English Open Sporting.....7th - 9th May

Catamong

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

CAN HISTORY REPEAT ITSELF?

I've been given a pile of old Shooting Times magazines which I'm slowly working my way through and finding them much more interesting than their current offerings. One of the differences between the issues from the 21st century and those from earlier times is that the Shooting Times reported on clay shooting as well as game shooting and hunting, in fact it was the official magazine of the CPSA for a time.

Anyhoo to the point, picked up an issue dated 7th - 13th August 1986 and there, in glorious black & white, is a two page report on the 1986 English Open Sporting Championship which was held at West Midland SG (aka Hodnet). Nothing unusual there, English Open is held every year, Hodnet always has been a super ground and has held a good number of major championships over the years BUT and it's one of my favorite big buts, the winner and 1986 English Open Champion was a 27 year old C class shooter called Stephen Fryer from Peterborough who had only shot 3 x 100 bird shoots in his life before :blush::P:no: He shot a 94 and beat the runner-up, the late legend A J (Smoker) Smith, by 2 birds

I had only just taken up clay pigeon shooting in 1986 and it was the early 90's before I shot my first registered comp and I had never heard of this before, am reasonably certain no one other than an AA or AAA class shooter has won a major title in the more recent past but I think it was a fantastic achievement. I don't suppose it is likely to happen again but you never know it could be this year and it could be a PW member. :yes:

I'm shooting it on the Saturday afternoon and I'm looking forward to it, realistic (but unlikely) ambition is a placing in A class but Good Luck to all the PW members who will be shooting this, don't forget we have already got an English Open Champion in our midst.

Mr Potter

Well, that's the first time that it's been full in years.

It just goes to show what happens when you avoid duff grounds like Southern Counties and Foresakenheath, and shave a fiver off the entry fee. :yes:

Glad to see the CPSA getting something right for a change. :blush:

Cat.

Edited by Catamong

Yes, I remember Steve Fryer winning that shoot, it was one of the biggest upsets in history, and it was about the only shoot he ever did win..!!

I think they held the British Open there the following year, which was won by John Wells.

Cat.

Just looked up the weather for Hodnet tomorow light rain

from 7 am to 1pm :hmm: and 20 to 24 mph winds :no::no:

bring your wet gear chaps. :D

That looks more like the Metcheck forecast for Saturday :lol:

I don't think they're capable of telling us what the weather is doing right now, let alone over the weekend.

Think I'll just wait and see :good:

Edited by Chard

That looks more like the Metcheck forecast for Saturday :lol:

I don't think they're capable of telling us what the weather is doing right now, let alone over the weekend.

Think I'll just wait and see :good:

After Kegworth on Monday EVERYTHING warm and dry that i own is getting packed for Saturdays escapade :D:hmm:

I have just come past Hodnet today and it is very cloudy and has been raining at times - quite heavy this morning as I was going other way - forecast according to my computer is rain tomorrow as well - As I am sitting here it's dull out but temp is 57.2f so dress for warm but bring light weight waterproofs.

Dave

Good luck tomorrow B, hope its good weather for you. :lol:

He's up to his dodgy tactics.

He's trying to put me off by "forgetting" to pick up my big winnings from Llandegla yesterday.

I think he's hoping I'll back out for financial reasons :good:

What you given up with the auto as well now - don't think a brolly will work either :lol::hmm::D:no: :no:

Would have done better with a brolly at Kegworth the other day :good: A semi auto Brolly is what I need.

Don't let NickyT get his hands on it though.........Brolly murderer :lol: