Trespassers are disturbing our Pheasants

If your thinking of putting signs up try putting it on council headed paper (photocopy from the planning application letters which they put on lamp posts). Then laminate it and cable tie it to the gates. It adds a bit more authority! This was tried by someone i know and worked very well.

:yes:

but put on the sign the wood is being used as a GAY dogging site and all tresspasser's will be questioned and there names put on record and passed to the police for further action.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

fences and signs, tripwire blanks etc.

make some nice big signs that say "Private Wood, concealed traps and poisons in use. Do not enter"

This one gets my vote because its short,direct and sounds like theres a real danger either someone or their dog.

I disagree with Nicks suggestion.

I would suggest

Nature Conservation Area

Keep Out

webber

Not sure about the nature conservation bit deterring walkers.Infact it could backfire and encourage those people who have delibrety gone out to look for wildlife to investigate the wood.

Edited by Imperfection

Yes you will only ever dissuade the well meaning/bumbling idiot like the ones we stopped from walking across a

field of barley Which is most of the problem with nesting pheasants disturbance by dog walkers. A simple sign

nailed to a gate or in tree ideally 8ft off the ground but in plain view is a good start chains across entrances with

swinging signs bolted through are difficult to vandalise and oddly thats what I will be discussing this week with

the farmer, my help will cement our relationship and increase the profitability of the farm.

The higher up signs sounds like a good idea.

Chains across entrances? That might work. Nut I'm not sure what you mean with "swinging signs bolted through". Could you explain that a bit more please?

Not sure if this has been done before, but what if you had a metal five bar gate with rollers or sections of slightly larger tube/waste pipe etc threaded on all bars,this would prevent anyone gaining a foot hold on the gate :good:

Creative idea. That might work.

So you're saying that I should get some pieces of pipe that are larger than the bars on the gate, then put them on the gate, and because the pipes are larger than the bars, people will find it harder to climb them?

If your thinking of putting signs up try putting it on council headed paper (photocopy from the planning application letters which they put on lamp posts). Then laminate it and cable tie it to the gates. It adds a bit more authority! This was tried by someone i know and worked very well.

Any idea where I can get something like that?

This one gets my vote because its short,direct and sounds like theres a real danger either someone or their dog.

Not sure about the nature conservation bit deterring walkers.Infact it could backfire and encourage those people who have delibrety gone out to look for wildlife to investigate the wood.

Signs warning people of fake dangers? Hmmm.

Keep the ideas coming in please!

Signs should be your first line of defence. Perhaps worded something like , No access beyond here , ( they work very well in my woods ) on the junction between the public and your private lane. A padlocked gate and heavy chain should stop 99% of your unwanted visitors ( if you get trouble here its likely to be a local as few countryside walkers happen to have a bolt cropper in their back pocket). Finally find the gaps where they leave your lane and find their way into your wood and block them in some way a fence or hedge trimmings after of course asking the farmer. If you can replant the hedge gaps up with new thorn bushes. Perhaps a couple of further signs along the lane by the wood , something like “Danger keep out”.

Place the signs well up above easy reach of the public .

Good luck.

PS. If you still get trouble try coating the tio rain with grease , that will stop most people.

Edited by anser2

This thread is for any tips about stopping trespassers, not for pointless posts like that.

I would suggest that the post this refers to is as good, if not better than most of them and probably more realistic. If you only want comments that you want to hear, don't ask the question.

"Bomb disposal site - authorised personnel only"

or perhaps take an audio sample of the dog from "Hound of the Baskervilles" and stick it on continuous play attached to some halford special speakers up a tree. Hawooooo!

On a serious note, identifying it as a conservation area is a good idea to deter well intentioned folks.

Signs should be your first line of defence. Perhaps worded something like , No access beyond here , ( they work very well in my woods ) on the junction between the public and your private lane. A padlocked gate and heavy chain should stop 99% of your unwanted visitors ( if you get trouble here its likely to be a local as few countryside walkers happen to have a bolt cropper in their back pocket). Finally find the gaps where they leave your lane and find their way into your wood and block them in some way a fence or hedge trimmings after of course asking the farmer. If you can replant the hedge gaps up with new thorn bushes. Perhaps a couple of further signs along the lane by the wood , something like “Danger keep out”.

Place the signs well up above easy reach of the public .

Good luck.

PS. If you still get trouble try coating the tio rain with grease , that will stop most people.

What do you mean by "tio rain"?

I could grease up part of the gate, if that's what you meant to say.

But the bit about the hedge, that gives me an idea. The wood is to be thinned out soon, so I could put a hedge up to stop some people.

You see, some people up where I live will climb over fences to get into this wood, even if there is no evidence of any sort of path whatsoever.

