Why are Landrovers so expensive ?

ME

I am NOT talking about Gaylanders, Discos or Rangeys here.

I saw a lovely modern defender / 90 at the weekend, it was convertible and I thought that I would look on Ebay and Autotrader to see what Defenders / 90 sell for.

I was shocked at the money that these over-rated, unreliable tractors command :good: Why are they so expensive ? A decent one with bells and whistles was £10K plus :good::good::P

Sad bas****s like me I guess. I have 3 including 2 series 2a's. Big brand loyalty with the land rover. They go wrong all the time but people keep on buying them. Easy, the older ones, to maintain and cheap parts. I don't understand it myself, as you spend as much time underneath the things as driving them, but I am one of those geeks. Haed over heart you buy a Toyota, which is what I'll do next, but it is a supply and demand thing.

And they are perfect for what they were designed for.

And they are perfect for what they were designed for.

And that about sums it up ! As for the unreliability, well, all I can suggest is that folk don't try and do things on the cheap.

The last two I owned were a series three 12 seater that ran faultlessly for 12 years and a 110 12 seater that did the same for ten years. Buy one second hand, strip it and rebuild to factory spec (or better) and you'll have no trouble at all. Buy one and just run it with the last owners bodges and get what you deserve :good:

I now have a Toyota (bad knees don't fit in a Land Rover) and am just waiting for the most expensive repair in my life to come along, should have bought a Disco I think. :good:

I know its great just about to sell my 110 11 seater they are just purley desirable thats what it boils down too .

Unrealiable I also dont know whats your on about I have had many landies serviced well they as realiable as a jap car.

I am big fan of scoobies but boy when you need to replace a damper etc it 10 times the price of a geniune landrover damper.

Regards OTH

I saw a lovely modern defender / 90 at the weekend, it was convertible and I thought that I would look on Ebay and Autotrader to see what Defenders / 90 sell for.

I was shocked at the money that these over-rated, unreliable tractors command :good: Why are they so expensive ? A decent one with bells and whistles was £10K plus :good::P:lol:

It is supply and demand, very few are bought new as compared with other models either Land Rover or Japanese so when people want to buy them used price is higher. I an on my first Land Rover after running Mitsubishi's. It is fun to drive but the build quality is just not there ! Have loads of mates running series Land Rovers through to Range Rovers and the same problem is there, they just call it "character" :good: To be honest you pay your money and take your choice. My Mitsubishi ran for 9 years and 178,000 and only need a new wheel baring now oil leaks or weeps at all anywhere.(And it did have a hard working life) The land Rover in 1 year has had fuel leak, and rear suspension problems at 43,000. However, it has been reliable and never let me down. If you maintain a defender they are reliable but will need more maintainance and regular replacement parts.

Whatever you buy enjoy it.

they have gone crazy prices , i see one the other day with half a front end missing really old one prob would cost 2-3 k to mget it on the road and it just said offers, i rang the number and guy said sorry m8 its gone , i asked what he was offered and he said a grande this was for a car i would usually send to the scrap yard just proves there is money in these old dogs

I have been told that 75% of all defenders built are still running, I have a r reg with only 55000 on the clock, went to trade it for a new one and they suggested it was worth around £7000.... Looked for a newish 110 defender and the dealers told me they just dont see them. They must be doing something correct.

Me I love them

doc

Because they hold their value so well? I just picked up a 54 reg 110 at the weekend and will shortly be selling my 96P 90 Hard Top. I've owned it for two years and judging by current prices and what its cost me in maintenance (I haven't skrimped on anything!) it will have been one of the cheapest vehicles I've ever owned.

OOOhhhhhhh.....! (Rather orgasmic sound) Just found the best place to get Landy bits. The local garage/breakers yard is just a Landy graveyard and they're selling bits for a fraction of the price you can get them on the internet :good:

Just picked up 5 Alloy wheels and side steps for £300 :good:

Anyway, back to the thread. Yes, they're getting expensive. I bought 2 Landys (Safari (old old thing) and 90 (L reg) about 5 years ago for £1000. Shows how times have changed!

Edited by harfordwmj

I was shocked at the money that these over-rated, unreliable tractors command :stupid: Why are they so expensive ? A decent one with bells and whistles was £10K plus :P:yay::lol:

They are expensive because fools and their money are easily parted.

JB

I have hankered after one of these for quite a while now and after selling my car I now have the cash to go and buy one:rolleyes:

I have a jimny just now for my shooting needs and can`t decide whether or not to sell that and go for the defender :lol:

decisions...decisions :lol:

I have hankered after one of these for quite a while now and after selling my car I now have the cash to go and buy one:rolleyes:

I have a jimny just now for my shooting needs and can`t decide whether or not to sell that and go for the defender :hmm:

decisions...decisions :unsure:

Defender!!

DONT forget to include AA RAC Green Flag, Etc. All taxi fares, All bus fares,Board and lodgings for your mechanic, Missed days at work, Lots of new shoes, Gloves for pushing cold tailgate, Solid fuel or whatever for heating, Sponges for wiping rain from screen, Elastoplasts for knuckles,Then calculate these with money saved Ie not relly use much fuel, No hollidays, No just nipping to shops, All these need considering with any landrover purchase costs !

People seem to be very down on defenders unless they actually own one!

I have had one (200tdi) for a while and have experienced no mechanical issues. It was leaking water through a seal in the back but this was easily (and cheaply) replaced - you have to expect seals to be slightly perished on a vehicle now 20 years old!

They are comparitively more expensive than almost any other alternative but having had a test drive in quite a number of different vehicles i preferred the defender every time! I feel part of the driving experience rather than being sat on top of some boat.

One issue to beware of is buying one that a have-a-go owner has been 'tinkering' with. You can't blame the vehicle (or its manufacturers) when most of the issues experienced are as a result on someone else's poor maintenace or shoddy modifications.

People seem to be very down on defenders unless they actually own one!

I have had one (200tdi) for a while and have experienced no mechanical issues. It was leaking water through a seal in the back but this was easily (and cheaply) replaced - you have to expect seals to be slightly perished on a vehicle now 20 years old!

They are comparitively more expensive than almost any other alternative but having had a test drive in quite a number of different vehicles i preferred the defender every time! I feel part of the driving experience rather than being sat on top of some boat.

One issue to beware of is buying one that a have-a-go owner has been 'tinkering' with. You can't blame the vehicle (or its manufacturers) when most of the issues experienced are as a result on someone else's poor maintenace or shoddy modifications.

You always get this with Land Rovers, people buy a pile of c**p because they cannot afford the going rate. They "mend it" (and I use the term loosely) as cheaply as possible then moan when it doesn't last, you get used to this sort of rubbish after a while. Land Rovers ARE expensive, end of.

If you can't afford one don't moan when it breaks.

You always get this with Land Rovers, people buy a pile of c**p because they cannot afford the going rate. They "mend it" (and I use the term loosely) as cheaply as possible then moan when it doesn't last, you get used to this sort of rubbish after a while. Land Rovers ARE expensive, end of.

If you can't afford one don't moan when it breaks.

Well said :good:

If you pay £800 for a Land Rover. Expect problems... They're a valuable commodity, so there's clearly going to be a problem if they're that cheap!