Advice on keeping Ferrets

Marcus

I have for a long time now (a few years) wanted a Ferret (Mrs W insists I wait for my cat to die first before I have a Ferret :good: ) I have done some reading up on the subject and talked to 'ferret people' at country fairs etc to get my knowledge up. Before I take a final decision, thought I would ask the experienced folk on here about the subject.

I dont intend to work the Ferret (I have no permissions yet etc) so it would be just a pet.

What advice would you give a complete novice ?

How many 1 or 2 Ferrets

Hob or Gill

Youngster or older Ferret to start with for a novice

Size of accomodation

Food

exercise requirements.....etc etc

Thanks

I have for a long time now (a few years) wanted a Ferret (Mrs W insists I wait for my cat to die first before I have a Ferret :good: ) I have done some reading up on the subject and talked to 'ferret people' at country fairs etc to get my knowledge up. Before I take a final decision, thought I would ask the experienced folk on here about the subject.

I dont intend to work the Ferret (I have no permissions yet etc) so it would be just a pet.

What advice would you give a complete novice ?

How many 1 or 2 Ferrets

Hob or Gill

Youngster or older Ferret to start with for a novice

Size of accomodation

Food

exercise requirements.....etc etc

Thanks

Forget it, you will get bitten daft and the smell will put the misses right off you!

:rolleyes::yes:

I have a ferreting requirement several times a year but there is no way I would consider keeping them, I have a crew I call upon, and as for a pet :P:yes::hmm:

ATB!!

Forget it, you will get bitten daft and the smell will put the misses right off you!

:yes::good:

I have a ferreting requirement several times a year but there is no way I would consider keeping them, I have a crew I call upon, and as for a pet :rolleyes::P:yes:

ATB!!

I dont know what up is on about ferrets can be not only wonderful workers but also great pets far more interactive than most over small furry creatures like cats.

But you must insure you have enough time to look after them correctly as they are far more high maintance than a cat.

I would stick with two young hobs that have had the snip jills are a pain the backside like most things female coming into season like PMT is a nightmare.

You dont need a huge hutch so long as you get them out daily to play you can even have them out in a part of the house thats ferret prove.

Food wise I have for years used chudleys ferret over james wellbeloved as I found the later was too oily and gave the ferrets a waxy brown stuff at the base of there fur.32% protein is I think the min as ferrets have very short digestive tracts and need higher protein to get enough for there busy active style off life.

When you first get them whistle talk alot too them as ferrets have short eyesight and react to your voice well.

Kind regards OTH

Edited by Over the hill

I dont know what up is on about ferrets can be not only wonderful workers but also great pets far more interactive than most over small furry creatures like cats.

But you must insure you have enough time to look after them correctly as they are far more high maintance than a cat.

I would stick with two young hobs that have had the snip jills are a pain the backside like most things female coming into season like PMT is a nightmare.

You dont need a huge hutch so long as you get them out daily to play you can even have them out in a part of the house thats ferret prove.

Food wise I have for years used chudleys ferret over james wellbeloved as I found the later was too oily and gave the ferrets a waxy brown stuff at the base of there fur.32% protein is I think the min as ferrets have very short digestive tracts and need higher protein to get enough for there busy active style off life.

When you first get them whistle talk alot too them as ferrets have short eyesight and react to your voice well.

Kind regards OTH

There speaks a Ferret man...ATB!! :good::yes::rolleyes:

Hutched pets (rabbits, hamsters, etc) need a lot more attention than house pets and do not thrive on neglect.

They need regular cleaning, feeding , watering and interaction with you/exercise.

Its quite a commitment and needs thinking about carefully.

If you don't intend to work them and want to have them in the house sometimes, then the suggestion on dry food is a good one.

OTH's other comments are spot on.

Thanks for the input. Its as I have read up on which is good to know I havent wasted my time so far.

The only issue I have at the moment is the daily interaction etc. I do work from home, but I'll have to satisfy myself its realistic to achieve this before I commit. My cat is very low maintenance, the Ferret will require a lot more input.

Gives me something to mull over, whilst the cat is still alive and well!

:thumbs: They are fine with cats, my cat plays with the ferrets. Mine live in a shed but come in for a run regualarly in the evenings, they are fascinating to watch and interactions between them can be hilarious. They also run around and play with the jack russell believe it or not, shes great with them.

Id get a pair of girls and have then nuetered, they smell far less than the males and are quiet sociable. The dry food is a good ida, as the poops are easier to clear up. i put some newspaper in one corner of the lounge and 9 times out of ten they go on that.

Mine get plenty of game too. I just wishe dI had gotten into them as a kid, i cant believe i spent so long without owning any...they make superb pets, never been bitten by either of my jills. :lol:

:oops::hmm:

I have a ferreting requirement several times a year but there is no way I would consider keeping them, I have a crew I call upon, and as for a pet :yes::lol::lol:

ATB!!

