The Pacific/ Band of Brothers

Horrocks

The new product of the Spielburg/Hanks union, Sky are going berserk over it. I watched the first three episodes last night and thought it was very good, if overly sentimental. So far not quite as good as Band of Brothers, but interesting and emminently watchable for any of you are interested in the pacific campaign, or just watching huge amounts of Japanese and Americans getting shot....

Anyone else seen it?

couldn't quite resist using this one: :hmm::yes:

Sorry :blink:

H.

Edit: this is assuming any fellow rifle shooters have enough money left over to afford Sky, which we don't, i had to go to a friends to watch it...

Edited by Horrocks

I wouldn't have said its anything like c**p, i thought it was really actually quite good, although the realism dies slightly when they see the mutilated bodies of fellow soldiers in episode one and fail to react in any particularily shocked manner, as i would imagine you would at your first sight. Theres also the fact i can't stand the main bookish (the academic chap) actor, he just irritates me and his acting is terrible, it seems bizzarre they'd have someone so bad as a main character.

H.

not the best i waited months for this now why dont they make one about stalingrad

I shouldnt Imagine the topic would be as popular in america, it would have to be incredibly shocking too. I'd really like them to make one about the Brits (In normandy, north africa or india and burma), we faced some huge deal of fighting in that war and it only ever seems to be all american yahoo's that are portrayed as winning it whilst we either are not dealt with at all, or (as was the case with a particular episode in 'Band of Brothers') portrayed as short-sighted, idiotic and bumbling gentleman types. It would be nice to see spielburg and hanks create a more true to form rather than hollywood type creation, with less of an infusion of what my father referred to as a 'jewish sentimentality'.

In the first episodes of this series we got lots of human 'sob-stories' and very little of the historical wider picture, apart from Hanks' long winded and boring introduction, before the long winded and boring title scenes both of which only serve to highlight the fact its all just retrospective actors in the 21st century (as opposed to B o B, which got you involved and was pretty beleivable, in my opinion), I dont think the camera work is too good either, too much looking up in to the forest canopy a sure-fire way, i should imagine, to find yourself on the end of a japanese bayonet pretty sharpish.

other than that, pretty good....

not the best i waited months for this now why dont they make one about stalingrad

They should really, but they wont becuase it is not politically correct do to the sides which were fighting.Anything German or Russian is bad in the crtics eyes.

I would certainly like to see a blockbuster high budget or two centering about the battles from the First world war as well....

They should really, but they wont becuase it is not politically correct do to the sides which were fighting.Anything German or Russian is bad in the crtics eyes.

I would certainly like to see a blockbuster high budget or two centering about the battles from the First world war as well....

They've got alot to get right before they tackle such a contentious issue as the battles of world war one, until they get this retrospective sentimental hollywood bull **** out of the way there's no way they can properly handle it. Band of Brothers was good and beleivable, The Pacific not so much because it focuses on the sob stories which effectively eclipse everything else.

The first world war would im sure be handled as 'look at these poor boys going off to die, sent by mean, upper class and useless generals' which, whilst it has its merits, is very much a modern view......

I'd like a proper, accurate historical drama coloured less by a blatant modern vew of the wars as they were, can't the viewer be trusted to come to their own conclusions?

Have you seen "Enemy at the gate" very watchable imo.

Cheers Rob.

Yep very good but I only watched a part of the 'pacific' I found it a bit shallow like many US war flims bit like a cowboy with different hats and more shooting.

I saw on jungle part when the yanks got ambushed, oh no - who walks through open jungle in sun light :yes: