Swallows in Tilmanstone Kent

bushwakka

Was out shooting over rape near Tilmanstone yesterday, didnt really have an eventful morning, so decided to pack up and move to another field, whilst I was bringing the deeks in I noticed a swallow, then I saw another all in all i saw 5 swallows, just wondering if anyone else has seen any yet???

Was out shooting over rape near Tilmanstone yesterday, didnt really have an eventful morning, so decided to pack up and move to another field, whilst I was bringing the deeks in I noticed a swallow, then I saw another all in all i saw 5 swallows, just wondering if anyone else has seen any yet???

I shot the Essex Masters clay shoot at Hepworth Hall in Essex on Saturday. I saw 2 or 3 Swallows around the car park :blink:

First ones for me this year :good:

Our first ones turned up (Llantrisant nr Cardiff) on Monday. We usually have a couple of dozen in the stables, garage, boiler room eves, etc. It's a pleaure to see them blasting around eating up the flies, but I wish they wouldn't poo all over the cars.

Edited by Alpha Mule

seen a couple here dont see anywhere near as many as i used to when i was a kid when they got thier young would see hundreds and hundreds on the phone wires same with house martins still seems to be the same amount of swifts anyone else notice this?

There's only a tiny fraction of the numbers that there used to be. That applies to Swallows, Martins and Swifts. I'm convinced that it's because there are only a fraction of the insects left compared to those days. Back then, if you drove around for a few hours in the Summer, you'd need to stop and wash the splattered insects off your windscreen. Now there are hardly any. Scary. They've been sprayed off the face off the earth with insecticides and all the wild flowers have been sprayed off the planet with herbicides, which reduces the insects even more.

Nobody seems to give a toss, including the RSPB. They just spend millions researching other outlandish and stupid reasons why stuff is disappearing, when they only need to look in front of their ******* noses.

Bunch of *****

There's only a tiny fraction of the numbers that there used to be. That applies to Swallows, Martins and Swifts. I'm convinced that it's because there are only a fraction of the insects left compared to those days. Back then, if you drove around for a few hours in the Summer, you'd need to stop and wash the splattered insects off your windscreen. Now there are hardly any. Scary. They've been sprayed off the face off the earth with insecticides and all the wild flowers have been sprayed off the planet with herbicides, which reduces the insects even more.

Nobody seems to give a toss, including the RSPB. They just spend millions researching other outlandish and stupid reasons why stuff is disappearing, when they only need to look in front of their ******* noses.

Bunch of *****

Chard , You havent been getting your info from the Shooting Times ( or the Shi-ting Times as many wildfowlers call it because its full of so much bullsh-t) have you. I am no supporter of the RSPB , but they are spending a lot of money on research into the decline of incects and reconise thats it one of the main problems facing farmland birds.

Edited by anser2

Chard , You havent been getting your info from the Shooting Times ( or the Shi-ting Times as many wildfowlers call it because its full of so much bullsh-t) have you. I am no supporter of the RSPB , but they are spending a lot of money on research into the decline of incects and reconise thats it one of the main problems facing farmland birds.

No, I don't read any of that ****. I can remember the RSPB writing voluminous reports, agonising over why these species are on their way out. Not a mention of decline of insects and wild flowers. (The decline in insects and wild flowers that I can see with my own eyes).

I don't think it needs a lot of money spending on it. It's plain to see. I remember walking along the edge of some of those "Tesco vegetable" fields in Norfolk, with their neat rows of seedlings. Nothing alive in there, for acres and acres. No insects, no wild flowers and no birds. Totally sterile. Scary :stupid: