New 'cheap' gun or a 2nd hand 'expensive' gun?

adam f

Just in the market for my first 12g. It's pretty bewildering!

Ive shot a handful of different guns and to be brutally honest couldnt tell the difference between any of them other than those that fitted well and those that didnt!

SO! Provided I get a gun that fits well, whats the views on buying new, but at the budget end of the market (I've £900 max to spend, would like to keep it to £7-800) or buying 2nd hand, but at the middle end?

Ive searched the forum here, and usually find that people vote with their feet and wallets, so a Beretta 676/7 etc seems a good option? Anything else - anything to avoid?

I suspect you mean 686/7 :good::good:

Several new and acceptable guns for £900, this is going to get difficult, what do you actually want to shoot??

Some every acceptable, better quality used guns available just under £1000, and remember, new or used the odds are very strong you can do a better deal than the price tag!!

:good::good:

If I had that sort of money to spend I'd be looking at a used multi choke Beretta or Browning. They are nicer guns than the cheaper makes and if it's been looked after it will be a better buy in my view. :good:

Having said that, there's nothing wrong with a Lanber. They're good guns if you'd prefer to go new.

I've just been in exactly the same position, spent months deliberating the pros and cons of new v secondhand and finally went for a secondhand Browning.

Make sure you checkout Gun Trader, there are some good deals on there (as well as on here of course) and it'll give you a good idea of what you can get for your money.

There's a nice rizzini on guntrader at the month.£450 I think,private sale . Not sure where. Lanber is a good gun,and gamba can be good too,its horses for courses really,like a tool for the job u match the tool for the job,or in this case the gun to u!. If ure gonna go to a shop go where they've a range so u can try it out! After spending a kings ransome on shotguns over the years I just stick to my benelli for clays,decoying birds, rabbits and practical shotgun,it has never jamed and I hit more than I miss!

Go to a few gunshops see whats on offer,pick them up and get a feel for the fit once you find one that fits start heading for the price you want to pay by shopping around for that particular model,dont get bogged down by how posh it is or whats its name if it doesnt fit you will hit next to nowt then whatever you have spent will not be value for money as you will be back trading yet another gun,take heed ;)

Thanks for all the advice.

Am I right in assuming that if I find say a Beretta 686 that fits then they all will (unless they've been altered) or does each one vary?

Also with the Browning and Miroku - how do the models stack up... is an MK70 better or worse that an MK38 (for instance... or doesnt it work like that!)

second hand quality every time - a £950 beretta/browning/miroku will be worth £800 in 5 years time, a second hand lanber/bettinsoli/lincoln that cost £950 new will be worth £400 in 5 years time.

I had the same question when I first started shooting and fancied a new gun, but bought a second hand (from a member on here) Beretta 687 and its been faultless! Paid £750 for it two years ago, and would expect to sell it for £750 now.

Me and my dad have bought brand new each time we've bought a gun but we did pay a premium as they are 2 Beretta's and a Benelli. The re-sale value of the guns though will be very good as other people have already said. My friend on the other hand has bought a Browning and a Beretta second hand and they are both in real good shape and have never let him down when in use. It's a tough cookie to crack really. I was a fortunate as my budget was a bit more than some and could afford a gun fit for purpose brand new. With a budget of yours I'd probably go for a middle class second hand gun as most are still in good condition and again re-sale value will be better to.