Trespassers are disturbing our Pheasants

id also say a guard dog, German Shepherd or the like!

Another BRILLIANT one would be to pout up signs along the lines "Private Property - Keep Out" along with those dog signs, guarantee they will keep people away! "Warning - Guard Dog On Patrol" "Beware Of The Dog" "Watch Out - German Shepherd About"

the signs alone will keep people out if you put a few up! Although the dog itself will probally be pushing for 100% success rate :good: lol

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One farm i shoot over has a few properly made steel signs on posts which simply say;

DANGER!

Shoot boundary

No trespassing

It dont stop everyone,but does deter majority of dog walkers (who are the biggest problem) from going where they really shouldnt be.Teenagers are a different matter cause im sure they see it as a right of passage to tresspass.

Well probably end up with some grease under the gate (which will kills grass and isn't great for environment) it can get spread around by traffic through gate

So grease is probably a bad idea, then. Shame that is. Could have worked so well.

Why not just put "Private Wood, enter at your own risk"

Doesn't stop teenagers and young adults who trespass for the fun of it.

It stops some people, but not all, so I need other methods alongside that.

One farm i shoot over has a few properly made steel signs on posts which simply say;

DANGER!

Shoot boundary

No trespassing

It dont stop everyone,but does deter majority of dog walkers (who are the biggest problem) from going where they really shouldnt be.Teenagers are a different matter cause im sure they see it as a right of passage to tresspass.

They don't see it as a rite of passage. They see it as a typical weekend day out. Like the people we caught riding quad bikes through the wood a few weeks ago. They do it when they're bored.

But yes you are right dog walkers are the biggest problem. Especially those that never seem to like using a short dog lead.

I thought of something the other day, about going onto the tracks and churning it up a bit. Would that work to deter trespassers? I know that nobody goes down in the bottom of the wood because the track is so muddy, I was wondering if it would be a good idea?

Keep the ideas coming in!

Edited by Reece

#### would be the organic alternative......

It doesn't really matter now. The farmer has decided on chains and padlocks and barbed wire for the gates.

But we still need to stop people climbing over fences and walls to get into the wood.

sign warning of dangers, ect

Then every gate hole scafold plank with 6" nails though it, really ****** anyone who trespasses in car/ quad off........ they drive in and need 4 new tyres....

We don't get people quad biking up there. except for the ones we caught a few weeks ago. And you can't get into the wood with a car anyway. The track is either:

Not wide enough (the track has been taken over by gorse bushes in a few places, ever since the forestry commission abandoned it. It's now only wide enough for a quad bike in some areas)

Too muddy

All of the above

So we have decided on chains and padlocks for the gates, with barbed wire wrapped around the top rail, but we will need more, because some people climb over some of the fences into the wood.

I say this every post, but keep the ideas conming in please!

Barbed is easy to climb unless in a very open roll which then bends away, there is no simple option but if you dont use the track for vehicles often then some big rocks or stumps will stop quads I would fit barbed to the top rail of gate and also the attach to the bottom in a roll on each side making the gate a look like a SxS with the gate being the rib.

Barbed is easy to climb unless in a very open roll which then bends away, there is no simple option but if you dont use the track for vehicles often then some big rocks or stumps will stop quads I would fit barbed to the top rail of gate and also the attach to the bottom in a roll on each side making the gate a look like a SxS with the gate being the rib.

Would it not work if we had the fence a bit higher? Or use smaller mesh so people can't get a foothold on the fence?

We do use the forestry track for vehicles. We also drive livestock through the wood in the summer. The wood is in the middle of a farm, so we have to move stock through the wood. That would cause problems to put stumps and rocks on the track.

• 1 month later...
I am experienceing the same problem (but it isnt a wood they are tresspassing on)

So i made this this morning.

Bit of MDF and some paint.........................

http://i424.photobucket.com/albums/pp330/j...om/DSC00878.jpg

What do you think? :(

Funnily enough I have actually a similar sign, not a home made one, saying DANGER Land Mines. Everyone knew it wasn't true but funnily enough nobody wanted to walk through the wood to prove the point :angry:

If it's off putting signs you're after, the best one I saw was in Northumberland and would certainly make me think twice about taking a short-cut. OK it was in deer territory but it was a big sign with red writing and simply said:

DANGER

PRIVATE WOOD - DO NOT ENTER

RIFLES IN USE!