just disappeared out the corner of my vision, I could have sworn it was a rabbit but you never know round these parts.

The Roebuck pictured further up this thread put in an appearance so I watched him for a bit as I was a lot closer then I had been before.

As time was getting on I was just about to make my way slowly through the woods when I realised I had been stood so quietly that 2 muntjac had walked in behind me and were so preoccupied with eating bluebell shoots they hadn't see me - so it was a case getting the rifle up very very slowly and picking which one to shoot.

Caught red handed.

P1040520.jpg

That is 4 stalks, 4 shots, 4 Muntjac - obviously it can't go for ever like this but I am not complaining :yes:

I am fairly realistic about the possibility of getting through them and it getting harder to stalk, but for a small parcel of land I can't believe that I see 'new' deer each time, I wouldn't like to put an exact figure on them but I now reckon there must be 20+ munties and a dozen roe. I know it is is velvet so the antlers look way bigger than they are, but having been so focused on spotting muntjac, when I saw that roebuck again it looked like a red stag in my bino's :yes:

It seems they are very hard to exterminate so to speak as they just seem to move back into an area so though I guess it may go quiet for a while I severely doubt you'll ever clear them from the ground. On our ground they aren't shot at the moment but are close by and we go from times of seeing loads about to next to none just seems like they move about a fair bit. Got one buck that I've been seeing for the last year thats got a cracking head on it so must get organised to get the ok to shoot a few. Keep it up the freezer must be getting full by now :yes: