Another result foxing

SSS

Went out tonight at 2300 with chunkyed in the hope that we would come across a fox or two, turned out it was only one, but its better than nothing.

Anyway, we got into the first field which is an L-shape, turned the corner, put the lamp on and there was a fox in the bottom corner. As soon as I put the lamp on, it gave it legs. We got out the truck and had a squeak, lamp on again and nothing. It had gone, and I bet its still running now :good:

We proceeded to the next field with no joy, saw a cat... but for all you cat lovers out there, I left it.

I drove around a few more fields, still with no luck so we stopped at the top near a boundary fence and had a squeak. In the distance we saw a pair of eyes, but it was a long way off. We tried calling it in, but the wind was quite strong in our faces so I don't think it could hear. At this point we thought, ****** it, lets look in the last field and head home. On the road on the way to the last field, we pass another field which is owned by the same farmer, I put the lamp out of the window and turned it on in pure hope that there would be a fox there. Lo and behold, there was, right near the gate to the road. I drove past and went straight to the next field. Pulled up, jumped the gate, chunkyed on the lamp, gun out of the slip and we were ready. A security light turned on behind us so we moved further down the hedgerow to get away from the light. I started squeaking on the back of my hand (forgot the WAM caller) and Ed switched the lamp on, with a red filter. The fox was heading our direction at a fast rate of knots. It jumped over an electric fence and kept coming. When it got to about 30 yards, I let 36 grams of number 1's go his direction. It ran! So we ran :good: I had another shot and got a miss-fire, reloaded, and had another, it was still running. It had 5 shots in the end, poor ******, it obviously wasn't his time to go. We caught up with it the other side of the field lying in the ditch.

Enough from me...

Another one down

post-17767-1272849554.jpg

Another dog fox to add to the list.

All the best,

Sam :good:

I'm not putting you down mate but you have just emphasised why I do not like the thought of using a shotgun for fox control. In your own words "It had 5 shots in the end, poor ******"

I thought that may turn out a tad controversial. Its all because my second shot miss-fired!

I do apologise if that offends anyone, but that it what it needed to get the job done :angry:

I did say that I wasn't putting you down my friend, all I was doing was pointing out that a shotgun would never be my first choice of weapons for fox control. I do however appreciate that sometimes "circumstances and situations dictate otherwise"!

Please let's not turn this into one of those argumentative threads!

'When it got to about 30 yards, I let 36 grams of number 1's go his direction. It ran! So we ran laugh.gif I had another shot and got a miss-fire, reloaded, and had another, it was still running. It had 5 shots in the end, poor ******, it obviously wasn't his time to go. We caught up with it the other side of the field lying in the ditch.'

Did it make you feel proud typing that?

I let 36 grams of number 1's go his direction. It ran! So we ran :hmm: I had another shot and got a miss-fire, reloaded, and had another, it was still running. It had 5 shots in the end, poor ******, it obviously wasn't his time to go. We caught up with it the other side of the field lying in the ditch.

Enough from me...

Another one down

Another dog fox to add to the list.

All the best,

Sam :good:

Well Sam,

I remember some posts ago in fact many posts ago you were putting in for FAC, have you got it yet :lol: there again if you can decide which calibre you are going for. Why dont you get a 338 Lap Mag??? then you could shoot fox's on your permission from your bedroom window without having to stray too far from you computer :hmm:

Yes, all those who are old and mature enough are well aware that a shot gun will and does kill fox's with the correct shot size and placement, but can you please, if your intentions are to lamp Fox' get your application filled in and either go for a 223 or 22.250 and get the correct tool for the job :angry:

Everyone makes mistakes whilst out shooting. It wasn't Sam's fault the gun misfired the following shots that either missed the fox or clipped it will of been taken to try and ensure he put the animal out of its misery, at least he was honest and he did go after ther fox and did not leave it thinking that he had cleanly missed. We would all like a clean kill everytime we shoot at something but at the end of the day we are all human and we all make mistakes just most of us dont post them on here each to there own.

