firearms application

monkey

:lol: hello hoping some one can help me i have a slight problem! i currently have a shotgun certificate and would like to apply for my firearms as i have ample oportunity to shoot rabbits on some nice areas of land the problem is i have just moved house and as yet not transfered over/registered my change of address B) on my shot gun certificate as my cabinet is at my mum and dads (the old address). how would be the best way to go about this obviously have to move my cabinet to new address but should i leave guns with mate in his cabinet and get mine secured and checked or do i apply for my co-terminous and fit my cabinet a wait for it to be checked. :)

All confusing :thumbs: SORRY ;) people basically want gun cabinet at new address would like fire arm and to be able to keep my shotguns and certificate all up to date.

many thanks monkey

ps how much land do you need for a .22 on your application.

When I moved 2 years ago, I advised the FO of the date that I would be transferring my guns and installing my cabinet, at my new address.

He arranged to visit about a week later, when he inspected everything and they changed the date on my Shotgun Certificate within 5 days.

I would move your gun(s) and cabinet at the earliest opportunity.

Cranfield has said it. Move your cabinet to your new address as soon as possible. As for a co-terminus application, sometimes more trouble than it's worth.

I have a FAC & SGC but i decided not to go with the co-terminus.

As for amount of land for a .22rim, being your first Firearm the land will have to approved by the Chief of police for your area, and you will only be able to shoot on specified land stated on your certificate.

Hope this helps :thumbs:

you will only be able to shoot on specified land stated on your certificate.

Kip is this a Scottish Law as we have no such specification Sussex.

Axe

England &Wales

On the old type cert pre 2001 land was specified on your ticket .......eg...joe bloggs farm ,disney land etc ,plus additional wording of any other land approved by the Chief of Police .

Post certs 2001 now say Land approved by the Chief of Police only .........No land is specified ..........This is still a closed ticket as your futre gained land will have to be checked .That is unless it has been passed by a previous application.

An open Ticket (of which i've just recieved )says land where you have lawful authority to shoot and there is no mention of Chief of Police.

Monkey

ps how much land do you need for a .22 on your application.

There is no formula for land mass.............mainly footpaths and surrounding buildings etc are just a few facts to consider. ;)

My old closed ticket had .22lr to shoot on 6 acres and there was even a Public School placed on one of the bounderies.

Hope this helps :thumbs:

Ive

Thanks for clearing that up Ive. Whilest on the subject of land etc. I was in conversation with a good friend of mine who is applying FAC with me. The discussion was regards to FAC Airguns and if they are treated as a rimfire, as far as land clearance is concerned. I.e. could we simply turn up on a small peice of newly aquired land as we would have with 12ft/lb or does the land have to be cleared.?

I'm afraid the land has to be passed first .It's not the gun or the fact its on the bottom rung of a very long ladder so to speak .......Its the fact that it is in a Fac bracket and comes under the same rules as rimfire and centre fire . :thumbs:

The ironic thing is in this situation as you have permission you can use a shotgun and not have to worry about land clearence . ;)

Cheers

Ive

Thanks again Ive, the law is a very twisted thing when it comes to Shotguns. I should assume that land clearance on an FAC airgun is fairly easy to get from postage stamp type land upwards. The only thing that would make me wonder is how the police tell the difference between a 28ftllb airgun and one running at 80ftlb. I think ive answered my own question here. :thumbs:

Edited by Axe

Axe,

I would think once it is FAC it is FAC, by that I mean they don't care how powerful it is, it is classed as a rifle not an air rifle.

My FLO told me this size of the land is irelevant it is the layout, 1 acre with a nice bank at the end is better than 200 acres dead flat. As if to illustrate the point, I have acess to 22 acres which due to it's layout is far better suited to rifle work than the 1,200 acres I also have acess to.

Axe.

This was on my cert when i lived in South wales, which i had in 2002, for my .22 &.222, Gwent police were not the best of forces. When i applied for my .270 for deerstalking in 2003 my ticket came back stating that i could only use in on an approved range!!! No other land.....

Got hold of the BASC, and because of their stalking schemes i got the Police to change this on my ticket. It really depends on which police fporce you come under, some are better than others. :thumbs:

BH, I think you missed the point that Ive was saying about not needing landing clearance for SGC as is with 12ft/lb rifles. I this the right time to ask about Section 5 Shotguns?

Stuart, I get what your saying, we have managed to obtain quite a bit of land with alot more on its way. Some are cleared for larger calibres but necessarily bigger in size. Back stops, roads, built areas, footpaths, etc have played a part on each and everyone so far.

Kip, Since looking into FAC and applying I have tried very hard to get to grips with the varying laws etc. I think a thread recently pointed out just how open or closed the wording can be on an firearms certificate. Its a pitty there isnt a law that exsists for all to follow rather than indiviual counties. It would certainly make it alot easier, for new starters like myself, to follow.

Thanks for the help guys.

Edited by Axe

An open Ticket (of which i've just recieved )says land where you have lawful authority to shoot and there is no mention of Chief of Police.

hi ive.

you got it then. good lad.

Thanks Mark ............I see you've gone back to cutting and pasting again :devil: I did announce the fact in the relevant thread I started but no one picked up on it i think.

Open License ...........Pass land yourself to shoot ,,,,,,,The person with authority to grant shooting rights has to give you Permission ..........Verbally will do but i get it in writing.

Axe

Your wording needs to look similar to this

The .22 rifle ,sound moderators and ammunition to which this certificate relates shall be used for VERMIN CONTROL and for Zeroing on land deemed suitable by the Chief Officer of Police for the area where the land is situated and over which the holder has permission to shoot with that class of firearm from the person by whom shooting rights are owned or from whom they may be leased or otherwise obtained .

The holder of this certificate may possess purchase or aquire expanding ammunition or the missiles of such ammunition in .22 calibre authorised by the certificate and may use such ammunition in connection with vermin control.

If centre fire is allowed on your ticket it'll say FOX & VERMIN CONTROL

................................................................................

Always check your wording and if your intending to shoot at clubs you'll need to ask for ranges to be added as well even if you are a member of one.

Cheers

Ive