Chain saw wont start help please.

harrycatcat1

Went to my McCulloch chain saw yesterday and the flippin thing wont start. It worked about 2 weeks ago and seamed fine.

I have checked the plug and there is a spark but I don't know if its good enough as I cant find my feeler gauges to check the gap.

It has plenty of 2 stroke fuel in, in fact when I have tried to start it pulling a dozen times (till exhausted) fuel drips out of the exhaust.

Do spark plugs just pack up?

Any ideas anyone?:hmm:?:hmm:

edited to say I have not touched the plug before or serviced it in 3 or 4 years :oops::lol: but it only gets used for about 6 hours a year max, its not a work tool as you might say.

Edited by harrycatcat1

Plugs can be a problem.I wee rub with sand paper and either close/open to get a decent spark.If petrol is coming out its getting flooded,so try pulling without choke for a while.Another thing to try,is when its all dried out,pour a little bit of petrol in the plug hole,screw back in and a decent spark should kick her in to life.

Edited by sako751sg

Plugs can be a problem.I wee rub with sand paper and either close/open to get a decent spark.If petrol is coming out its getting flooded,so try pulling without choke for a while.Another thing to try,is when its all dried out,pour a little bit of petrol in the plug hole,screw back in and a decent spark should kick her in to life.

I have done that mate - nothing :oops:

Thanks chaps I will look at the air filter in the morning as I have just washed my hands and put plasters on the blisters that the thing has caused with trying to start the flippin thing. Also took the skin off my first two knuckles catching on the plastic vents on the side. :oops:

Thanks again I will let you know how I get on. :lol::hmm::hmm:

Thanks chaps I will look at the air filter in the morning as I have just washed my hands and put plasters on the blisters that the thing has caused with trying to start the flippin thing. Also took the skin off my first two knuckles catching on the plastic vents on the side. :oops:

Thanks again I will let you know how I get on. :lol::hmm::hmm:

I think the filter will be behind the knuckle skinning vents

take the plug out and pull it over half a dozen times to dry the bore out.clean the plug,even a tiny bit of carbon will mess the spark up.put the plug back and try again.if that doesn,t work repeat the prosses but put a drop of petrol in the bore as said.

take the plug out and pull it over half a dozen times to dry the bore out.clean the plug,even a tiny bit of carbon will mess the spark up.put the plug back and try again.if that doesn,t work repeat the prosses but put a drop of petrol in the bore as said.

I have done that mate and no luck, I am putting all my chips on the air filter being blocked/needs cleaning. I have just thought, will it be one that you can wash out or a paper one? Does anyone know?

My stihl wouldnt start because the piston rings had gone, but check the fuel filter, you will need ta get a long thin peice of wire and bend a hook on it and then you go fishing for the filter :lol:

It seems to have a good compression as when the plug was out I put my thumb over the hole and pulled the starter and it was hard to pull the starter. :oops:

Sounds like you just flooded it. Were you pulling it with the choke closed all the time?

When you're starting it from cold, set it to the start position with the choke closed; then as soon as you hear it almost start, open the choke and give it another pull or two.

Edited by lambhat

This morning I have cleaned the air filter, drained the fuel been to garage and got fresh petrol and oil mix, fetched new plug from B&Q, tried to start it with choke open choke closed I have even tried offering it money but it still wont start.

Plan B is to contact someone who pm'd me in my area said they would have a look for me, top man eh. :yes:

Sounds like you just flooded it. Were you pulling it with the choke closed all the time?

When you're starting it from cold, set it to the start position with the choke closed; then as soon as you hear it almost start, open the choke and give it another pull or two.

:yes::hmm: a lot of people make that mistake ;)

I dont know too much about McCullock saws but being a tree surgeon the amount of people who ask me about repairing there saws that theyve brought from B&Q screwfix etc. The trouble is they arent designed to be servicable, the reason theyre cheap is that theyre meant to be used for a few years then thrown away and a new one brought. I recommend up grading to a cheap stihl. You can pick up a fairly decent one for just under £200. My boss still got his stihl 181 from about 6 years ago. He only uses it for **** timber that he doesnt want to wreck his good saw on but its still down some hard work and parts are dirt cheap. Dont ever buy a cheap Husky, the quality is shocking on the cheap ones.

If you are going to try to repair the one youve got then the advice from everyone on here is pretty much spot on.

1) Check filters, air and petrol. Petrol filter will most likely be on short hose inside tank.

Switch saw on, dont use choke or primer if fitted, give it about 30 odd pulls, then try using half choke (if not fitted use full choke), only try about 5/6 pulls, dont want to make the problem worse.

If none of that works:

2) Clean spark plug up or replace, pretty cheap part and may sort the problem out.

If this doesnt work then I would replace, you will end up wasting too much time/money on it.

Hope you get her going

Rob

:hmm:;) a lot of people make that mistake :good:

Remove plug and pop a lit spill into the plug'ole to ignite the excess fuel*

when you have put out the burning hair on the back of your hands

(ok I know some of PW have it on the palms as well :mad:) replace the plug having first got it good and hot on the gas stove ring then give it a whirl.

btw I managed to trap the lead against chassis which does a really

good job of earthing it while still giving a weak spark

* always a good idea to wear gloves when doing this as the flash goes a long way

and for petes sake keep your face away to the side unless you want to look the same

complexion as Dale Winton :yes: