Barbed/Razor wire in fields. Why ?????

One f the farms i shoot on it crop only, never had animals on there but there is still rusty barb wire in the hedgerow. i watch my dog like a hawk as i have seen what it can do and felt it myself a few time. i have 3 scare on me. on last year when i tripped over rusty wire and put a 4" cut up the leg. then there was me running from a farmer when i was a lad, dived over a fence and there was wire on top, caught my leg a good un. and then there was the time i was climbing over the stuff, stood on bottom row of fence and cocker one leg over, at that moment the wire U-nail came out and i landed on the top row with leg either side. the wire went right up my *&% that was the bad one, i couldn't sit down for a long time.

i try not to let my cocker to free run if i don't know the land or i know there's wire around as he does everything at a million miles an hour so he wouldn't stop if he hit the stuff.

Speedy recovery to you pup sir.

Kind regards

Phil.

One f the farms i shoot on it crop only, never had animals on there but there is still rusty barb wire in the hedgerow. i watch my dog like a hawk as i have seen what it can do and felt it myself a few time. i have 3 scare on me. on last year when i tripped over rusty wire and put a 4" cut up the leg. then there was me running from a farmer when i was a lad, dived over a fence and there was wire on top, caught my leg a good un. and then there was the time i was climbing over the stuff, stood on bottom row of fence and cocker one leg over, at that moment the wire U-nail came out and i landed on the top row with leg either side. the wire went right up my *&% that was the bad one, i couldn't sit down for a long time.

i try not to let my cocker to free run if i don't know the land or i know there's wire around as he does everything at a million miles an hour so he wouldn't stop if he hit the stuff.

Speedy recovery to you pup sir.

Kind regards

Phil.

Totally agree with you. Where my dog got injured there's no sheep,cows or any other stock anywhere within at least two miles otherwise she would not be off the lead as i can't trust her fully not to worry cattle. So yes maybe one day there used to be stock on this field but not for the past few years as it is crop only so therefore the barb should be removed, it is all rusty anyway and some parts of it is rusting away. However it can still inflict nasty injuries.

kind regards

george

Barbed wire is a pain but necessary, my GSP makes me wince going anywhere near it as, like yours, she's got little in the way of protection....i'd think about insurance as she's likely to do it, (or something simillar), again during her shooting life.............lovely mutt and he hope she recovers well :good:

Read my post again and point out where I said I have barbed wire running through a thick hedge.

I am amazed by the ignorance being shown by some people here.

Harry

You never made a quote about barb through hedges, i made that quote. And if i am ignorant you must off course be very Clever.

Barbed wire is a pain but necessary, my GSP makes me wince going anywhere near it as, like yours, she's got little in the way of protection....i'd think about insurance as she's likely to do it, (or something simillar), again during her shooting life.............lovely mutt and he hope she recovers well :good:

Thanks for your comment. I do have insurance so i shall only have to pay the excess, unless there is some little print in insurance document about barb wire.

regards

George.

Any farmer reading this thread would be justified in being a bit ****** off with the attitude of some shooters.

The ones whose land I shoot on certainly wouldn't tolerate being reported to any authority. I think they may also have better things to do, than spend time removing barbed wire from around the farm.Even if it is for the shooters dogs welfare.

If you don't like it, there's a long line of shooters who would happily have the permision, with all it's barbed wire.

dont believe what im reading in here, so much for the rough, tough, country wise shooting men on this site :good:

few simple points to remember

1) as its the farmers land, he's perfectly entitled to put up whatever kind of fencing he wants (as long as its legal). you are a guest there.

2) an ordinary "sheep wire" fence will not stop several ton of beef trying to get through it, hence barbed wire is used

3) even if its only arable, barb wire can still be used as, a - the field might not always be used for crops, so will need to be fenced for livestock, and b - even if the field is ONLY used for crops, youll still have to keep live stock out of it - see 2

4) whichever genius asked the question about replacing barbed wire if its not needed anymore, see points 1, 2 and 3 above, and also do you know the financial and time cost of replacing barb wire thats technically no longer needed?? :P

5) it is YOUR resposibility to make sure the land is safe for the activites you wish to carry out. if you took a shot with a rifle and it hit someone, would you blame the farmer for not having a suitable backstop? or if you went tramping into an old ruined building which is obviously crumbling and unsafe, and some stone fell on you, would you blame the farmer?! yes, some of the situations the farmer could probably be held liable due to the prolific blame culture we live in, but id like to think if you hold a sgc/fac you have some bloody common sense not to do something so stupid! always check out land youll be shooting on for the 1st time, and always keep an eye out for things that might have changed since your last visit.

