Salty old fox

Redgum

I shoot some land that has a wood with a population of nervous Muntjac, I have been trying to get them into a place that is safe to shoot and have been experimenting with differant flavour mineral licks with limited success as I only want to shoot the bucks as I want to keep the population up.

I was sat in my hide yesterday evening and had seen nothing apart from an angry grey squirrel and a hare ambling through the wood. Then there was movement from something a little larger, the light was starting to fade but through my bino's, there it was. A large dog fox looking very healthy and taking great delight in licking the salt lick, he spent a bit of time there before slinking off into the undergrowth. The Munties didnt appear but as I walked back to my van but I did startled two that were in long grass just outside the wood, their distinctive white undertails waving like flags as they dissappeared into the dark. I'm thinking of trying honey and peanut butter smeared on the tree trunks next, may never find a munty attractor but will be able to make a very good wildlife documentary. :lol:

Oh and you may ask why I didnt shoot the fox, this will madden a few of ya, I just like foxes and the owner doesnt have lambs or pheasants but plenty of rabbits.

Oh and you may ask why I didnt shoot the fox, this will madden a few of ya, I just like foxes and the owner doesnt have lambs or pheasants but plenty of rabbits.

thats a grand thing to do considering the functions and population of tthe land you were shooting on. this is a true act of conservation compared to the see fox, shoot fox assumtion. Its obvious fox's do have an impact on wildlife but on your land that does not hold a head of game that a sporting estate relys on for income to leave the fox to control the rabbits is a wise move. well done.

as for the muntys im no expert and have only seen a handful and baged a couple. both taken and the rest seen munching on a bale of silage in an old plantation where sheep were. could be worth a try dumping a bale of silage next to some cover and see how that fairs.

good luck fella,

scotty

good luck with finding a potion that works on munties,and well done on not shooting fox just cos you can,i would have i think but admire people who dont lol.if it was nt causing a problem let it be . :lol:

ya i`am the same with roe deer i have seen 8 alltogether in my fields but wont shoot them, only the fox`s

ps same post just different quarry

Since the ban on fox hunting with hounds shooting them with rifles seems to be the latest sport. This has fuelled a huge market for fox shooting goodies and must be worth alot of money. There is a big differance between controlling foxes and just shooting them for sport. I shoot them if I'm instructed but if not I'd rather observe them, a beautiful and adaptable creature.

I found squirrels and rats like peanut butter. I used it last year in my tunnel traps to great effect. Never tried it with honey though.

I am trying deer salt licks for the first time this year, i have one young roe buck who uses one as a fraying stock, the little blighter. unfortunately he is a nice one i am leaving for the future.

I have two permissions where I leave the foxes, because I was asked to leave them to control the rabbits. So I do!

Let us know if you find something the munties like!

ft