.308 ammo

Yes but the NRA are selling RUAG match ammo for £70 per hundred and thats made by Lapua. They have just dropped the price from £76 per hundred.

There seems to be no logic in some of the ammo prices at the moment. Many deer shooters are only going to buy a single box of 20 per year so the prices don't hurt them that much but I shoot targets and can get through 60 rounds in a day easily.

All my worries stopped when I discovered PPU ammunition. Its great ammo and I don't even bother reloading any more. However, I would like some explaination from the various importers as to why there are such huge differences in price. I doubt if we will get it though.

I usually load my own ammo but sometimes a shoot comes up and I haven`t got the time. I paid about £40 for Men 147gr x100, the PPU was 145gr, for the extra £5 I now have cases I can reload.

Saying that thoughI may try some of the other bullet weights PPU do the ammo shoots quite well, my barrel is a 1 in 12 twist so will probably like a heavier bullet, with reloading component prices on the increase it may pay to buy PPU/Privi instead of reloading.

At that price I`d want a V bull everytime I shot that Lapua :good:

PPU also do 168grn and 175grn FMJ in .308. The 168grn is called thier match ammo but it is dearer, about £60 per hundred. The problem is finding a supply of it. The only place that might do it is Fultons.

A few miles up the road in Bracknell, Andy HAS some and a good price...

http://www.tfsa.co.uk/

:good::good:

Edit

He has both weights!!

Edited by Dekers

Yes but the NRA are selling RUAG match ammo for £70 per hundred and thats made by Lapua. They have just dropped the price from £76 per hundred .

There seems to be no logic in some of the ammo prices at the moment. Many deer shooters are only going to buy a single box of 20 per year so the prices don't hurt them that much but I shoot targets and can get through 60 rounds in a day easily.

All my worries stopped when I discovered PPU ammunition. Its great ammo and I don't even bother reloading any more. However, I would like some explaination from the various importers as to why there are such huge differences in price. I doubt if we will get it though.

You are "correct" ish, but I feel a little more clarification is required, all is not quite as you portray!!!

Dear NRA member/Club Official,

Great news! We are releasing a limited quantity of 2009 RUAG ammunition at the significantly reduced price of 80 pence per round. With the 10p refund available for once fired cases this takes your net price down to just...

70 pence per round!

We ask that there be a minimum purchase of 1000 rounds, and the offer is valid until the end of May 2010. We regret we will not be able to offer storage for ammunition bought at this special price. Payment on pickup at the Range Office.

Please contact Fred James at armoury@nra.org.uk, or call us on 01483 797777 ext 134 to discuss your requirements, including any special arrangements you may need to return your once-fired cases to us.

:good::good:

Yes but the NRA are selling RUAG match ammo for £70 per hundred and thats made by Lapua. They have just dropped the price from £76 per hundred.

As far as I am aware....

http://www.henrykrank.com/

is the sole UK importer, any variation in price is down to in dividual RFD!!

As far as I am aware....

http://www.henrykrank.com/

is the sole UK importer, any variation in price is down to in dividual RFD!!

No sorry, I meant among the different importers of the various brands of ammunition.

I like to look on the various websites around the world and see large price differences.

Why for example can my mate in America buy Lapua (for example) or Norma so much cheaper than we can off the shelf in his local dealers. Its still very expensive by American standards but its a lot less than here. Also he can get that German MEN stuff for about 10p a round and we are paying nearly four times that.

Edited by Vince Green

• 1 year later...

I`ve used the PPU 168gr match ammo with good results at 300 and 600 yards, currently £68 per 100 at my rfd.

I also shoot the PPU 147gr ammo if I feel lazy and as mentioned cant be bothered to do any reloading, trouble is I`m now over run with once fired PPU cases.