Garden Shed Security

Salop Matt

Over the last 2 weekends I have put a concreat pad down and a steel shed ontop of it ! It isnt the strongest structure in the world but I still want it secure so my mower etc doesnt go walkies, either that or that it looks like to much hasstle and they try else where .

So what security do you or "might you have" on your shed and what do you recomend ? Currently its a padlock through the plastic door handles that i have little faith in !

Am thinking of a alam mine being wired in and a facility to chain things to the floor ! MAybe a security light and some carpet gripper on the top of the fence ! :blink:

I've got a big wire that hoops through a big snap-on tool chest, two bikes and the chainsaw. If they want one, they've got to take the lot. Plus 3 dogs. And gravel (which burglars hate as they can't walk silently).

I'm loving the idea of the blanks though. :good: I'd have to be careful about trip wires as I'd be guaranteed to have to dogs setting them off every 5 minutes. :blink:

which shed did you buy was it an Argos metal one? if so they just need one good kick of the door to knock it off the rails and the ****** are in and away which is what happened to my brothers one and his had pleanty strong padlock on it too.

best thing i used to do was to keep the baby monitor transmitter in the garage and the receiver with me in the house so you can hear if anybody is in there. if you hear noises investigate with the SBS !! :blink:

try the groung anchors used for motorcycles and the chains thats what keeps my harley safe :blink:

Likewise, helps me sleep safe knowing the bike isn't going anywhere without a Stihl saw, but they can still do a lot of damage before they see the anchor, change those handles or remove them and put recessed locks in

Edited by Bloke

I still think securing high value stuff like mowers inside the shed is the way to go.Sheds will always have their weak spot-ie the timber door or even the shiplap itself (which can be removed quite easily with minimal tools) so passing a strong chain through all the handles etc then looping through the structure if possible and padlocking.

I still think securing high value stuff like mowers inside the shed is the way to go.Sheds will always have their weak spot-ie the timber door or even the shiplap itself (which can be removed quite easily with minimal tools) so passing a strong chain through all the handles etc then looping through the structure if possible and padlocking.

A ground anchor is inside the shed - a ******* great plate or hasp, sunk into the concrete and a **** great chain or bracket locked to it, they could take my shed, but without some serious tools for the attack-grade chain and lock, they will have to cut my bike to bits (Kinda defeats the object) or take away about a 5-ton slab of concrete with it! :blink:

Edited by Bloke

You will never keep any thief out of those type of sheds,you could bolt a hasp and staple type lock to the door with your padlock,but as has been said one big boot and the whole door is in :blink: .

I dont like sheds,and keep it all in the garage,have fitted shoot bolt locks,alarm and lock the german sheperd (land shark)in there over night,got pir lights and camera that records automatically,would take me with all my kit a while to get in and then once door opens,oh dear...alarm....teeth...blood :good:

I put a burglar alarm in my shed. Got full battery back up internal sirens and an external SAB bell unit. It makes a lot of noise.

I went on a large house repo a few weeks back and the locksmiths just used run of the mill cordless (battery) disc cutters / grinders with ultra thin discs and the guards removed. They slotted into doors (in between door and frame) and went through mortice locks like butter. As too chains and padlocks.

The cost of a cordless disc cutter is probably less than a high security padlock.