Pes Scout

charlie 1

Hi Guys,

was hoping some of you may be able to help.

i have a 223 which up till now i have shot without a moderator, i decided because of the noise mainly that i ought to shoot with a mod.

so after a long chat with gun shop and a few people it was decided i would get a pes scout.

i have now tried 2 and both haven't been very good. the groups arn't great but also the shots keep climbing higher and higher after the first shot. i have tried cleaning the gun, ensuring the moderator is on tight enough, where i could get a half inch group at 150 yrds without the mod i now struggle to hit a 4 inch group and it has lifted so high it missed the target completely ( there was a very safe backstop so was still safe). you cannot strip the scout down to clean it properly and it leaves alot of soot/oily substance on the thread of the rifle which appears to go in around an inch in the muzzle, we cleaned this off after every shot for 5 shots and the groups where better but i cannot do this when trying to lamp etc, and tbh cleaning a rifle after every single shot is no good to anyone trying to shoot vermin. i then put a group out without cleaning and the group scattered and lifted again.

i am quite experianced with shooting and understand that 1st shot after cleaning can move the round off target, but even after 3 or 4 rounds they still climb and scatter

I was wondering if anyone had any similar problems or knew of anyone else who has had problems with this mod. i am thinking about changing the mod to a wildcat, i don't like the ace mods so does anyone have reviews on the wildcat.

thanks for any help or suggestions.

Charlie

i am quite experianced with shooting and understand that 1st shot after cleaning can move the round off target, but even after 3 or 4 rounds they still climb and scatter

You will find it actually takes about 5 shots to get the zero back. Just don't clean it that often. I can't remember the last time I cleaned my centrefires.

thing is there isn't much consistancy even after 5 or 10 shots, also i am a big believer in a clean rifle, to prevent fouling etc.

the gun was factory screwcut. but i will ask my mate if i can borrow his mod today and see the results.

thanks for the suggestions, much appreciated.

charlie

thing is there isn't much consistancy even after 5 or 10 shots, also i am a big believer in a clean rifle, to prevent fouling etc.

the gun was factory screwcut. but i will ask my mate if i can borrow his mod today and see the results.

thanks for the suggestions, much appreciated.

charlie

After how many shots do you clean your rifle? You can clean your gun too often, which causes a zeroing nightmare.

You will find it actually takes about 5 shots to get the zero back. Just don't clean it that often. I can't remember the last time I cleaned my centrefires.

Interesting, seems we have a very different take on this, I clean my guns and mods all the time, and you seldon do apparently.

Many suggest it takes large numbers of shots to get rifles shooting again after a clean.

NOT so in my experience, if you do it regularly and efficiently it will probably take just one shot to get it shooting straight again, two at the very most. This is nothing to do with laying down lead or copper down a barrel, that is the last thing you want, you want a clean barrel, it is to do with removing any traces of cleaning fluids or oil!

So, whilst I spend a lot of time cleaning, I don't waste any time or money on ammo or re-zeroing!

Swings and roundabouts, each to their own!

After how many shots do you clean your rifle? You can clean your gun too often, which causes a zeroing nightmare.

Sorry chap, we are not on the same hymn sheet at all here, cleaning your rifle BADLY too often will do you no favours, cleaning your rifle regularly and EFFICIENTLY will only help you!

As said above, I do not have any zeroing nightmares, I don't have to re zero!!

ATB!! :)

Sorry chap, we are not on the same hymn sheet at all here, cleaning your rifle BADLY too often will do you no favours, cleaning your rifle regularly and EFFICIENTLY will only help you!

As said above, I do not have any zeroing nightmares, I don't have to re zero!!

ATB!! :)

The only rifle I do clean in my .17HMR after about 500 shots when the zero starts to drift.

When I say cleaning all the time can make you lose your zero, I mean religiously. I've heard of people cleaning after every two shots, which can't be good for the zero. That was what I was trying to rule out as a reason for the zero being a problem

Quite rightly, as you put it; 'swings and roundabouts' You clean all the time and have no issues and I never clean and my rifles and I have no issues :yes:

Has the OP tried different ammo? GaryB spent over £300 on .223 ammo which he couldn't zero for love nor money, and it turned out his gun didn't agree with the weight of the bullet. He changed the weight and it'll now shoot a gnat's nuts off at 200 yards.

I had a T12 short on my .223 it was absolutely fine accuracy wise, the POI changed a lot mod on/mod off but that was due to the barrel thickness and length.

The stringing sounds to me like pssibly heat :yes: how long do you wait between shots?

If you have any way of checking it on another rifle I would do that, you don't want to buy another mod just to find out it was the thread/rifle.

If you decide it is the mod, and you get rid of it, get an ASE Utra :)

just because its been"factory thread cut" doesnt mean its been a decent job, ive heard lately of some factory thread cuts that borederred on unsafe and down right dodgy!!!

1) do you have the right calibre moderator for the rifle? not too small etc

2) with being thread cut is the crown of the rifle ok? if the crown is slightly marked damaged accuracy WILL suffer

3) is the moderator on hand tight and not " loose " ?

sauer

Is your barrel still free floating with the mod on?

I know it sounds stupid, but some more flexible stocks just can't take the weight of the mod without flexing and touching the barrel, which ruins the barrel harmonics.

I clean regularly, and the mod comes off to be stored. I never, never have to re-zero!

ft

Hi everyone.

thank you very much for all your help and suggestions, i have read through them and tried various different things while testing it today.

from the looks of it, it is soot/oily substance which is being blown back into the barrel after shooting, which then effects the poi.

i am going again tomorrow to try a different round using a different and hopefully cleaner powder in order to see if i get the same amount of soot coming back into the barrel. so it may well not be the moderator but as the moderator won't strip down you can't clean it making this a harder process.

thanks again for all advice.

charlie