Are you siiting comfortably ?

Cranfield

What do you sit on in your hide ?

To short circuit the obvious answer I will give it to you.

"My a**e". :thumbs:

Right now for the serious responses.

I have always used a shooting stick and recently I  bought a three legged shooting stick with a larger canvas seat.

This is a lot more comfortable and the three legs stop the stick gradually sinking deeper into the ground.

This is an alarming sensation as you think you are shrinking.:D

Many years ago I used a 5 gallon drum, but I got fed up carrying it about.

When I was shooting on a bank or other uneven ground, it was uncomfortable and difficult to sit on.

I have seen a few adverts lately for a canvas duffle bag with a drum inside it, this combines as a bag for decoys etc. and a seat.

Has anyone had any experience of these ?

Are you prepared to recommend them ?

Or do you use something better ?

Cranfield,I had a look at the bucket seats from N+S and they were comfy to sit on,the drum had a foam top on it.The bag was of a good size to get your nets and decoys in but I don't know the price.I use the fishing stools with the rucksack attached,they cost £28 in the gun shops but I got mine from argos for £6.........sadly they no longer sell them.... :thumbs:

I use something similar to what you describe.

A canvas "sea sack" with a plastic drum inside. Sea sacks are available from army surplus stores for about £10 and the plastic drum is an ex curry spice drum which I bought from a stand at the Midland Game Fair, about £5 , but I have seen them advertised in shooting times also. These drums are about 50L capacity and are a snug fit in the sea sack. I can fit all my nets and several deeks inside the drum and once in the hide I just turn the drum over and sit on it. All in all it's not too heavy and quite comfortable on the bum.

I am now seriously considering the "drum in the kitbag" idea.

A few more questions though.

What about stability on uneven ground or a slope ?

Do you just dig a flat spot for it to sit on ?

Is the drum plastic or metal ?

If its plastic ,is it still rigid with one end cut off ?

If its metal does it rust ? Is that a problem ?

I use a folding canvas chair which is light & comfortable. I bought a folding stool at the gamefair, which is slightly taller than the usual ones, which means it's not such an effort to get up & shoot if I want to.The other good thing about it being taller, is that, if the ground is a bit soft & the stool sinks. I don't end up sitting on the floor. Kev's had a bucket in his  rucksack for a while now, but he's give that idea up recently & gone back to a stool. I'll try & find out why!

Like Deako, I got a stool with the rucksac attached from Argos (and he has the cheek to call me tight).  I find it a good seat but the rucksac is a bit too small.  When I'm out shooting crows, I have to take 2 bags to hold 8 full bodied decoys  :thumbs: .  Does anybody know if you can get crow shell deeks like the pigeon ones??  If not,  how do you carry loads of gear with you??

Hi

I have used the bucket in the sack for a while.  I got one of the sea sacks as mentioned by Malc and then got a large bucket (used for the glue they stick labels on wine bottles) stuck some thick foam to the base and then placed it in the sack.

It worked well  you could but the gear in the sack lump it on ya back to were ever you wanted to sit empty the kit, turn the sack over and low and behold a seat that worked well, even on fairly uneven ground.

The reason I have changed back is purely because with the bucket being round “like me" it wasn’t very stable on your back it kept rolling side to side and after a few hours it got a bit hard on me **** (which unlike the rest of me doesn’t have much padding).

If you can get an old oil drum and flatten the side you wouldn’t have such a problem.

Hope this helps  

Kev

(the man with no ****)