Remote Collers

Lloyd90

Any of you guys use a remote coller on your gundogs ?

I have been thinking about it to curb the problem of running off when spotting another dog. Several times now Skye has been under complete control and then spooted another dog n just dashed off to playv :lol: Sometimes crossing roads n once very nearly getting hit by a car :no:

This very much scared me and I would much prefer to give her a few zap's than to see her getting hit :lol:

I know some people think there cruel but Id rather that than the alternative :lol:

Anyone use them ? What are your views on them ?

An before someone chirps in, Yes I know they have been recently banned in Wales :lol: (In my opinion about as useless as the tail docking ban!) :no:

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Havent used on the dog for years,and for specific problems they can be ideal.The obvious thing not to do,is use it to try and cure all faults.Most faults can be rectified by going back to basic training,but if there is one that he commits regardless of you trying to stop it,then a zap or two can be an instant cure.

I've never used one, and agree with WGD, in that basic training is required here. I think the writing is on the wall for the electric collars after Wales banned them.

If you do want to try a training aid like that, try the Spray Commander, which is a remote collar which gives a high pressure squirt of liquid to the dogs face when you press the button. Just enough to make it stop and think......sometimes. No replacement for basic training though.

Been looking into getting one, have a look

on YouTube, I was surprised to see how the

Americans use them, but it makes sense;

not so much a distance chastisement, they issue

the command and "zap" the dog every second or

so until it complies, the dog learns to do as it's told

straight away to avoid the unpleasent sensation. The

collar's only on a setting just enough to be felt.

would never use one every problem has a solution using one of them shows a lack of ability on the handlers part not the dog

your not wrong :)

as i have a leg that does'nt work properly i bought one to correct the dog as soon as it does something wrong.not when i catch up with her or she come's back(to late then :lol: )

your not wrong :)

as i have a leg that does'nt work properly i bought one to correct the dog as soon as it does something wrong.not when i catch up with her or she come's back(to late then :hmm: )

Yer well with my Lab she knows exactly what she's doing is wrong when she does it, but shes a lil ****** sometimes so she does it anyways and then runs away when I get near her because she knows she's been naughty. She ran over 500m before n ended up on a road.

Quick zap from a remote trainer and she would have avoided the problem :lol:

Yer well with my Lab she knows exactly what she's doing is wrong when she does it, but shes a lil ****** sometimes so she does it anyways and then runs away when I get near her because she knows she's been naughty. She ran over 500m before n ended up on a road.

Quick zap from a remote trainer and she would have avoided the problem :)

remote collars have a place if there used properly,people who don't think they have just think the person holding the remote is stood there zapping their dog for the fun of it

Ayup peg' well said.

I got a cheap one off eBay in the end

as an experiment;

it vibrates, beeps, zaps and lights up.

Now, daisy can be an ignorant little bitch and

even dragging her back to where she ignored me

and giving a fairly harsh telling off and correction

wasn't working, heeling- she knew what I wanted

but would craftily find something more interesting

and completly ignore me, she's pure muscle so pulling

on the lead was getting to be a real problem (it hurt)

and nothing seemed to have any effect.

Now? Well, I've only had it about a week but she doesn't

pull on the lead anymore and walks to heel beautifuly. It

doesn't work well as a distance chastizement, I don't think

she understands (I think she thinks I want her to heel, when

she pays any attention to it) if there's something more interesting

she'll still ignore me. She seems more bothered by the vibrate

than the shock, I wasn't sure the shock worked but I zapped her full

blast while telling her off one day while holding her by the scruff and

felt her neck muscles tense (not that she seemed to notice).

It's enough to let her know she's done wrong now though and she

seems to be "getting it" and I can see how it'll help from here on,

it feels like we've turned a corner and everythings coming together,

maybe I couldve got the same result if I knew more but I don't and

it works well (and doesn't seem to cause any distress).

I think the important thing is to only use it when you have to...

