Shooting in California

spence

I'm lucky to have a few days off in the Bay Area week after next and fancy a few clays in the sun.

Anyone knows of or can recommend grounds open to the public with gun hire. If not any clues where to start looking or if it’s even possible.

Ta.

S.

I'm lucky to have a few days off in the Bay Area week after next and fancy a few clays in the sun.

Anyone knows of or can recommend grounds open to the public with gun hire. If not any clues where to start looking or if it’s even possible.

Ta.

S.

Try mailing Nicky T, he goes away today for a few days but I'm sure he'll get back to you on his return. He works in the states a bit (and I think in California) and I'm sure he would know if anything was available.

Wow! I actually feel useful on this site. I owned a gun store in Walnut Creek, in the east bay.

Near Morgan Hill, south of San Jose, is Coyote Valley. They have 2 sporting clays courses, 5 stand and skeet. It is especially beautiful in the spring. They have a pro-shop and I'm sure you can rent a gun.

Near Rio Vista, east of the Bay Area, there is Bird's Landing. They have sporting clays, 5 stand and planted bird shooting. They have rental guns and a pro shop.

In Martinez, there is a trap, skeet club with a few clays stands, but not like the others. Google Martinez Trap Club)

In Concord, there is USI, a skeet, trap, rifle and pistol range. No real clays station, but one station set up as kind of a 5 stand. (Google Diablo Rod and Gun Club)

There is a trap/skeet club in Sonoma up in the wine country.

Coyote Valley is the nicest, Birds Landing is nice, and the others are closer to the Bay Area, but not as special.

I may have missed one or two small clubs, but that is pretty much it. If you Google the names of the clubs, you'll get all the necessary info. PM me if you need other help.

Pete

Hi Spence,

As Whiskeymac said i'm actually out in California at the moment. Just had a chat to some of the guys i'm working with out here and hands down they recommend Coyote Vallet as being the best place to go near the Bay Area. If there's anything specific you want to know, drop me a PM and i'll do my best to find out for you.

Nicky T

Great info guys. Pete you are indeedvery useful.................

Coyote Valley look great, less than 20 miles from where I'm statying for the forst part of the week (work stuff) in San Jose. Site says they hire guns etc. will give them a call to find out the details.

Sonoma (very pretty place went last year) may be a possability as I'm transfering to Marin to ride Mt Tam and the Tamarancho.

Thanks all

S.

Coyote Valley has two clays courses, as you saw on the website. The upper hill course is most favored by my old clients. I've never shot there personally.

The course in Sonoma is called Valley of the Moon I think.

There used to be a trap club called San Geronimo just north of San Rafael, but it might not be there anymore. I doubt you'll find rental guns at either of these places.

You can also call Western Sport Shop in San Rafael as they sell guns and would know of other opportunities in the Marin/Sonoma area.

This time of year, west Marin is a beautiful place for a ride or drive. You can head west from either San Rafael or even Petaluma toard the coast. The road west from Petaluma, (formerly the chicken capital of America), is more rural and at the end of the road in Inverness you can eat fresh oysters that are farmed right there and also in Tomales Bay.

If you go out the road from San Rafael, you'll go through a town called San Anselmo. There is an old burger place called Spanky's. Worth the effort for a real American hamburger.

Pete

Great info guys. Pete you are indeedvery useful.................

Coyote Valley look great, less than 20 miles from where I'm statying for the forst part of the week (work stuff) in San Jose. Site says they hire guns etc. will give them a call to find out the details.

Sonoma (very pretty place went last year) may be a possability as I'm transfering to Marin to ride Mt Tam and the Tamarancho.

Thanks all

S.

If you fancy hand guns too try Jackson Arms, about 2 miles from the airport. For $100 you get a safety course with a .22 semi + your choice of "bigger gun" and an hour on the indoor range. I can personally recommend the .44 mag : :good:

Don't do as I did though and go there just before your flight home as when they swab.you at security its hard to explain why you're covered in gun powder residue..........