Different Cultures

waddy

A friend of mine's wife is from Nigeria. We went out for a meal last night and we got chatting about one thing and another.

She took a keen interest in my love of shooting and asked me if i would take her some bush chickens :oops: (pheasants) when I had some.

I told her it wasn't a problem and then enquired as to how they would be cooked.

They removed the innards as we do by more or less the same method and take the meat from the carcass and boil it all up in a pot - pretty average I thought.

What they do differently is boil the heads :lol: She said that in Nigeria the head is a delicacy ! They cook it whole and then split it at the beak and take all of the flesh (not that there is much) from the outside. She said the best bit is the brain and the eyes :lol:

At first I thought that it was a bit sinister but then thought that it is just a culture difference. They do not waste any of the meat at all - we are privileged enough over here to be able to throw away the bits we don't want. They use everything.

I wouldn't eat brains myself because of the way i have been brought up - i have just never been exposed to it and in my mind i tell myself it's wrong. But if it was what I had always been used to then obviously wouldn't have a problem with it.

I just thought I would share my conversation with you all as i found it very interesting to see someone elses point of view on it.

(I am almost tempted to watch her do one so I can see for myself - nothing wrong with trying new things)

:lol:

Edited by waddy

You can make your own mind up but I have nothing against it.

Oh no - don't get me wrong - I have nothing against it - just never thought about it - something new to me.

i would be interested to try it actually - it's just the stigma attached to it that would take some getting round.

Waddy,

I've been living in China for the last two years, and it certainly is eye opening. A favourite snack in the bars are Duck heads, chicken feet, ducks gizzard, Duck's feet webbing, it seems to be the women that eat them mostly. Nothing gets wasted here, the one thing that I've tried that was disgusting was Pigs brain, never again!!! Everything else has been OK. I have only refused two things, dog, (on principle) and shrimps that they eat live!

Hammy

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

MH, I have had the same thing in france and mine was definitely duck. Henry, they sell rabbits like that in the french supermarkets except they are skinned but still have the eyes connected. The sad reality is though that they have so few wild rabbits in France ( I have only seen 1 in France when I have stayed there for 2 weeks for the last two summer holidays) that they will be intensivly reared rabbits. They also have live ones for sale in the market for food which I don't approve of as they sit in cages which are so small that they can't turn around. Sometimes I really just don't like the French. :lol:

Anyway rant over :D

FM :)