New Car Advice

fortune82

Having had my previous car smashed to bits I am now in the market for a new one. I dont think i need a 4x4 anymore although something with a bit of ground clearance would be good for rough tracks etc. I also want something with good MPG ie over 45 - 50 and with decent insurance and road tax.

Any ideas, I also want to spend around 8K. I had though of a dodge caliber but have been shot down in flames by a few mates and the reviews dont look too good!

Any ideas?

Thanks

I also want something with good MPG ie over 45 - 50

Don't look at a Volvo XC70 the mpg from mine is in the low 30's. The front shockers are now leaking oil, the bill from an indie garage to replace them is nigh on £1200, they cost £460 plus vat each. I'm awaiting the price from a main dealer to do the job now, that'll be a laugh :hmm:

As shot shot said a scooby(gotta be an impreza), or maybe even an evo VII you could pick up a decent one for that price :blink:

and of course you'll get 40-50mpg from one :hmm:

he sounds like he's at an age where he doesn't need a penis enhancing car anyway :yes:

Its tricky if you want good economy and a bit of ground clearance there isn't much if you want it reasonably new you could look at suzuki Jimneys if you weren't totally off the 4x4 option or otherwise you're after a smallish TD car

2nd vote for a Forrester, mate of mine has a 2l one.

Quick car and car handling but 4 wheel drive, great clearance and plenty of space.

Don't have masses of features but do have everything you need.

Only problem is that he only gets mpg in the 30s but maybe he's got a heavy right foot. Don't know if they do a diesel version?

£8k will buy you a decent one

Edited by Dr W

nissan quashai should be available for the £8k mark if you look about, good ground clearance, 2wd and a reliable run around, returning approx 40mpg

:hmm: :blink: :yes:

joe

I agree, I have a 2.0 DCi 2WD Qashqai and have no trouble with ground clearance and it's very reliable.

My driving is mainly urban and round town with very little motorway and my overall real world fuel enconomy is 41mpg. On motorway runs it's 54\55mpg.

There will be plenty around as most of the first once are coming up to 3 years old and a lot of owners are upgrading to the 2010 model. I may do the same thing as mine is 3 in October.

Cheers,

Jon.

Audi A4 allroad 2.5tdi or volvo xc70 2.4D, :blink: have a look on autotrader there are some nice ones on there...

Tom :hmm:

I agree. Friend of mine bought a 54 plate 1 owner for £9K recently. All the toys - heated seats, sat nav etc. Build quality is great and the V6 diesel has loads of pull, but she only gets about 35/40mpg out of it.

cheers,

The Audi is very heavy and quite thirsty a mate had one swapped to a 328 coupe same MPG! There are few urban utility vehicles types that may suit (diesel Scooby is possible but no oil burners are UK cars some went to ireland i think or may be jap imports). Honda CRV (some are 4x4) or HRV? NEw Outbacks come in diesel but way over £8k Hyundai Tucson come in 2x4 and 4x4 flavours