4x4 advice required

bitblitter

I'm in the market for a used 4x4 at the moment. I would prefer to get a Hilux double cab but I am also tempted by the Mitsubishi L200.

What are the good and bad points of each? Anything to look out for or whatever?

Thanks,

Bitblitter

I have never owned a hilux but did run an L200 for about 9 years and I loved it. Great to drive, both on and off road, completely reliable. When I did purchase the L200 I had the same choice (both were 1999 models) and the major factor was comfort, the Hilux managed to give me back ache on the test drive, I also understood from my son that it was much less comfortable than the L200 in the back. However, can't comment on the newer models.

Hope that helps.

Which every you go for I would recommend Milner Off Road in Matlock for service parts etc even with the postage costs nobody round here could match prices.

I have a 56 plate Hilux single cab at work and to be honest, I think it's pretty ****. Yes its a utility model, but its very noisy, underpowered even in 2wd and in 4wd it doesn't give me much confidence with the goodyear wranglers it has on. Nothing compared to my 300TDi disco, which I have driven in the same places.

Awful in the snow and ice, my boss managed to get his focus estate up a slope easier than I did the Hilux.

Can't compare it to the l200 as I haven't driven one.

My dad has a hilux and rates it as it does what he wants, its his farm car and also the utility model but i have done a small amount of off roading in it when he lets me pop out lamping and i don't rate it much me and my brother have had it stuck twice as he pulled down a 5 foot grassy slope the hilux could not get back up :lol: admittedly it is very steep and was wet and having to reverse up it but none the less i can't help but feel the old farm defender would have got up it no problem maybe if it had better tires on it it would be up to more but i wouldn't buy one for off roading it will do it but not that well maybe me and my brother are **** at off road :thumbs: but if you are doing big miles on the road it is smooth enough and so far more pleasurable to drive than a defender.

George

My dad has a hilux and rates it as it does what he wants, its his farm car and also the utility model but i have done a small amount of off roading in it when he lets me pop out lamping and i don't rate it much me and my brother have had it stuck twice as he pulled down a 5 foot grassy slope the hilux could not get back up :lol: admittedly it is very steep and was wet and having to reverse up it but none the less i can't help but feel the old farm defender would have got up it no problem maybe if it had better tires on it it would be up to more but i wouldn't buy one for off roading it will do it but not that well maybe me and my brother are **** at off road :thumbs: but if you are doing big miles on the road it is smooth enough and so far more pleasurable to drive than a defender.

George

To be honest tyres are everything here, the Bridgestone H/T I had on the L200 originally were useless but put a set of BFG AT on and it could hold its own with defenders (with AT tyres on) in all but the deapest ruts when the independant front suspension made it ground .