public footpaths

on one of my farms i shoot it has a few footpaths going through it when walking from one wood to the other the only way is along one of the footpaths about 100 meters its the only part of his field that has no crops growing on it.

what i want to know is how would you go about walking along it with your shot gun? would you take your slip and put it in or can you unload and break the barrel then carry over the shoulder as iam still on his land?

colin

I have the same issue on one of my permissions, I do it the hard way and walk around the field margin :blush:

the only problem with that is its over 100 achre will have to take my slip i think as the others say dont want to give the antis something to moan about,

colin

yes

a second on that yes :blush:

check out the feb10 issue of sporting gun if you can

theres an article - legends & myths.

info provided by mike eveleigh BASC's senior firearms officer

it says "although it makes sense for your shotgun to be unloaded, legally speaking its does not have to be, nor does it have to be in a gunslip"

so as long as you have lawful authority or reasonable excuse, you are fine, which ofcourse you do have as you are moving from one area on which you have permission to another.

Duke

Edited by The Duke

a second on that yes :lol:

check out the feb10 issue of sporting gun if you can

theres an article - legends & myths.

info provided by mike eveleigh BASC's senior firearms officer

it says "although it makes sense for your shotgun to be unloaded, legally speaking its does not have to be, nor does it have to be in a gunslip"

so as long as you have lawful authority or reasonable excuse, you are fine, which ofcourse you do have as you are moving from one area on which you have permission to another.

Duke

thanks Duke

colin

slip to be safe but you dont have to what i have been told is as long as you are not causing a nuisance to other people on the footpath then you are fine to have the gun in hand do what ever you can to cover ya self though mate its what worth any agro that could spoil a good day out.

slip to be safe but you dont have to what i have been told is as long as you are not causing a nuisance to other people on the footpath then you are fine to have the gun in hand do what ever you can to cover ya self though mate its what worth any agro that could spoil a good day out.

good advise mate

By your description you are on private property where the public has a right of passage. My understanding is the path does not belong to the local council but the farmer has to allow access to it - or an alternative route nearby - such as the perimiter of that field.

So yes - you have every right to be there with an unsleeved rifle or shotgun if you have the farmers permision.

i have walked the public footpaths on my permissions regulary with loaded rifles and shotguns.most of these paths are fairly busy,the trick is to carry the rifle on a sling over your shoulder or shotgun broken,and greet everyone you meet with a freindly greeting and wave.this normaly keeps everyone happy .if you are unfortunate enough to get abuse move away from the path and if they follow remind them that you have the permission to be there,not them,tresspass is ilegal :yes::yes::good:

All explained in this BASC guide..(also covers the 15 feet, 50 feet, 50 yards, 50 metres, 25m or make up any other number which is often quoted as the required distance from a carriageway)

BASC guide (England and Wales)

HW682

http://www.league.org.uk/content.ASpx?CategoryID=329

Funny to see how despite the legality all should be reported to LACS so they can find trouble. Goes to show how you must be very careful to abide by the laws, never know whos being a complete :yes:

i have walked the public footpaths on my permissions regulary with loaded rifles and shotguns.most of these paths are fairly busy,the trick is to carry the rifle on a sling over your shoulder or shotgun broken,and greet everyone you meet with a freindly greeting and wave.this normaly keeps everyone happy .if you are unfortunate enough to get abuse move away from the path and if they follow remind them that you have the permission to be there,not them,tresspass is ilegal :yes::yes::good:

I face this situation regularly on one of my permissions which has several 2Public Footpaths" running through it. We gat quite a few dog walkers who use the place regularly, most of which I know. Because of the nature of the land I tend (As much as possible) to keep myself in a position where I can see anyone coming along any of these footpaths before they even know I am there. If I see someone that I know I just unload my rifle and remove the magazine then put the rifle on its sling over my shoulder. This was as soon as they see me they know that there is no "threat" and that the gun is "Safe". However, if I do see someone that i do not recognise even though it is not a legal requirement I put the (Unloaded) rifle in a lightweight slip which I carry rolled up in my coat pocket. Whilst this is not a "Legal Requirement" as I have full (Written) permission and good reason to be there I do this to avoid any "unwanted" situations or confruntations with any "Antis2 that might be about!

A similar different but similar situation comes into play on another of my permisions which is split by an old disused road. Even though this road is unused except by farmers who know me it is still a "Public Highway" and as such whenever I have to cross it to get from one half or the permission to the other I ALWAYS unload and slip my rifle!

Jeez, I couldn't tell you how many times I've crossed or walked along part of a footpath with a loaded rifle or shotgun :yes:

snap I'd stood on driven days on footpaths shooting, remember they are actually private land the public is allowed access on. Obviously you have to be sensible and i'll always break the gun minimum if walkers come along but thats about it.

It's funny how this issue seems to confuse people so much. I'm a member of a shooting club that has access to lots of different farms. One of the farms has good duck shooting by a river but you can only access it from a neighbours farm. He wont let people cross his farm but there is a public footpath right through it to the river and our permission. The shooting club say its all mostly off limits as its a nightmare to access, but I pointed out that if the gun is slipped, you can walk the footpath to the river. The commitee disagreed but i have even checked this with BASC.

I had an excellent seasons duck shooting all to myself!