Build up or pitting?

Schern

I've got a 1985 Beretta 682 Sporting and there seems to be some build up or pitting just after the forcing cone. How do I tell the difference? It looks like it's sitting every so slightly higher than the wall so I think it's build up but a good scrub with phosphor-bronze brush and bore cleaner doesn't seem to shift it. Apart from this the barrels are pretty much spotless and if it is build up then I'd like to get rid of it! Don't think I can get a picture as it's difficult to get the lighting and everything right and it's too far into the barrel to be able to feel with your finger. Anyone got any DIY suggestions or is it a take to a gunsmith job?

I've got a 1985 Beretta 682 Sporting and there seems to be some build up or pitting just after the forcing cone. How do I tell the difference? It looks like it's sitting every so slightly higher than the wall so I think it's build up but a good scrub with phosphor-bronze brush and bore cleaner doesn't seem to shift it. Apart from this the barrels are pretty much spotless and if it is build up then I'd like to get rid of it! Don't think I can get a picture as it's difficult to get the lighting and everything right and it's too far into the barrel to be able to feel with your finger. Anyone got any DIY suggestions or is it a take to a gunsmith job?

same here,i have a winchester sx3 and has some marks just after the forcing cone,tried brush with bore cleaner and couldn't shift it,i took it to gun shop because i thought there was a problem with the chrome in the barrels but gunsmith said it was definately plastic build up,took gun home and spent a couple of hours trying to remove it,no chance just a handful of blisters,will try again when my hands recover,

andrew

Have you tried the type of brush in the photo below? This is what I use when I get build up.

Hoppes_Tornado_Brushes-s.jpg

Dan

Is that a chamber brush? Saw an article in a copy of Pull! that described using a chamber brush attached to an electric drill as suggested by Paul223 and then following up with a bronze brush but I didn't know if a chamber brush was just for chambers only and could damage the chroming in the barrel (assuming my barrels are chromed, they look very shiny)?

Is that a chamber brush? Saw an article in a copy of Pull! that described using a chamber brush attached to an electric drill as suggested by Paul223 and then following up with a bronze brush but I didn't know if a chamber brush was just for chambers only and could damage the chroming in the barrel (assuming my barrels are chromed, they look very shiny)?

Not sure really when I got it as part of a kit is was a loose fit in the chamber but very tight in the barrel, however, once through a couple of times it got easier. I don't think it would damage your barrels as it is still just brass and they flex. No need to turn with a drill or in fact at all just push straight through. There would be no advantage to turning this brush.

Dan

Had the same problem on my urika 2 semi, got my self a proper chamber brush then put some 009 on a mop and patch then left it in the barrel at the point of fouling for 2 days the gave it a good scrub with the chamber brush with a patch on and soaked in 009, ( they are very slightley bigger) then ran a patch on a mop again with 009, JOB DONE

MICK

LINK--http://www.####.co.uk/red-kite-chamber-brush-handle-344-p.asp