Actully,

Provideing there probly looked after and handled regularly they will never bite.

As for the smell if there nuetered they dont smell at all also you dont have to worry about the jills getting infections when in season ect.

:yes::hmm:

I have a ferreting requirement several times a year but there is no way I would consider keeping them, I have a crew I call upon, and as for a pet :lol::lol: ^_^

ATB!!

Actully,

Provideing there probly looked after and handled regularly they will never bite.

As for the smell if there nuetered they dont smell at all also you dont have to worry about the jills getting infections when in season ect.

I don't keep them as you can tell, my comments are based on the several, excellent guys I get to help me out with ferreting work maybe 2 or 3 times a year, they get bitten virtually every time and the ferrets can stink..but everyone knows that anyway. I don't want ferrets..... period..... and I certainly don't want them as pets....

ATB!!! :oops:

They get bitten virtually every time :oops:?:yes:?

Dekers if they get bittern nearly ever time there doing something wrong I bet they are old timers who belive that ferrets dont need looking after and feed them bread and milk etc.

Kind regards OTH

These are working ferrets, they are not keen when they lose their food, I know nothing except these guys would die for their ferrets and they get bitten regularly!

Perhaps..PETS are different!" :hmm:

My ferrets are workers, they have never bitten me or anyone who has helped. They are great with my 2 year old son, who squeals with joy when they play with him in the garden.

They make great pets and are great at rabbiting, as it comes naturally to them.

I have a hob and a jill that are both neutered, so don't smell too much at all.

People shouldn't make comments about things they know nothing about, especially if it's to put others off keeping such great animals.

I would say go for it when you are ready. You wont regret it. Even if you only work them occasionally.

My ferrets are workers, they have never bitten me or anyone who has helped. They are great with my 2 year old son, who squeals with joy when they play with him in the garden.

They make great pets and are great at rabbiting, as it comes naturally to them.

I have a hob and a jill that are both neutered, so don't smell too much at all.

People shouldn't make comments about things they know nothing about, especially if it's to put others off keeping such great animals.

I would say go for it when you are ready. You wont regret it. Even if you only work them occasionally.

There are 2 sides to most stories, seems those that keep ferrets only want to see one, I see the blood and can smell the smell, what more is there to know, its another side of the story anyone going into this should be aware of!

They are NOT sweet little playthings, they are hunters and killers by your own admission, and smell, ...... mankind has attempted to domesticate them!

There are many other pets to consider!

Simple as!! :hmm::)

Get one as a pet knowing the possibilities!! :ermm:

I posted on another thread that I had found two Jill Ferrets, I have them in my garage living in my sons somewhat large Rat cage. I think they're very cute and are fascinating to watch, they handle very well and love to curl up in the crook of my arm, but I can't keep them :hmm: I have two terriers who would love to turn them into a delicious snack and don't have the time to devote to them so they are off this afternoon to a guy who keeps Ferrets, knows all about them and can give them more time than i ever could.

Yes you dont keep them and clearly arent keen on them, so whats with all the pointless comments trying to give ferrets bad press and disscourageing people from keeping them :yes:

Chap, I don't keep them because I have a lot of experience with them...you keep them because you want to, I don't keep them because I'm not interested in the negative side, two sides to the story, open your mind! :hmm:

Your arguement is suggestive of the fact that everyone who doesn't keep them is wrong, that is an unbalanced view, I have redressed the balance!!

Now people can judge with a little more info!!

ATB!! :good:

fella only time ferrets bite is when there not handled (pets or workers) same with stinking if you keep on top of it every couple of days or so put some fresh savings it the cage and use a try with some cat litter for there poop :good: also if you feed dry in summer months it helps no end :hmm:

fella only time ferrets bite is when there not handled (pets or workers) same with stinking if you keep on top of it every couple of days or so put some fresh savings it the cage and use a try with some cat litter for there poop :yes: also if you feed dry in summer months it helps no end :hmm:

Excellent...now the potential purchaser is getting a more balanced view... :good::yes::yes:

Edited by Dekers

keep em well fed,well handled,been round ferts for a few years now,out of abut 10 of us and what 30 odd ferts,only one lot bit,and they were poorly looked after,allways hungry,and lived in a **** tip,my 5 never bite,any one and we all handle each others when out for the day,but like all animals,they reflect the way they are treat and handled,just like some dogs bite,most dont,but put the time in with your animals and you will get the results,ferts make excellent working pets,and give hours of fun,funny as **** to watch,best get them as kits to start with,and plenty interaction with them and your laughing,literally,oki doki,ian

ps,try and get two ferts,they need plenty of room,to run around in,they are social animals,so two is better,they are meat eaters,so dry dureing the day,and fresh meat,at night in the summer,bliddy flies,plenty toys n tubes n stuff to keep them ocupied,as they are very intelligent,and inquisitive,oh and escape artist,s,and plenty water for em in the summer,as they dont like it to warm,ok

Edited by ace32