Cheaper than a collar BIGTHUG, cut 4 foot or so off the end of your garden hose & lay into your pup with that every time your lack of training it the basics breaks down, it'll soon learn.

why go about a dog like that?

i'm sure your post is meant to rile someone but an E-collar has setting's.mine goe's from 1-8 and 1 through to 5 are'nt very strong.number 8 is like touching an electric fence.if you read up on how to use them your supposed to start off on the lowest setting and work your way up until the dog twitches it's head.this is the setting you need to work it on.if you've never seen one or yoiu've seen one being miss used then your going to have a negative outlook but if you've seen one used correctly then you might change your opininon.

they're not about punishing the dog,they're supposed to be used to correct the dog by breaking their attention :lol:

:lol: ZACLY!

Mine's got 100 settings on vibrate and shock but she doesn't notice it until I get to about 50 (I have it as low as possible, as already mentioned) not even the maximum is any worse than an electric fence and the only reason I went that high was because she shew absolutely no sign of noticing it (which I thought meant it wasn't working, naively).

I've been trying to do as I mentioned in an earlier post; pressing the button every second or so until she does as she's been told but it has no effect if she's found something more interesting so it cant be that bad eh?

she's just the same as she was; she'll listen up to about 50yds away because she knows I can get to her if she ignores me but will ignore me after that. Luckily, it seems to have been just the thing to get through to her when it comes to heeling and not pulling on the lead. Other than that, I'm not sure how much use it'll be for training as she can ignore it just the same as she can ignore me :lol:

Ayup peg' well said.

I got a cheap one off eBay in the end

as an experiment;

it vibrates, beeps, zaps and lights up.

Now, daisy can be an ignorant little bitch and

even dragging her back to where she ignored me

and giving a fairly harsh telling off and correction

wasn't working, heeling- she knew what I wanted

but would craftily find something more interesting

and completly ignore me, she's pure muscle so pulling

on the lead was getting to be a real problem (it hurt)

and nothing seemed to have any effect.

Now? Well, I've only had it about a week but she doesn't

pull on the lead anymore and walks to heel beautifuly. It

doesn't work well as a distance chastizement, I don't think

she understands (I think she thinks I want her to heel, when

she pays any attention to it) if there's something more interesting

she'll still ignore me. She seems more bothered by the vibrate

than the shock, I wasn't sure the shock worked but I zapped her full

blast while telling her off one day while holding her by the scruff and

felt her neck muscles tense (not that she seemed to notice).

It's enough to let her know she's done wrong now though and she

seems to be "getting it" and I can see how it'll help from here on,

it feels like we've turned a corner and everythings coming together,

maybe I couldve got the same result if I knew more but I don't and

it works well (and doesn't seem to cause any distress).

I think the important thing is to only use it when you have to...

No disrespect, but if you look at the bold print and don't understand why this is wrong then you need to take advice from a dog trainer rather than use an e-collar.

Edited by UKPoacher

Fair comment I suppose, it's a learning curve for me and the dog.

I will point out though that I'm sticking fairly religiously to a book i've got on training the specific breed and it says to do just as you've highlighted in the first bit (literally taking the dog by the scruff to where she chose to ignore me and correct her there).

The point about hitting her with the collar on full blast; She'd gone off on one (she does this occasionally, completely ignoring me) and I'd pressed the button a fair few times with no sign of reaction at all (there usually is) I'd notched the power up gradually and still no sign (I should also point out it got wet the previous day but had been thourghly dried out) even right next to me I couldn't see the slightest flinch but I certainly felt it when I had hold of her. Normally I wouldn't dream of going off on one at her, my patience seems to have worked wonders with her and we've come a long way in three months but I decided perhaps the shock of a major telling off (by my standards) including a bit of a shake of the scruff and a push of a button I felt sure wasn't working anyway might be what she needed to get her out of ignoring me - I was wrong altogether and have decided to start doing everything a bit closer to me until she's 100% and gradually increase the distance (having got a fair bit of advice elsewhere).

I'm not having a go though ukpoacher, of course - you werent to know all the details. I've no problem at all with people pointing out where I'm going wrong (as long as it's kept amicable), it's the only way I'll learn anything. I think we're doing well sofar though, no end of people have commented how she's "come on leaps and bounds" I'll go to a professional if I ever feel we've come to a problem that I cant solve with a little help from friends and online and the e-collar was bought for more of a specific purpose than a quick-fix. Thanks anyway.

