Disco 2 heating problems.

Sammy_D

Hey guys. My heating has started to play up. When the temp gauge says its on half and i have been running the car for 15 min or more the heating still blows out cold.

Even when i have been driving for over an hour the heating still comes out cold. Every now and then i get the full heat come on but then it goes again.

Does anyone know what the problem could be!

Thanks

Sammy D

could be a number of things .

1, air lock = bleed the water system to remove the air

2, stuck thermostate ,remove to check if the thermostate is opening .place it into boiling water to see if it opens

3,is there air bubbles in the expansion tank = head gasket fault which will cause the system to air lock ( compressed gases in the water circuit )

4, or even worse i have seen the water pump impella to fall off but it would over heat if that was the problem .

let me know if you need any more help

you have checked the heater controls are going to hot ? if it moves on the dash donesnt mean it moves the heater valve in the heater box ( could have fallen off or snapped )

I know,

Mine is a 300 Tdi, I only suggested it as that was the problem on mine.

Hi

I have a TD5 and have just had the very same problem.

keep an eye on coolant level as mine was usine 3 or 4 pints a week, the heater was working intermittently especally at low level.

When the numties at land rover designed this model they decided to use PLASTIC dowels for the cylinder head to block location

on the discoverys so when the engine gets hot the dowels soften and the head moves on the block breaking the seal of the head gasket

on the defenders with the same engine the used METAL dowels and they have no problems,

I had mine fixed using the metal dowel method and has been fine since.

They also test the coolant for carbon to confirm head gasket blown but mine came back as ok ( this is also common ).

Send me your phone number if you need any more details and i will call you :ernyha: