What is the best watch you have ever owned?

christy

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Am I reading this right - an IWC watch weigh's 1.00k

http://www.portagadgets.com/uk/product.php?productid=32109

Nice watch that was posted.

I can't wear these big watch's as I have small wrists :no:

Dave

No they don't weigh 1KG. They weigh around 100-150g demending on model and metal.

The thing about big watches is they have got bigger and bigger over the recent years. I used to think my Breitling as big when I bought it about 10 years ago. Now it just looks small. It's the fashon I suppose and it will change.

My favourite is my Rolex Submariner won at the final Rolex sponsored British Olympic Trap Grand Prix in 1997, a pity I didn't bother to get it upgraded to the date adjust version they'd have done it for about £40. As previously said they're not the best timekeepers mine loses a minute or so every couple of days.

The best cheapo watch I had was an Avro advertised many years ago in Sporting Gun for £12.95 I think, Its got a green plasticky case and had a rubber type strap. The thing that drew me to it was how great the luminescence of the hands and numeral indicators was - it literally glowed in the dark.

Im not watch expert by any means but an experienced collector.

Ive had most of the top brands come through my hands over the years.

Many of these are ridiculously overpriced you are paying for the name and in some cases an average movement. Japanese movements are the best as they take the best swiss movements and improve them.

I currently alternate between a Citizen Ecodrive Chronograph a Tissot and my favourite maker, an Oris Williams Day date.

My best watch in my collection is a 1943 Panerai Luminor made in italy for the Navy with a Rolex movement. It has radioactive lumious paint and massive numerals so it can bee seen at depth in murky water. I paid £2000 for it in 1999 with the money saved for a new AYA after seeing a similar model on antiques roadshow.

Last year Sotherby auctioned an identical watch for over 20K.!

The best value watches on the Market currently are probably Lorus as they are essentially rebadged Citizens.

Many of the major makers dont even make their own movements

Best in my opinion was the original quartz Seiko Divers 150m with rubber strap when they first came out and I had one in the mid-late 70s.

They came in blue/red bezels - I and 2 friends acquired the limited black bezel versions at £75.00 (less than half price at the time). The battery was quoted as 3yrs and lasted 5!! 10 years on sold it for I think £79 and regret it to this day - whatever I threw at it couldnt scratch the glass or the case (includes labouring, building etc). Fella said he was in 'special forces' (had several ID cards including as a priest..) took my arm off (and one of my friends as well) for them - my biggest regret.

Replaced with GMT Master, GMT II and Sub-date but not the same.

Seamaster Chro (blue dial) isnt bad or my old Fortis Marinemaster circ 1978 (£25) - limited for military use at the time and still going - even if I have to send it to Switzerland for a service at heavy cost.

Note: all mechanical movements (age related thing)!!.