"Misfire" problem....follow up.

Cranfield

Thanks to lurcherboy for sending me the contact details of his personal Gunsmith, I have had my Silver Pigeon checked out and returned within 7 days. ;)

I know that a lot of members shoot Berettas and also single selective trigger weapons, so the following might be of interest.

He completely stripped it down, serviced it and could find no "hardware" problems at all.

Despite test firing a couple of 100 rounds, he couldn't duplicate the misfire.

He also took a slight "ding" out of the rib, while he had it on the bench.

So, the considered opinion is;

A small piece of something in the action, but he doubts this, as the action was so clean and Berretta's fit is so tight, that there isn't much room for anything to get in.

Extra thick clothing soaking up the recoil, therefore not allowing the change over to the second barrel.

This is possible, as the first occasions were very cold days and the second was on a clay shoot, when I tend to wear extra padding.

Fault with cartridges.

I buy by the 1000 in 250 boxes (Gamebore), which I assume are consecutively manufactured.

If a few cartridges over a couple of boxes were not 100%, then this is another possibility.

Of course it could have been just, "Sod's Law" . :thumbs:

i was shooting my laurona o/u last weekend at clays with eleys and we had 5 misfires between 3 different guns,my second misfire the first barrel fired and i hit the clay and then i pulled the second trigger and nothing hapened and i her the pin hit the primer and nothing happened so i waited 10 seconds pointing down range and then brught the gun to unload pointing down range and when i touched the breaking lever(i dont know the real name) the cartridge just whent off and i nearly crapped myself. nd i didnt hi a single clay after that stand that day. ;) :thumbs:

dont blame you mate, i would hate a hangfire like that, you are really meant to leave it about 2 mins if the gun does not go off, although this rarely seems to happen as 99% of the time its just a miss feed

10 seconds

do you have this in writing mate? i have been told 2 mins by several range officers and a google search has not turned up a time period less than 30secs?

im intreaged, have i been misinformed by the range officers? is there actually a written length of time to wait?

dont blame you mate, i would hate a hangfire like that, you are really meant to leave it about 2 mins if the gun does not go off, although this rarely seems to happen as 99% of the time its just a miss feed

10 seconds

do you have this in writing mate? i have been told 2 mins by several range officers and a google search has not turned up a time period less than 30secs?

im intreaged, have i been misinformed by the range officers? is there actually a written length of time to wait?

SAS Training mate :D:D

shuuuuuuuuuuussssssssssshhhhhhhhhh don't tell anyone :D:D:D:D

Jonno :D:D:lol:

30 seconds is the minimum you'd ever want, had the same thing happen to me a number of years back, certanly tightens the sphincter :*)

cranfield did you ever consider you had not fully released the trigger ??

therefore not setting the second barrel ,just curious

Martin

I was just going to say the same , its easy on a cold day to get stiff finger syndrome and not realese the trigger fully,

Mind you if it was a true misfire you would have seen the "ding" in the cap

WB

I store my cartridges in a warm dry cupboard, so they should be OK.

Not releasinging the trigger fully , is something I haven't considered.

We all shoot "automatically" and I haven't a clue whether I dwell on the trigger too long, or not.

I will try some test firing and see if I can duplicate the problem by doing this. :D

very simple to duplicate Cranfield, shoot 2 targets as fast as you can do this a few times and you'l see how easy it is to hang the trigger on the first sear.

one of those sittuations though that once you think of it you do it more :*) :*)

before pulling trigger think "calm blue ocean" or " big fat ti**ys " whatever works :thumbs:

Martin

I store my cartridges in a warm dry cupboard, so they should be OK.

Not releasinging the trigger fully , is something I haven't considered.

We all shoot "automatically" and I haven't a clue whether I dwell on the trigger too long, or not.

I will try some test firing and see if I can duplicate the problem by doing this. :thumbs:

Misfires are normally when the pin dosent quite strike the cartridge hard enough rather than badly stored cartridges

If you aren't realeasing the trigger properly then you will see the cartridge will be unmarked

Just be careful when you open your gun , Treat it as a misfire!!! then no one will get hurt

Happy / Safe Hunting

WB

quite a strange observation, but ive noticed that long term beretta users dont seem to get on with miroku's and brownings. in several cases they have done as described, and not released the trigger far enough between shots.

maybe the brownings have alot of overtravel on the trigger? (i realise this is not related to Cranfields problem as it was a beretta)

personally ive never ever had a misfire due to not releasing the trigger, i have however had cartridges that have not been struck hard enough (mainly in beretta 391) and had one to my recolection that just wouldnt go off.

• 2 weeks later...
do any of you use d and j and find you get a fair few missfires?

i have gone off them as i get 1 or 2 nearley every box

what gun are you using :thumbs:?,

you may find you have a problem with the pins, to short for the primer to be hit

or it may be the primers are set in a little to far :D?

Martin

I once had my berreta 687 missfire and jam the barrel lock completly, had to take the gun still loaded after waiting ages with it in the field and trying all sorts to open or make it go off, with a live still in the gun i had to set off home and then to the gunsmiths, the thing would not open at all, he hated haveing to unscrew parts to release it, but fortunately a mainsping had broken and jammed the whole issue up so the fireing pin wasnt wasnt in danger of a strike. not nice and not an easy thing to counter for .