No disrespect, but if you look at the bold print and don't understand why this is wrong then you need to take advice from a dog trainer rather than use an e-collar.

nah, it'd be far more fun if someone put an e-collar round his nads & zapped him full strength everytime he got distracted.

Fair comment I suppose, it's a learning curve for me and the dog.

I will point out though that I'm sticking fairly religiously to a book i've got on training the specific breed and it says to do just as you've highlighted in the first bit (literally taking the dog by the scruff to where she chose to ignore me and correct her there).

I'm not having a go though ukpoacher, of course - you werent to know all the details. I've no problem at all with people pointing out where I'm going wrong (as long as it's kept amicable), it's the only way I'll learn anything. I think we're doing well sofar though, no end of people have commented how she's "come on leaps and bounds" I'll go to a professional if I ever feel we've come to a problem that I cant solve with a little help from friends and online and the e-collar was bought for more of a specific purpose than a quick-fix. Thanks anyway.

My advice is to chuck the book away. It is based on the dog being able to reason why it has done wrong after you've managed to catch up with her, drag her back and ******* her. Crazy! Dogs need instant admonishment for wrongdoings. A second later is too late never mind half a minute. That is where the e-collar 'can' be of use, however I've not had to resort to one yet.

We have a guy on our shoot who sits in the trailer reminding his dog that the previous night he warned it to be on its best behaviour. :lol:

Have the same trouble with our lab mate - not sure if you remember but we got them within a few days of each other.

she's back on the retractable lead at the minute!

She seems to be calming down as time goes on lol! Still has her moments though :lol: I think the next year she will calm down n progress well with training (Hopefully) :lol:

I had a similar problem with my Dobe, he used to run off after a rabbit, or a munty and it would take ages to find him. We went to several training experts, had lessons, continuous positive reinforcement of recall command but once he was in "the zone" there was no snapping him out of it. We were terrified he run out across a road.

So, as a last resort after my mrs had reached the end of her teather with him I bought a canicom800.

First thing I did was strap it to my leg and tested it on myself. My thought was it's not fair using it on the dog unless I'd tried it on myself first. I got up to about 1/2 power power before the messing about and laughing stopped and I'd had enough. Now I can safely say from experience, it's not painful, but it does give you a "shock". Very similar to a TENS machine they give pregnant woman if anyone's messed around with one of those.

With CORRECT use, the collar solved the behaviour problem in 2 walks, he got shocked twice (level 10 of 15) and I've never had to use it since. However, it is absolutely essential it is used correctly. i.e. wear the collar for 2 weeks without turning it on. Using the verbal command first and if the behaviour doesn't stop then a beep and again if it doesn't stop a flash (not continuous) shock. After the 2 seperate shocks, he was beeped a few times, and with the aid of treats on recall problem solved.

This was just about a 18 mths ago now and we continued to put the collar on him with it on and ready as a safety net but now over time we've got out of the habit of putting it on him and he rarely wears it.

Edited by Jaminzx7r

My advice is to chuck the book away. It is based on the dog being able to reason why it has done wrong after you've managed to catch up with her, drag her back and ******* her. Crazy! Dogs need instant admonishment for wrongdoings. A second later is too late never mind half a minute. That is where the e-collar 'can' be of use, however I've not had to resort to one yet.

We have a guy on our shoot who sits in the trailer reminding his dog that the previous night he warned it to be on its best behaviour. :lol:

Aparently (who knows?) dogs associate places with things hence taking them back BUT; I'm sure I mentioned it but maybe not - I found it doesn't work and (having tried everything else I could find/think of) I decided to try an e-collar (but I got a cheap one just to try) which also has little to no effect but that's beside the point - this was my last resort really and it's not really worked (though it's cured another problem) I do have a new plan which I've already mentioned. I didn't buy it for a quick fix or to be cruel, I bought it as a tool to help with a problem.

I'm sorry those who dont like it but I felt it was worth a try.