shooting a .22 air rifle in garden

xX Hunter UK Xx

The simple answer is yes, from what you have said so far. If a neighbour decides they don't like the noise of pellets hitting targets they could complain that you are causing a nuisance. So long as nobody minds, then you are totally legal.

However... if you are wanting to kill quarry in your garden you have the same rules as anywhere else, which is the General License terms do apply, so unless you have good reason to kill things then you cannot.

If the pellet never leaves your garden, it shoud be legal to do so. Iv shooting for years in my terraced garden on the South Wales valleys. Only one come back from the police for doing it. I had an old grumpy neighbour once living 9 doors down from me. I had the police call around one afternoon about 10yrs back. A complaint had been made by a neighbour about air rifle pellets being shot into his back yard and named me as the culprit. I asked them if i could see the pellets if they had any. They showed me the pellets allegedly shot from my gun into my neighbours yard. I duely said they are not the make i am using. They were a cheap make called marksman pointed. I was using HN field target trophy and i used to by bulk batches of 5000. I showed the police the tins i had left and they seemed a bit confused. I then took them to see my set up i had in my garden. Which they said was in order and they couldn't see how a pellet could have been rebounded if at all from my pellet catcher never mind 9 houses down. It turned out that my grumpy old neighbour had bought a cheap pack of pellets from our local gun a tackle shop. And spread a few around his back yard. Then tried to pin me for shooting them into is yard. He had a right ticking off from the police and i have never had a more come backs since. Though that grump old neighbour did dy about 3 yrs later. Just goes to show how some one can easerly make another persons life hard just for vendictive kicks.

The only problem could be if a neighbour, a few doors away, reports that a 'bullet' as they would call it, whizzed passed their head. I believe that the police would take their report as accurate, and it would be up to you to prove that you did not fire the rifle in their direction. This has actually happened to a mate of mine a few years ago, but the 'accuser' changed his story, and was warned for wasting police time.

If you have a decent 6' close-boarded fence, a pellet-catcher behind your target (kill the clang with some old carpeting) and a silenced pcp, your neighbours will hardly notice.

Put out a bird-table with a nutfeeder on it and you will get squirrels aplenty (until you've shot em all)

I shoot a regular supply of wood-pigeons off my veggie patch

Is there a public highway nearby? ie:road or pavement? i'm sure a read somewhere that you had to be a certain distance away from any public highway to be able to use an air rifle :hmm:

Not that old chestnut again... the law states it's an offence to discharge a weapon within 15 meters (or 50 feet) of a highway (this does not include footpaths/bridleways etc) ....and here's the important bit.... if doing so would cause danger or disruption to a user of said highway

Edited by Colster

Not that old chestnut again... the law states it's an offence to discharge a weapon within 15 meters (or 50 feet) of a highway (this does not include footpaths/bridleways etc) ....and here's the important bit.... if doing so would cause danger or disruption to a user of said highway

isnt the law even more perverse than that in the fact it states disrupting a lay person using the highway.

OK so I couldn't be bothered to find the exact wording earlier....

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway having vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

This is the EXACT wording

Highways Act 1980 section 161 (2)

If a person without lawful authority or excuse;

(a) lights any fire on or over a highway which consists of or comprises a carriageway; or

(:good: discharges any firearm or firework within 50 feet of the centre of such a highway, and in consequence a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered, that person is guilty of an offence and liable to a fine not exceeding level 3 on the standard scale.

For the purposes of this law, (Section 161 (2) of the Highway Act 1980) a highway is restricted to a public right of way for the passage of vehicles and does NOT include footpaths, cycle tracks or bridleways.

ATB!!

• 7 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...