Beretta 687 Model Naming???

Marc M

Hi all,

I need a little help trying to distinguish the differences between the various letters Beretta associates to its range of guns. I'm assuming it denotes differences in wood grades, and engravings etc?

The situation is thus, I've seen an advert on another forum for a 12 gauge Beretta 687L and wondered what info you guys had for this? I've done a search on Guntrader and have found other 687 variants for sale; Silver Pigeon I through V, Game, Sport, E, EL and EELL but not a plain 687'L'.

Is the L the entry level wood version of the Silver Pigeon? I've seen some EELL guns in my local shop and they had much nicer wood, engraving etc but similarly nice price tags :lol:

This particular gun has fixed choke 1/4 and 5/8 28" barrels and is apparently in very good nick. I was thinking of this as an ideal first shotty as the price seems very reasonable.

Does the 'L' denotation give away the guns age at all?

I've tried contacting the seller but have been politely informed he is offline till at least Sunday evening and I'm desperate to know whether to get the hopes up or not!!!

Hope you can help,

Marc

Marc,

It may be an older model, i.e. 10 years plus, I think the 687 range was labelled differently then.

You could always phone Gunmark if you get the serial number off the seller and they should be able to tell you how old it is, although its age is pretty irrelevent, its how many shells have been through it that counts.

Double H

Marc,

It may be an older model, i.e. 10 years plus, I think the 687 range was labelled differently then.

You could always phone Gunmark if you get the serial number off the seller and they should be able to tell you how old it is, although its age is pretty irrelevent, its how many shells have been through it that counts.

Double H

Cheers Double H, I'll drop the seller another email asking exactly that then, serial number and how often he's shot the thing, and the owners before that etc etc!

Does anybody know if this 687L model number is a Silver Pigeon or not, or was it perhaps just before SP was launched?

Marc

Beretta date codes

X1 1955

X11 1956

X111 1957

X1V 1958

XV 1959

XV1 1960

XV11 1961

XV111 1962

X1X 1963

XX 1964

XX1 1965

XX11 1966

XX111 1967

XX1V 1968

XXV 1969

XXV1 1970

XX7 1971

XX8 1972

XX9 1973

XXX 1974

AA 1975

AB 1976

AC 1977

AD 1978

AE 1979

AF 1980

AH 1981

AI 1982

AL 1983

AM 1984

AN 1985

AP 1986

AS 1987

AT 1988

AU 1989

AZ 1990

BA 1991

BB 1992

BC 1993

BD 1994

BF 1995

BH 1996

B1 1997

BL 1998

BM 1999

BN 2000

BP 2001

BS 2002

BT 2003

BU 2004

BZ 2005

If you get the serial number of the gun you can phone Beretta's UK importer for all of the details.

When it was made, when it was imported and when it was distributed originally to a dealer. Tracing is not hard as long as you've got a spare five mintes.

That's what I did when I bought my Beretta Ultralight (It is the Xtra-Wood version and it does make all the differencde to the look :lol: )

The UK importer is GMK and they are contactable on 01489 579 999

Hope that's of some help? :lol:

If you get the serial number of the gun you can phone Beretta's UK importer for all of the details.

When it was made, when it was imported and when it was distributed originally to a dealer. Tracing is not hard as long as you've got a spare five mintes.

That's what I did when I bought my Beretta Ultralight (It is the Xtra-Wood version and it does make all the differencde to the look  :lol: )

The UK importer is GMK and they are contactable on 01489 579 999

Hope that's of some help?  :lol:

Cheers Waddy, just saved GMK's number to my phone so as soon as the seller gets back to me with the serial number I'll get right on with a spot of detective work :lol: Nice one mate!

PS Was browsing the gun rooms at Bamford's in Chorley the other week, spotted a couple of the Xtra-Wood Beretta's, how do they feel wen shooting them? My initial impressions having a quick swing in the shop were the stocks felt very tacky. Certainly look the part though, from a distance I thought from the "grain" it was one of the EELL's and was about to make a *** of myself to my missus by saying "now THAT's the difference there love, bet that beauty is £2500+!!!", glad I didn't though, it was bloody Xtra-Wood :lol:

Edited by Marc M

Very briefly before the Silver Pigeon range - the 686 was the base Beretta o/u model in various calibres/ fixed or multichoke / barrel lengthe etc. The next model up was the 687 which came with a similar range of calibres/chokes/barrels. In the 'game' range it came in basic L grade (light) then EL (extra light) and so on up to EELL a top of the range game gun. At the same time there was a 682 range which were primarily a clay gun.

This is a gross simplification but should give you a rough idea.

Edited by potshot