Edited by Luckyshot

Did it make you feel proud typing that?

To be honest, it didnt make me feel proud, I don't know what gave you that idea. I typed what happened, and I was honest about everything.

Well Sam,

I remember some posts ago in fact many posts ago you were putting in for FAC, have you got it yet :hmm: there again if you can decide which calibre you are going for. Why dont you get a 338 Lap Mag??? then you could shoot fox's on your permission from your bedroom window without having to stray too far from you computer :good:

Yes, all those who are old and mature enough are well aware that a shot gun will and does kill fox's with the correct shot size and placement, but can you please, if your intentions are to lamp Fox' get your application filled in and either go for a 223 or 22.250 and get the correct tool for the job :angry:

My intentions are to shoot foxes, I have my FAC, and I like lamping foxes with my shotgun. Nothing you say will change the fact I shoot foxes with a shotgun, and many have been shot with my shotgun.

Looking back, I should not have said what I did, maybe I should have lied and said, it had a happy death and died smiling. Sorry but it doesnt quite work like that everytime. We all have problems at times, if you cant deal with death, don't read my posts!

It took 5 shots because that it was it needed to finish it off, I dont know why, I do not profess to be a vet, it just did.

Anything else?

To be honest, it didnt make me feel proud, I don't know what gave you that idea. I typed what happened, and I was honest about everything.

My intentions are to shoot foxes, I have my FAC, and I like lamping foxes with my shotgun. Nothing you say will change the fact I shoot foxes with a shotgun, and many have been shot with my shotgun.

Looking back, I should not have said what I did, maybe I should have lied and said, it had a happy death and died smiling. Sorry but it doesnt quite work like that everytime. We all have problems at times, if you cant deal with death, don't read my posts!

It took 5 shots because that it was it needed to finish it off, I dont know why, I do not profess to be a vet, it just did.

Anything else?

the problem is when antis read this and use it against us like i said its better to bend the truth a little to keep them horrid antis at bay

Sam,as i have known,whatever you put on here will get some criticism for one thing or another!It may be best not to put pics on here in future,cos surely someone will say something out of tune!As i said in a previous thread its easy to critcise to give credit out.

Well done for going after the Fox and despatching it as quickly as possible!! :angry:

**** happens fella,and you told it like it was.The first shot could maybe be the one that caused him to finally drop anyway as at 30 yards 36g of 1s does a fair bit of damage.I once shot a fox 3 times with a .222 before he dropped after running a bit after the 3rd shot.Not proud of it,but not going to lie about it.I mention it as an instance quite a lot,because it makes me more aware to make sure my shot placement doesnt cause this to happen again,but it might because none of us are perfect and mistakes happen.I prefer to look at it as your dead fox equals a lot of wildlife saved.

First of all good work mate, getting rid of another mangy fox. The shot placement mustn't have been good with the first shot as 30 yards with number 1's usually results in a clean kill. I don't agree with everyone as I feel the shotgun is a great method of fox control; also there is a bit more skill required in calling a fox into 30 yards than shooting one @ 200 yards with a rifle.

You probably shouldn't have mentioned the 5 shots but at least you were honest; everyone coming on here and criticising you have obviously never missed/wounded an animal in their life ;) .

First of all good work mate, getting rid of another mangy fox. The shot placement mustn't have been good with the first shot as 30 yards with number 1's usually results in a clean kill. I don't agree with everyone as I feel the shotgun is a great method of fox control; also there is a bit more skill required in calling a fox into 30 yards than shooting one @ 200 yards with a rifle.

You probably shouldn't have mentioned the 5 shots but at least you were honest; everyone coming on here and criticising you have obviously never missed/wounded an animal in their life :) .

Exactly ollie, I dont think it was. I always give them 2 shots, one straight after the other to ensure a humane death, but the cartridge miss-firing ****** that up and I had to give chase to ensure. 36 gram 1's, but last night just wasn't the night for it. I definitely enjoy foxing with my AYA, and I always use the right loads and keep the ranges sensible.

