defender or hilux

terry b

hi all

need some advice ,as i am about to change vehicle ,i have a defender 90 and my intention was to upgrade to a newer one at the same time selling my other car and putting all into a new landy,thing is i looked at a toyota hilux and they seem to be a capable looking motor especialy with a trucktop on(dog and work)would appreciate your comments as to which one the better option

cheers terry b :good:

A local 4x4 club used to use a hilux as the recovery truck for all others that got stuck :good: ,only had an old hilux and was incredible with hubs locked have been across wet ploughed field and pulled a forklift truck out of mud,it was a 2 litre petrol with huge tyres.top motor :good:

A local 4x4 club used to use a hilux as the recovery truck for all others that got stuck :good: ,only had an old hilux and was incredible with hubs locked have been across wet ploughed field and pulled a forklift truck out of mud,it was a 2 litre petrol with huge tyres.top motor :good:

I assume you mean one of these

HM%20Manitou%20MT1235%20HPIM1525.JPG

rather than this

forklift_accident_with_bomb.jpg

I was in a similar predicament last year, so had a test drive in a 90 :good: not the largest of cabs for a big lad!! then took a Hilux for a weekend (saturday night lamping in march!! they looked a little stunned when I took it back (bet the valeters were on bonus!)).Ended up with a very good deal on a Hilux :good: .

Only problem is the standard tyres are C**P :good: , put a set of general grabbers on and away she went, had her upto the running boards a few times with no drama, mine earns its keep as well as doing the shopping run..very versatile and a pleasure to drive even on a long run.....since I got mine I have been using a 09 landie 110 at work... offroad it suffers from c**p standard tyres like the Hilux but its noisy and uncomfortable not to mention back in the garage for several missfires/limp mode?

Anyway i'm biased (but happy) so ignore me............and enjoy which ever you buy

Cheers Nev.

post-4568-1272867519.jpg

Edited by nevb

I was in a similar predicament last year, so had a test drive in a 90 :angry: not the largest of cabs for a big lad!! then took a Hilux for a weekend (saturday night lamping in march!! they looked a little stunned when I took it back (bet the valeters were on bonus!)).Ended up with a very good deal on a Hilux :good: .

Only problem is the standard tyres are C**P :lol: , put a set of general grabbers on and away she went, had her upto the running boards a few times with no drama, mine earns its keep as well as doing the shopping run..very versatile and a pleasure to drive even on a long run.....since I got mine I have been using a 09 landie 110 at work... offroad it suffers from c**p standard tyres like the Hilux but its noisy and uncomfortable not to mention back in the garage for several missfires/limp mode?

Anyway i'm biased (but happy) so ignore me............and enjoy which ever you buy

Cheers Nev.

post-4568-1272867519.jpg

Proper job :hmm::hmm:

I always think back to "topgear" where they dropped the old style hilux TWICE from a large height, left submerged in the sea for 24hrs, stuck an outboard on the back, and took it across the channel, set fire to it, and it still ran, if I had the money, an old style hilux would be on my wish list :angry:

For I drive a hylux it's great but does need decent tyres for offroad. I'd say a short wheelbase landrover is better off road but no fun for the shopping picking up the kids etc or long runs. I'd say the hylux is a good comprimise. Mind you a modern disco probably does it all with style and a price tag to match? Safe driving Will

Love my Invincible :lol: Good comfortable ride :good: and it has the bonus of chucking what the hell you like in the back whether its things you've shot or a load of logs, without getting the front passenger area stinking or grubby :lol:

totaly agree with the tyres, not good off road at all

Edited by Dougy

Get a 90 before they started putting all the electronic **** in them. Last lifetimes with some simple maintenance.

And it means when you're not shooting you can be tinkering etc and is awesome off road. These don't have that ridiculous 'limp mode' stuff all these new Landies. Lump of metal on wheels :)

Not too uncomfortable or noisey really if you've got the headlining in and not just plain metal.

Hilux...Have had 5 now and collectively they have covered over 1/2 a million miles. In all, I've had 1 starter motor, a set of rear propshaft uj's and replaced the cigar lighter! A mate bought what was then the new tdi 90. We have the same rural job so both our vehicles were subjected to tyhe same treatment. Inside 2.5 years he had 1 starter motor, 1 front shock, 1 rear shock, 2 head gaskets go, 2 gearbox's, drivers seat belt and countless irritating smaller things. He bought a hilux before the end of the 2nd year!

I have the same as nevb, 2.5 HL3. Leather upgrade, quiet as a mouse, 30 mpg urban 40 on a long trip without trying. Really comfortable, more leg room than the earlier models. Mine has the standard tyres on it and it seems to go anywhere.

If you do go for one, and have to buy a top for the rear, get an ALPHA hardtop. They are simply the best design, suit the cosmetics of the Hilux better than the others imho and are very reasonably priced.

http://www.proppa.com/toyota-hilux-mk6vigo...dtops-757-c.asp

:):rolleyes::blush: