Trespassers are disturbing our Pheasants

So here's the deal. I work on a small shoot. The shoot has a wood running down the middle of it. We are also close to a landmark where a lot of people go, and people often come through the wood to get to this landmark quickly. Sometimes we see trespassers, but sometimes we don't. So does anyone have any tips on what we could do to stop people trespassing?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A body of water, drainage ditch or long thin pond :good:

We need an access road into the wood, so that wouldn't work.

KEEP OUT SNAKE BREEDING AREA

People probably wouldn't fall for that because the private lane trespassers are using starts as a lane to a farm. The lane goes through the farm, then through the wood. If we were to put signs up, we would need them at the point where the lane starts.

And,

Signs would work fairly well, but people vandalise them. So any ideas on making signs vandal proof?

And, not everyone pays attention to signs, so I'll need other things on top of signs to stop trespassers.

Reposting this so people see it.

erm how about a Gate?

We have gates. But people open gates. And people cut padlocks, so that won't work either. And people climb gates as well.

But can't you get security locks that people can't get cutters around? I've heard people talking about them, but does anyone here know if they work or not?

And anything I can put on top of gates to stop people climbing them?

Some times you have to be realistic. If its a popular landmark then you will never stop people taking the shortcut without major expense. Learn to live with it.

This thread is for any tips about stopping trespassers, not for pointless posts like that.

We have gates. But people open gates. And people cut padlocks, so that won't work either. And people climb gates as well.

But can't you get security locks that people can't get cutters around? I've heard people talking about them, but does anyone here know if they work or not?

And anything I can put on top of gates to stop people climbing them?

This thread is for any tips about stopping trespassers, not for pointless posts like that.

Yes you will only ever dissuade the well meaning/bumbling idiot like the ones we stopped from walking across a

field of barley Which is most of the problem with nesting pheasants disturbance by dog walkers. A simple sign

nailed to a gate or in tree ideally 8ft off the ground but in plain view is a good start chains across entrances with

swinging signs bolted through are difficult to vandalise and oddly thats what I will be discussing this week with

the farmer, my help will cement our relationship and increase the profitability of the farm.

If your thinking of putting signs up try putting it on council headed paper (photocopy from the planning application letters which they put on lamp posts). Then laminate it and cable tie it to the gates. It adds a bit more authority! This was tried by someone i know and worked very well.