what range should i zero in air rifle

xX Hunter UK Xx

i have bought a BSA ultra tactical that has a amazing silencer and i have killed at around 40 yards. i was just wondering what would be the best range to zero in the air rifle for just walking round a field and woods killing pest species. and i was also wondering if changing the magnification on the scope would change the position of the cross hairs to suit the range

i have bought a BSA ultra tactical that has a amazing silencer and i have killed at around 40 yards. i was just wondering what would be the best range to zero in the air rifle for just walking round a field and woods killing pest species. and i was also wondering if changing the magnification on the scope would change the position of the cross hairs to suit the range

Use this mate Chairgun

It'll give you all the info you need.

I always stay on the same magnification x7 for me (fixed scopes now though), makes rangefinding easy when you get to know the size of your quarry.

There are several factors which help you decide the best distance for zeroing a gun ,power output ,weight of pellet ,calibre and a few more but as a general rule of thumb and assuming its not FAC (over 12ft lbs)start with 35yds for .177 calibre and 30yds if its .22 calibre.

Then as a few of the other guys have suggested try various distances at 5 yd intervals to determine your hold over/under ,ideally you should be trying to get as many of your shots within 1 mil dot of zero,so something like this

25 YDS = 1 MILDOT OVER

30 YDS =1/2 MIL DOT OVER

35 YDS =ZERO

40 YDS =1/2 MILDOT UNDER

45YDS= 1 MIL DOT UNDER

This is only a rough illustration as every scope and gun is different ,but it gives you a good starting point .

Good Luck

HHHmmmmm

If you have killed @40 yds what was the gun zerod at when you did it ?

When your walking round a field what pest species do you encounter ?

What mag is your scope on because the cross hairs are constant ?

Sorry but if you read your post , you dont sound like someone who has killed at 40 yds

HHHmmmmm

If you have killed @40 yds what was the gun zerod at when you did it ?

When your walking round a field what pest species do you encounter ?

What mag is your scope on because the cross hairs are constant ?

Sorry but if you read your post , you dont sound like someone who has killed at 40 yds

I'm not haveing a go here as we all had/have to start somewhere, but I tend to go along with this......... and you zero for your requirements and ability and the tool, it doesn't matter what zero anyone else uses!

...and I just don't like the words kill/killed/killing etc, no, I'm not getting soft and I've done more than my fair share, but there are less emotive words to use in this daft PC age we live in!!

ATB! :good:

.25 12ft lb bsa tactical is zero'd at 20yds on low mounts making it also dead on at 10yds. this rifle is purely for ratting.

.25 26ft lb theoben eliminator is zero'd at 50yds and is used for rabbits and rooks/pidgeons.

regulated .177 aas200 arriving next week will be zero'd at around 35yds and will be used for rabbits/rats in conjunction with nv.

At presant I'm zeroed at 10yds because this is the distance I'm shooting at mostly & know the aim points for out to 20/25yds.

If I was to use it for a walk about I'd re zero at about 25yds & find my new aim points.

However when I've finnished in the barn I'll be useing it to shoot up into a tree.

Thatt info will be totally useless to you.