I apologise to anyone who has never made a mistake, maybe one day you will be in my situation!

Ooo eerr missus, I have caused quite a stir. ;)

Is it not quite common practice to shoot deer which run for long distances and are rifle shot foxes never injured? Is there not a danger of shooters' disapproval of shotgunning foxes becoming more broadly accepted and there being yet another anti shooting law? I bet a shotgun is many a farmers only tool for killing them. The public do not need any encouragement from within our own ranks to ban another aspect of shooting.

Edited by vole

Is it not quite common practice to shoot deer which run for long distances and are rifle shot foxes never injured? Is there not a danger of shooters' disapproval of shotgunning foxes becoming more broadly accepted and there being yet another anti shooting law? I bet a shotgun is many a farmers only tool for killing them. The public do not need any encouragement from within our own ranks to ban another aspect of shooting.

Cheers mate ;)

hey sam think you must be the only person thats shot foxes with a shot gun all these foxes shoots on estates in feb and march and no one turns up with a shotty must be loads of people on here gone fox shooting with shot guns :D.

even with a rifle you cant garantee a clean kill all the time (but you do increase the odds )how many times have people on here said i quote (i shot it a x yards and when i went to pick it up it had gone or i could,t find it )why coz you never placed the bullit right and the animal slipped of with a big **** off wound in it to die in a ditch some where :) so for god sake lads give him a break .aleast he had the balls to say he had to give it 5 shots and never let it crawl of injured .

we all **** up at times i have .be it stalking or fox shooting or even pigeon shooting weve all shot bird and they have flowen on (were we using the wrong loads , our the bird to far out for a clean kill :hmm::lol: )and if i had to shoot a scabby fox with a shot gun i sure as hell would even if it took more than one shot .

chin up sam and well done for atleast being honest ;)

rant over

hey sam think you must be the only person thats shot foxes with a shot gun all these foxes shoots on estates in feb and march and no one turns up with a shotty must be loads of people on here gone fox shooting with shot guns :hmm:.

even with a rifle you cant garantee a clean kill all the time (but you do increase the odds )how many times have people on here said i quote (i shot it a x yards and when i went to pick it up it had gone or i could,t find it )why coz you never placed the bullit right and the animal slipped of with a big **** off wound in it to die in a ditch some where :D so for god sake lads give him a break .aleast he had the balls to say he had to give it 5 shots and never let it crawl of injured .

we all **** up at times i have .be it stalking or fox shooting or even pigeon shooting weve all shot bird and they have flowen on (were we using the wrong loads , our the bird to far out for a clean kill :lol::lol: )and if i had to shoot a scabby fox with a shot gun i sure as hell would even if it took more than one shot .

chin up sam and well done for atleast being honest ;)

rant over

Thanks cocker :)

no ones perfect and if we are honest,things do not always go to plan.

i noticed you said after the first shot,you had a misfire,which to my way of thinking can throw someone into a panic and hence things went wrong but,i applaud you for getting the fox and finishing it off.

you will notice all the mary poppins shooters having a nervous breakdown over this..you live in the real world where stuff happens and admit it and will in future try your best for it not to happen again.

panic can set in and all reasoning can go out the window,at times like this.

al

but why oh why feel the need to post a disastrous shooting experience, I've shot a fair few with shotguns the last one with 7's stone dead but very close it can be done you had the tools for the job just didn't point in the right place.

I'm sure people mess up shots at alot further ranges with centre fire rifles and due to the distance, can't get another shot off and the fox dies in agony. Glad you did whats needed to finish him off quickly.

It's also refreshing to read that people don't always get it right. From reading posts on here, you would think you are a **** shot if you can't manage a 200yard HMR shot on a rabbit or a .3" grouping with a .243. Thanks for your honesty.

Edited by Westcountryman