Tick Removal

plexer

Aren't they nasty little blighters.

Poor cooper had one on his face so I bought an O'Tom tick remover set last night they are just a couple of plastic hooks that allow you to get underneath the tick and as your twist it the tick pops out. Much easier than other methods of removal and safer too.

Recommend that everyone buys a set for when their poor fellas get one.

Ben

I use a product from the vets called Frontline. There is two versions one is a spray which is applied straight on the tick, which kills it and it just brushes off after a few hours. The on e I use is a "spot on" which is applied on the back of the dogs neck and kills ticks fleas and lice for up to 4 weeks.

It isn't cheap but it kills them as soon as they bite, just in case you don't find them.

Cheers

MC

martincavie,

Do you find that the frontline stuff works, I tried it on my 2 dogs, 1at the time one was is 4 and the other 13, it seemed to work OK on the older dog, but on the younger one who is always swimming and rollong in puddles ect it seemed to wash off and be much less efective. Just something to look out for on a working dog.

Also havent seen a tick on my 2 for a month or more now so not seeing them round here as much at the moment, but htey are rife in the spring

Cheers

Trev

There is a new version of frontline or it might be another product can't remember which that is waterproof so would be better in that respect. The issue with using any chemical intervention on a tick that is allready attached or the old method of applying a hot match etc... to them is that it can cause them to inject gut contents into the host.

Using a remover means this doesn't happen.

I'm also sure I read somewhere that the spray protection lasts longer than the spot on.

Ben

Hi Country est,

I have found it to be very effective, the spot on I normally put on at night so it has a chance to soak in before Merlin starts playing and swimming etc.

The spray is good but as soon as I get the bottle from the cupboard Merlin disappears.

He seems to be prone to ticks at the moment, probably getting at least one a week.

I have sprayed his kennel as well but it doesn't seem to make any difference.

Cheers

Martin

Plexer,

I think the one you are talking about is frontline combo, which is what I use. It sterilises the tick or flea on contact so if they drop off and lay their eggs , they don't hatch.

Not sure about waterproof, I'll read the packet tonight and let you all know

Cheers

MC

So it's not good to use a cigarette end like we did in 'Nam? :lol:

was out with a mate on the lash and we bumped into a couple of local hard boys, one fronts up to my mate and gives him the eye....

my mate cool as **** looks back and says don’t test me mate I’ve meet plenty of hard men in NAM, the boy says was you in the core at Vietnam

my mate says no on the ford production line at Dagenham :thumbs: ;):)

I thank you

• 1 month later...

cheaper option - patroleum based jelly, as someone previously mentioned, they eventually suffocate and come off.

however, the most effective way of preventing ticks, is frontline.

believe me, with 4 extremely hairy newfoundlands, fond of water and rampaging through the undergrowth, it works. never had a problem with ticks of fleas in the 9 years i've had newfoundlands, and ive always used frontline.

only thing i would say is, your dog has not to have been in the water or bathed 24 hours previously to the application (little pipette (size dependent upon weight of your dog), squeezed onto the skin between the shoulder blades), or 48 hours after aplication to be at its most affected.

they recommend you use it every two months for fleas and every month for ticks. i find every two months sufficient.