Fox calling -- advice needed.

crocket

Hi all,

New to this fox calling, but the farm where I shoot has a few which require removal quick and clean.

I have read several pieces about the subject but still confused. All advice gratefully accepted, But my main query is how to call them.

Do I used a CD, or the small electronic box thingies with different calls eg "Cass Creek Predator II", or is my hand as good as owt, but how do you stop yourself going blue in the face.

All replies welcome

Cheers

Crocket

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." ("General Introduction to Psychoanalysis," Sigmund Freud)

You can use an electronic predator call, we found them quite effective but if time is short and you need a quick sqeek use your hand......

Ive found the best way to do the hand call, is not wet the back of your hand....but do make breathing in kissie noises between your right hands thumb and the closest finger to the thumb,

Your thumb and closest finger should be closed, with like a cave hole that your finger has made that leads to the other fingers.......put your lips though there and squeeze them not too tight- with the rest of your fingers they should be about half closed, so the noise can escape from your hand louder than if the were fully opended :lol:

It doesnt take your breath away like this, so your not panting for the shot

Hope this makes sence, probably doesn't :lol:

Edited by Magpies are gay

think we've been here recently...piece of wet polystyrene on the windscreen/mirror whatever works wonders. All these new (electronic?) gadgets are fine for techys and boys who like their toys but the old ways still work and oft as not, better! Oh and they don't cost :D

Edited by Highlander

Did i not read somewhere on the site that it was breaking the law to use electronic devices to call animals in for shooting.

:*) :*) :*)

If im wrong which is more than likely i stand corrected :*)

Other option have a word with Tommy trucker about his fox whistle i got one and it works.

Edited by hawkeye

Bear with me, haven't got a digi cam or scanner, so no diagrams sorry....

you can make your own call using a wooden clothes peg and an old music cassette tape. Take the cassette apart and cut off the first couple of inches, it should be a clear bit of tape. Take the clothes peg apart and put them back to back so the flat bits are together. Take a bit of sand paper and gently sand the peg so that you are creating a small gap between the two bits of peg, just enough so you can blow air through. Stretch the small piece of tape and sandwhich it between the two pieces of peg. Secure the ends and gently blow. You should get some noise, you may need to stretch the tape to get the required noise. I have made one using some hazel twigs, and it also double's up as a roe call

Good luck

Kip270,i have made a few calls like you have described,i find they work realy well on wary foxes.If you nip the call gently in your teeth when using it you can vary the pitch.I was shown how to make one of these over twenty years ago,i recently brought a electronic call.To be honest i think the old methods work better

Rob G,

Same here can't beat the old and trusty methods, all this new techno stuff, we need to pass on the skills that we were shown when we were growing up, true fieldcraft, nothing better than making something yourself, and the rewards when they work add to it all ( i was shown it about 20years ago too,**** i am really that old???) I'm new to these forums, but hooked now, thanks everyone, advice is knowledge, knowledge is POWER............... :D

I think that sometimes people forget the main thing about getting a fox or any other creature.FIELDCRAFT.You can have the best call or best decoy pattern in the world.But if you are in the wrong place or the sunlight or moonlight is giving your location away.you are wasting your time.When i go foxing the main thing to take in to cosideration is wind,then the moonlight then my method of calling.Most of my lamping is done on foot at this time of year

:D Bang on target Rob G, Fieldcraft, i have always tried to get maps of the land i have permission to shoot on, if you know your ground you will increase your success rate like you wouldn't believe. You will know where to go before you get there depending on wind direction. Then when i have started to make a dent in the charlie population, i mark down on my maps where i have taken them, and the results will surprise you. Take one out and another will replace it. Study your quarry so you know what it is going to do before it doe's. I also have an array of calls and not just the one, Primos pro screamer, primos mouse call,fulhaber hare/mouse call,teal disc,3in1 call my home made call and my hand. Practice makes perfect(not really ideal to practice when the better half is watching her Tv soaps) My partner say's that i'm obsessed with my shooting, i say i'm obsessed with the countryside........

Did i not read somewhere on the site that it was breaking the law to use electronic devices to call animals in for shooting.

Mike

You can't use an electronic call to attract birds for the purpose of shooting them when they are in range...............you can however use this type of call to entice Charlie fox .

Kip

I use a call made of 4 reeds(Made by Primos) which when shaped will fit into the roof of your mouth and with PLENTY of practice will simulate a squealing rabbit perfectly, very similar to what your describing.

Cheers

Ive

Mike

You can't use an electronic call to attract birds for the purpose of shooting them when they are in range...............you can however use this type of call to entice Charlie fox .

Kip

I use a call made of 4 reeds(Made by Primos) which when shaped will fit into the roof of your mouth and with PLENTY of practice will simulate a squealing rabbit perfectly, very similar to what your describing.

Cheers

Ive

Quote ive

I new there was something you could not use them for thanks mate so if i happen to use one for crows i will just take a photo of them. (dead on the ground) :D:):lol:

Edited by hawkeye

is my hand as good as owt, but how do you stop yourself going blue in the face.

no it makes you blind mate not blue.

you dont need to suck it that hard (oh misses) you dont need to draw in a lot of air.wet the skin at the back of your thumb and first finger,then kiss it and suck.

you dont have to be very loud, but after time you will be able to get it as loud as you like. this time of year is probally the best time to learn. lots of young fox,s about. my daughter could call foxes at 10 year old.( thats not a jibe by the way)

what gun are you going to use.

Edited by markbivvy