I would suggest that the post this refers to is as good, if not better than most of them and probably more realistic. If you only want comments that you want to hear, don't ask the question.

It was still rather pointless because it doesn't answer my question. Now please, just move on.

"Bomb disposal site - authorised personnel only"

or perhaps take an audio sample of the dog from "Hound of the Baskervilles" and stick it on continuous play attached to some halford special speakers up a tree. Hawooooo!

On a serious note, identifying it as a conservation area is a good idea to deter well intentioned folks.

Identifying it as a conservation area could easily backfire, as mentioned earlier in this thread. People often go out walking for wildlife, and a sign like that will probably encourage a lot of people and make the problem worse.

Keep the ideas coming in please!

I could grease up part of the gate, if that's what you meant to say.

But the bit about the hedge, that gives me an idea. The wood is to be thinned out soon, so I could put a hedge up to stop some people.

You see, some people up where I live will climb over fences to get into this wood, even if there is no evidence of any sort of path whatsoever.

Wow must be some exciting wood!

Electric fence designed for sheep/horses can work (expensive), as could smothering the top of the gate with heavy duty grease (ask at a HGV/Plant garage for a bucket of RED grease or old 5th wheel grease thats awful stuff full of swarf) RED ruins clothes and doesn't run (high temp applications) and is very sticky/nasty stuff.

some trip wire alarm mines are another option If you don't have power then CCTV etc wont work well.

I would start with some grease on top of gate and prickly bushes/hedges to plug gaps. as well as some signs

Might be useful

Edited by HDAV

Achtung minen, was that at dear old harnsers bunker :good:

How about, 'serious crime here on 1st April 2010 in broad daylight, any witnesses please come forward, all unauthorised persons will be arrested and questioned'

Is that a bit OTT?

Edited by SSS

This might work - you know that tape that cops use to mark scenes of crime - which says -Crime scene do not cross - or Police do not cross.

maybe you can get some of that and put it up.

Just might work. - after all everybody has a good fear of the long arm of the law .

p.s. you might have to check with the local cops if that is ok to do so.

/s/

peticide test area March - sept, please do not enter, owners cannot be held responsible for effects if this area is entered.

CCTV area - trespassers will be prosecuted

Horney Stud Donkey enclosure - enter at your trousers risk....

MOD training area - Live fire used on site

Child abuse suspects seen in this area - if you have been in this area from March - Sept the authorities would like to speak to you....

Tony Martin's new residence...do you feel lucky punk?....

Large Bee Hive storage area - owners will not be held responsible for injury to unauthorised tresspassers

Edited by gixer1

Wow must be some exciting wood!

Electric fence designed for sheep/horses can work (expensive), as could smothering the top of the gate with heavy duty grease (ask at a HGV/Plant garage for a bucket of RED grease or old 5th wheel grease thats awful stuff full of swarf) RED ruins clothes and doesn't run (high temp applications) and is very sticky/nasty stuff.

some trip wire alarm mines are another option If you don't have power then CCTV etc wont work well.

I would start with some grease on top of gate and prickly bushes/hedges to plug gaps. as well as some signs

Might be useful

People mainly do it to take shortcuts, or just because they feel like it.

So red heavy duty grease? I could do that. But is it safe to use?

As for the electric fence idea, I would have to save money up before I did that. But it would be very effective.

peticide test area March - sept, please do not enter, owners cannot be held responsible for effects if this area is entered.

CCTV area - trespassers will be prosecuted

Horney Stud Donkey enclosure - enter at your trousers risk....

MOD training area - Live fire used on site

Child abuse suspects seen in this area - if you have been in this area from March - Sept the authorities would like to speak to you....

Tony Martin's new residence...do you feel lucky punk?....

Large Bee Hive storage area - owners will not be held responsible for injury to unauthorised tresspassers

I need sensible ideas.

And, we need to keep people out all year round. Not just March - Sept.

It was still rather pointless because it doesn't answer my question. Now please, just move on.
I need sensible ideas.

Just an observation, but you will find that by responding to posts you find unhelpful/frivolous etc you will probably generate 2 more. Best to ignore things you dont like :stupid:

ZB

Safe for what? to eat?

Electric fences are dead easy to get around and over if you know how... Signs and grease should stop gate climbers

I mean safe to use in the countryside. Will it cause problems with the surrounding environment? Etc.

Yeah I probably won't use an electric fence for a number of reasons such as that.

Does the farm you mentioned people walking through have anything to do with your shoot? :lol: If so how about a dog, preferably one that barks at the sight of anything that moves.. :lol:

Dogs barking would disturb the pheasants.