legal shooting distance

Hi Crown foreshore is a public place. The crown allowed wildfowl shooting  on the foreshore for a long time. It’s still allowed in Scotland (Recreation) . When the firearm act changed, l can’t remember which one, the Crown allowed BASC members to shoot on the foreshore . Now BASC affiliated clubs lease the foreshore for shooting, ( with a watertight lease) . I also shoot in urban areas and know the 50ft law. (50 yards 50 meters) I’ve got to know the local people over the years and I often shoot behind their gardens or from their gardens shooting pigeons from their trees with shotguns . I think some of the rules about not shooting for hundreds of yards from dwellings maybe to do with the recommendation for using gas guns. 

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Gas seal said:

Hi Crown foreshore is a public place. The crown allowed wildfowl shooting  on the foreshore for a long time. It’s still allowed in Scotland (Recreation) . When the firearm act changed, l can’t remember which one, the Crown allowed BASC members to shoot on the foreshore . Now BASC affiliated clubs lease the foreshore for shooting, ( with a watertight lease) . I also shoot in urban areas and know the 50ft law. (50 yards 50 meters) I’ve got to know the local people over the years and I often shoot behind their gardens or from their gardens shooting pigeons from their trees with shotguns . I think some of the rules about not shooting for hundreds of yards from dwellings maybe to do with the recommendation for using gas guns. 

Hi Gas seal,

The 400 metres from housing emanated from an old BASC advice item - which focused upon avoiding conflicts of interest with householders.

Great that you have such positive relationships with the householders where you shoot. Most boundary problems arise from gun users not bothering to do this. 

Incidentally, the 50ft law only applies if a highway user is ‘killed, threatened or injured’ within that distance. This is commonly misunderstood to mean there is a 50ft legal barrier - there isn’t. Good to observe though. 

Happy hunting!

I have a perm where I am a few hundred yards from few house and I called around and they were ok. Problem is what if one was against shooting. Do you then give up a legit perm or go against them. In which case you would be better off not asking in the first place. Not that I asked I just said I was going to be shooting be hind there house so they new 

Edited by captainhastings

Hi I would ask your farmer for any advice regarding any neighbours. Some don’t get along with the farmer. I found the anti shooting people are not to bad. When new people move in to neighbouring houses I introduce myself and explain I’ve been sent to  look at the damaged crop and will be using gas guns and shooting in the coming weeks. I tell them that it has to be done and if is to loud just let me know and I’ll do what I can to sort it. This is why I shoot in gardens (large) the owners said they do or did a bit of shooting and I would be better off standing ,or now sitting ,in the garden and shoot them coming over or coming in to the trees. If they don’t get along with the farmer it doesn’t mean they won’t get along with you, l have experience this, they have someone to complain to. You don’t need permission from neighbours to shoot but it’s better to have their (approval) .my son just said to one neighbour who just moved in , your in the countryside now and this is what we do. She just said ok. It’s harder now with anything to do with shooting but we are legal. 

We have one permission with a converted barn in the middle of a huge cereal field (rotation but generally wheat). We went and met the man who lives there and explained the predicament. He’s in favour of shooting whilst his wife is a bit anti. We agreed a system by which I would message them if we were shooting and he would take his wife out. Occasionally if given late notice we have not been able to shoot that field. We are happy with the situation as is he.

Hi I was shooting pigeons this afternoon on a couple of fields with a main road on the boundary with houses along the full length of the road. Behind the houses is a newish housing estate. I’ve shot this field for many years. When I was coming of the field a young couple came across the road from the estate and I thought they were going to complain about the noise, but they were very polite and asked could they have a couple of pigeons. I gave them six pigeons and explained they are shot with steel and they went away happy. It’s a long time since I’ve been asked for pigeons maybe times are changing.

57 minutes ago, Gas seal said:

Hi I was shooting pigeons this afternoon on a couple of fields with a main road on the boundary with houses along the full length of the road. Behind the houses is a newish housing estate. I’ve shot this field for many years. When I was coming of the field a young couple came across the road from the estate and I thought they were going to complain about the noise, but they were very polite and asked could they have a couple of pigeons. I gave them six pigeons and explained they are shot with steel and they went away happy. It’s a long time since I’ve been asked for pigeons maybe times are changing.

Always good to have someone on your side!  :good:

19 hours ago, Gas seal said:

On a slightly different tack here Gas seal. Could I please ask how you’re getting on with steel shot for pigeons?  Does it do the job so to speak? I have not tried any yet. 

Hi Fellside I’ve used steel cartridges for pigeons for 10years in 28gauge and longer in 20gauge . Yes they do kill pigeons, l changed shot size and chokes to suit the guns. In 20gauge l now use Eley bio steel cartridges 4 shot,I did use them in plastic wad 5 shot . If fiocchi make bio wad steel cartridges l would use them they are hard hitting but high performance cartridges.My son and friends use bio steel in 12gauge for wildfowl, wigeon and mallards. They say that they are ok. They have been using Eley and l think they are trying Rio bio steel now. I will ask how they are doing with them and what chokes they are using.  I load steel 6 shot in 28gauge .We are lucky with cartridges the local cartridge dealer can order cartridges he doesn’t have in stock and will arrive on his next order. He also sells small amounts at the 1000 rates . It wasn’t long ago manufacturers said they couldn’t make bio wad cartridges, l think they all produce them now. Some steel cartridges are a lot louder than others, but they all make what ever you shoot with them bleed a lot more. I always take a pack of baby wipes, if they clean babies they will clean your hands and gear. It’s just getting used to a different cartridge. I would wait and see what happens with the cartridge manufacturers and then try them. With prices going up it can be expensive testing them all , l would wait and see what wildflowers use for duck .this is my experience with steel l hope this helps.

26 minutes ago, Gas seal said:

Hi Fellside I’ve used steel cartridges for pigeons for 10years in 28gauge and longer in 20gauge . Yes they do kill pigeons, l changed shot size and chokes to suit the guns. In 20gauge l now use Eley bio steel cartridges 4 shot,I did use them in plastic wad 5 shot . If fiocchi make bio wad steel cartridges l would use them they are hard hitting but high performance cartridges.My son and friends use bio steel in 12gauge for wildfowl, wigeon and mallards. They say that they are ok. They have been using Eley and l think they are trying Rio bio steel now. I will ask how they are doing with them and what chokes they are using.  I load steel 6 shot in 28gauge .We are lucky with cartridges the local cartridge dealer can order cartridges he doesn’t have in stock and will arrive on his next order. He also sells small amounts at the 1000 rates . It wasn’t long ago manufacturers said they couldn’t make bio wad cartridges, l think they all produce them now. Some steel cartridges are a lot louder than others, but they all make what ever you shoot with them bleed a lot more. I always take a pack of baby wipes, if they clean babies they will clean your hands and gear. It’s just getting used to a different cartridge. I would wait and see what happens with the cartridge manufacturers and then try them. With prices going up it can be expensive testing them all , l would wait and see what wildflowers use for duck .this is my experience with steel l hope this helps.

Thanks very much - that’s all great information. I will have to grasp the nettle soon…?!