Edited by Ozzy Fudd

:good::P:D:lol:

Babbs has got it in one, and anyone out in the field should be careful and cautious. If you were driving along and burst your tyre on the kerb, would you blame the council, I think not. Let's be serious, barbed wire fences ARE effective - FACT and whether you like it or not accidents happen.

Hope the dog gets better soon :lol:

A bird pood on my shoulder last week and has ruined my top. I have reason to believe that said bird may have once in it's life flew over, or maybe landed on the farm at the back. Would I have a legal case against the farmer?

MF, hope that lovely looking dog of yours gets better quick. Barbed wire is just a British farming thing because when we had stone Walls built, it was built by peasants living on an estate. Our feudal system has long gone so barbed wire is the cheapest option for farmers. It may be worth investing in a skin stapler or surgical glue (learn animal first aid first though) and the smaller nicks can be repaired easily then.

I think most gundogs have a problem with barbed wire at some time in there working life mostley minor and the owner never knows but the dog learns to show it some respect i've had 6 cockers and only had 1 dog that had to see the vet because of barbed wire maybe i've been lucky.

post-2492-1270123665.jpgpost-2492-1270123650.jpg

Is a shame to see a dog injured especially such a nice looking one :) , but it has to be said these things are not exactly a hardy breed especially when young as yours appears to be. I have run spaniels, labs and more recently weimaraners. With my current weimaraner it has been up on blocks more times this last year than all my other dogs put together since the year dot. I have seen my labs and spaniels push through all kinds of **** including barbed wire and come out unscathed or carrying a minor mark, the weimaraner only has to look at a bed of nettles and is in the vets for half a dozen stitches to a foreleg or undercarriage. Thin skinned things but very nice to work when you have gotten rid of the 4 pogo sticks they come initially equipped with.

I do realise that barbed wire is a nessesary evil, i am very sorry for starting a war on here but was trying to understand why the need of it when no cattle is about thats all. Yes the kind of dog i have is not as hardy as the springers or labs that are mostly favoured by the british shooting community, but as i am from the continent were HPR'S are mostly favoured and worked i have grew up with these kind of breeds IE: german short haired pointers , visla, weimaraners, Italian spinone and Bracco so i am more comfortable in training these dogs, however i do completly agree that the Labs and spiringers and cocker spaniels are more suited to this country, on the other side of the coin i can say that i have also see nasty injuries to labs and springers hovever it is a fact that the short hair breed are more likely to get injuries.

To all good wishers, just like to say that she is getting better by the day, but obviously she is very bored with it all.

Regards to all

George.

Edited by Maltese Falcon

I can see where you are coming from George. Barbed wire has been around in the blink of an eye compared to how long dogs have been hunting companions (or how long humans have been rearing stock). In the old days it was hedges... that's a dying tradition and farmers have been encouraged to revive old hedges, as wildlife has suffered as a result. It's just not as easy or quick, cheap to be effective for hedges or dry-stoned walls.

It wouldn't be so bad if the wire was more visible, especially when rusty. and the worst bits are when the posts rot and the old rust wire just coils up and gets partially buried. Having said all that - my whippet's worst injury on barbed wire was through his own stupidity - he jumped over a fence to investigate some horse kaka and when he jumped back over he misjudged it. Fortunately it wasn't bad enough to require stitches, but it was horrific watching him getting barbs caught in his chest and hanging by it.

I am learning to lay hedges and do dry stone walls - maybe I can offer to replace some barbed wire over time and get some practice in? :)

Edited by nommo

I can see where you are coming from George. Barbed wire has been around in the blink of an eye compared to how long dogs have been hunting companions (or how long humans have been rearing stock). In the old days it was hedges... that's a dying tradition and farmers have been encouraged to revive old hedges, as wildlife has suffered as a result. It's just not as easy or quick, cheap to be effective for hedges or dry-stoned walls.

It wouldn't be so bad if the wire was more visible, especially when rusty. and the worst bits are when the posts rot and the old rust wire just coils up and gets partially buried. Having said all that - my whippet's worst injury on barbed wire was through his own stupidity - he jumped over a fence to investigate some horse kaka and when he jumped back over he misjudged it. Fortunately it wasn't bad enough to require stitches, but it was horrific watching him getting barbs caught in his chest and hanging by it.

I am learning to lay hedges and do dry stone walls - maybe I can offer to replace some barbed wire over time and get some practice in? :)

At last someone can understand where i am coming from.

Cheers Nommo.

I have barbed wire in my garden to keep the stock in my orchard and out of my garden. My GWP jumped it and caught his ball bag on the wire and ripped it open. It had to be pushed back in and stitched up.

The barbed wire is still there along with some electric fence. I just had to train him to say in the garden.

Harry