Anyone shoot shotguns better when alone

Hi guys

This might seem like a strange post but I have come to the conclusion that I shoot better when in a hide solo and have no one around watching. :hmm: If I go out on my own I can average 60-70% cartridge to bird ratios over decoys easily but sometimes when I am in company and taking turns to shoot my shooting goes to pot! :good:

I don't struggle when I am taking difficult long shots with my CF rifle as it is a different technique altogether - SG shoting being instinctive - the harder I try - the more I miss! :angry:

To give you an example I was out shooting with a good friend yesterday and I think I fired 20 shots for 3 pigeon - I have never done that in the 4 years I have been shooting. The birds were difficult shots as they were uncomfotable landing where I had the decoys. After he left I shot the next 16 birds with approx 20-22 shots. :hmm:

Cheers,

Si

Hi,

Isn't that a fact. Same with the fly rod, all silk like until you sense someone watching, next cast the fly goes in passed the barb in the back of your neck where you can't reach. Same at work, complicated bit of bending for a damaged airframe all going superbly well until that "he's behind you" feeling creeps over you. Instant dog's breakfast!

Cheers

I actually shoot better when my mate and I are out. Especially when we are walking ditches for woodcock in the winter. It is just not the same shooting on your own and at least when you miss with someone you can have a bit of banter.

the harder I try - the more I miss! <_<

Do or do not, there is no try !

Trying means you are overriding your powerful subconscious skills with your conscious mind, your conscious mind can only think of one thing at a time where as your subconscious mind can do many thinks all at once.

An example of this is learning to drive, to begin with you have to consciously think of all the things you need to do in order to control the car & its very hard, after repetitive practice the skills become embedded in the subconscious & the whole thing becomes easier.

It becomes easier because you are no longer "trying" to control every aspect of the task.

Ignore outside "pressure" as much as possible forget those watching you & you will improve.

The trick is to picture what you want to happen in your mind rather than controlling the technical aspects or worrying about who may be watching.

A good book on controlling the mind under pressure is "With Winning in mind" written by Lanny Bassham who is an Olympic Gold Medal Rifle Shooter.

N

Edited by neil smith

i caught a fish yesterday it was thiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiis big :oops::oops::lol:

I caught one yesterday which was thiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiis big... so there :lol:

I tend to shoot better when I'm alone, I guess its pressure to get good shots <_<

Edited by SSS

Sometimes when someone waits behind you on a clay stand it makes me shoot better, as it makes you focus more so you don't look like a bell in front of them.

In the hide or with the rifles I think I shoot about the same. I only shoot with dad and I know i'm a better shot <_<:oops: