Old Country sayings

Doc Holliday

Does anyone know of any old country sayings? I was thinking of the genuine ones but I guess any would be ok. Would also like to know if you think there is any merit in some of them.

I'll start the ball rolling with "Oak before Ash, in for a splash. Ash before Oak, in for a soak". Supposedly when they come out in leaf will determine whether Summer will be a wet one or, dare I say it, a barbecue one. Michael Fish don't have nothing on me. Should have checked that last year before I headed off out and bought 10 bags of Charcoal. Still, only 7.5 bags left. I'll be watching this year.

Same about the weather, but the French say, "...Christmas on the balcony, Easter at the hearth..."

Does anyone know of any old country sayings? I was thinking of the genuine ones but I guess any would be ok. Would also like to know if you think there is any merit in some of them.

I'll start the ball rolling with "Oak before Ash, in for a splash. Ash before Oak, in for a soak". Supposedly when they come out in leaf will determine whether Summer will be a wet one or, dare I say it, a barbecue one. Michael Fish don't have nothing on me. Should have checked that last year before I headed off out and bought 10 bags of Charcoal. Still, only 7.5 bags left. I'll be watching this year.

A dog a woman and a walnut tree, the more you beat the better they be. :yes:

Please dont tell the misses mind! mine didnt appreciate it.

A dog a woman and a walnut tree, the more you beat the better they be. :yes:

Please dont tell the misses mind! mine didnt appreciate it.

I may as well be hung for a lamb as a sheep so here goes for another two. A whistling woman and a crowing hen are neither use for god nor men!

Red sky at night shepherds delight, red sky in the morning shepherds warning. (red sky at night good day tomor, red sky in morning and it'll chuck down).

Wind from the east fit for man nor neast. (wind from the east is pants).

Better to see thy mother on bier, than to see fair weather in January. (Good weather in January is bad).

It's between thee, me an fence post. (it's a secret).

He wan't his cake an his hapeny yon mon. (greedy bas t @ rd).

She's built to calf and bull again. (good looking girl).

She's built to travel (see above).

By jingo it's ad it's head int trough. (good looking person, now put some weight on).

Tha can't tek it with tha, but tha can run out afore tha dies. (don't waste money - my grandad said this a lot :whistling: )

There will be trouble at mill. (proverbial is about to hit the fan).

By christ he would'nt stop a pig in a passage. (he's a bit bow-legged).

Tha mek a better door than a window. (can't see past you....shift).

Fell out of the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down. (opposite of built to travel).

Probably not what your looking for but I have loads. :lol:

Edited by whiskymac

I was thinking about things like this, how shooting terms are used on every day language.

One off the top of my head is "missing a sitter" ie when you miss a pigeon that's sat on a branch I believe. Giving someone "both barrells" is one too.

Red sky at night means the cow sheds alight.

Red sky in the mornin' means it's still bornin'

My old grandad would be stood out the back of his cottage lookin' at the sky. Then he'd tell me. "If the big toe on me right foot gets cold then oi Know ers gooin' ter rain"

"An' if th big toe on me left foot gets cold then oi know ers gooin' ter snow".

" If both on me feets gets cold then oi goes an' puts some shoes an' socks on"

Being a Gamekeeper, he would tell us kids that if you put Salt on a Pheasant's tail then it wouldn't fly away and you could just pick it up.

:whistling:

Red sky at night shepherds delight, red sky in the morning shepherds warning. (red sky at night good day tomor, red sky in morning and it'll chuck down).

Wind from the east fit for man nor neast. (wind from the east is pants).

Better to see thy mother on bier, than to see fair weather in January. (Good weather in January is bad).

It's between thee, me an fence post. (it's a secret).

He wan't his cake an his hapeny yon mon. (greedy bas t @ rd).

She's built to calf and bull again. (good looking girl).

She's built to travel (see above).

By jingo it's ad it's head int trough. (good looking person, now put some weight on).

Tha can't tek it with tha, but tha can run out afore tha dies. (don't waste money - my grandad said this a lot :whistling: )

There will be trouble at mill. (proverbial is about to hit the fan).

By christ he would'nt stop a pig in a passage. (he's a bit bow-legged).

Tha mek a better door than a window. (can't see past you....shift).

Fell out of the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down. (opposite of built to travel).

Probably not what your looking for but I have loads. :lol:

Scott, you're a ******* heathen ???:P:yes:???