Landy + Winch

Billy.

I'm looking at buying a winch for my Landy (Defender 90) but I don't want to pay for a whole new bumper which has a container for the winch.

I also want to screw an A bar to my standard bumper, so this is another reason I really don't want to pay £200+ for a new bumper!

Anyone got photos or just a simple explanation from experience?

You can get a winch plate that bolts on top of the standard bumper. They are much cheaper than a full bumper, but the winch sits on top of rather than in between the two front chassis members.

It's a good compromise though as long as you're not planning to do winch challenges or any serious pulling.

Have a look for item number 290422900677 on fleabay.

Hope this helps,

Tank

The winch plate is a good alternative as it uses the long bumper bolts to bolt throught the plate and then the chasis leg. I have one fitted and have recovered myself and others many many times. They are usually about £90 for a good one, ensure it's driled for the winch you are getting as the steel is so thick it is difficult to drill yourself.

Here is an image

Photo0107.jpg

Hope it helps

Thanks all. The winch plate sounds perfect.

I'll only be using it for getting me unstuck on a rare occasion, so it'll not be heavy duty work.

scout, that is exactly what I'm looking to do, as I'm eyeing up some identical A bars on Ebay, which are £40!

Edited by harfordwmj

The A Bar and winch plate bolt with the same bolts straight through the chasis legs so it's all very solid, there is an additional bolt hole in the A bars which you need to drill in the winch plate if you want to use it, but as I never put too much pressure on the A Bar I didn't bother. I have used the winch to pull me verticaly up a cliff face, which was very hairy but caused no problems, I would say , before attaching your winch ensure your chasis legs are solid as they take all the pressure.

When you remove the 4 large bumper bolts they go through a thread steel bar inside the bumber held on by a sprund clip, these clips rust and fall apart ( no surprises it is a land rover ) , I would recommend getting your self a pair of new ones before you start the job, they only cost a couple of quid and will save you loads of agro putting it back together as it's a pig to line up.

If you want any more pics , close up let me know.