Driven Days

Hubertus

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Next hunt was on the 29th of november. A cold morning but it started to get warmer while the hunt. Horrible weather conditions. Very wet. You didnt heard the game coming because everything was wet.

I only saw roe deer. But didnt want to shoot them because of my dog.

Hubertus

post-11-1136640484.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

and next hunt on the 7th of december.

A rainy day. Not best conditions for a very successfull day. Problem is: You dont hear them coming many time because of the much noise of the rain.

But the bag was still fine: 2 red stags, 16 fallow deer, 7 boar, 18 roe, one fox and one racoon dog.

Our older dog was hunting like hell (which is normall for him). I released him at ten o clock and he returned half past one o clock. He made some really good work on red deer as some guns told me later. He hunts like a devil and never care about being tired...

post-11-1138015117.jpg

next day (8th of december) we made a very small hunt. Only some dogmen. Intention was to give some dogs the chance to get the medal (not really the right word) of boar. That means only one dog will be released and must find and chase out and follow on his own boar. It must be seen by two judges of our club (www.deutscherwachtelhund.de).

It was on a military training area. There were some troops practising while we where hunting.

post-11-1138019795.jpg

that day there were quite a lot of red stags. In that part was only one group of boar. They dissappeared immediately while one dog was chassing out a group of stags at the other side (that happens always loud. That means the dog has to bark). The boar came out of the other end of the wood. The dog followed later the track of the boar but he has to find them and follow direct behind the boar. So it was bad luck at all.

But it was still a quite nice day :devil:

post-11-1138020153.jpg

the next hunt was the next day, the 9th of december. It was on another really big military shooting range and training area. IT was a really good hunt with a lot of game. Especially masses of red deer.

Our dogs did a really good job on red deer and boar.

The dog on the pic is our younger german spaniel after the hunt. Its near the place i was standing during the hunt.

post-11-1138020572.jpg

nice bag hubertus. where in germany were you hunting as i lived in ramstein at the base and my dad bought his mauser 30 06 of rthose kind of days but never got to use it because we were posted back to england, is there a place that you can pay to go on a day like that, for a holiday.

flash

Hi Flash,

i live in Göttingen. Thats in the middle of Germany. But we drive a lot around with our dogs. Means we are not only hunting where i live.

Most of the hunts where we are invited have paying guest. The land is owned by the state and managed by foresters. Some years ago they just invited people (mainly friends and so on) to the driven days but now the minister has decided that the hunts will be sold. If you want to know some tipps where to ask no problem. Let me know.

Hubertus

Next hunt was again the next day. It was the 10th of december. It was on the same military training area as the day before but in another area of the range (it has a total size of 10 000 hektar). It was again a good day with a lot of deer.

For the dogs it was quite hard. We had nearly every day a hunt the last two weeks. After that they needed a big rest. But it was nearly the end of season so it was ok.

You can see on the next pictures where i was standing that day. Its a view around. In my front was thick wood where red deer and boar where in. The dog chassed them out. I shot a calw out of the group of 12-15 red deer. It was one big stag and the rest hinds and calws.

post-11-1138124421.jpg

Edited by Hubertus

and another view.

Here i saw two fallow deer hinds. Could not shoot because there was no calw with them. Wasnt sure if the second one was a female yearling.

Later i shot there a roe kid. Was coming from the left side with the doe. And a little bit later i missed a boar coming from the right.

It was really a good day. I saw even lot more (mainly red deer).

post-11-1138125490.jpg

Edited by Hubertus