Wanted

lurcherboy

Now then, my rottie is a brilliant cook, but, she has never cracked scutail pie. She makes a wicked scut/pheasent/pigeon pie but can't do so well on the solo effort. So if any of you have the perfect recipe, please post it as I will be up to my eyes in scutails tonight if all goes well :devil:

If you are still visiting Hammergun, I would appreciate your input, cheers mate :oops:

LB

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rabbit Pie

Ingredients (12 servings)

2 Jack rabbits -or-

4 Cottontails

1 Celery stalk, diced

1 Lg. onion, diced

Salt & Pepper

1 pk Prepared biscuits

GRAVY:

Reserved stock

Chicken bouillon

1 Medium onion, diced

Celery (from above stalk)

Flour

Salt

Pepper

Sage

Poultry seasoning

Instructions

Soak rabbits in salt water in refrigerator overnight. Dry, cut up and stew rabbits with celery and onions for 2-3 hours. Add salt and pepper to taste, then strip meat from bones and put in 26-inch pie pan, add stock or gravy for moisture. Cover with biscuits. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour. For gravy, take reserved stock, add bouillon, onions and celery. Bring to a boil. Strain. Mix flour with an equal amount of water, add sauce to thickening. Season to taste with spices.

Source: N.A.H.C. Wild Game Cookbook Author: Michael D. Ferrin, Lyman WY

have other but will have to scan them in...not on disk yet

1 rabbit jointed(no ! stop it)

500ml dry cider

125gm streaky bacon cut into inch square pieces

2x small cox apples

1-2 parsnips or 1 sweet potatoe(if your feeling exotic)

2 carrots

4-6 shallots or pickling size onions

plain flour

salt and pepper

1 ozbutter

1 tbsp oil

pack of puff pastry

heat oven to gas mk2

Dust the rabbit pieces in the seasoned flour and fry with the bacon pieces until sealed and slightly browned on all sides.

Remove to a warm plate and quickly fry the chopped veg.to just colour it,then remove to the warm plate.

De-glaze the pan with the cider,stirring to get all the crispy bits etc.

Put the meat veg and de glazed pan juices in a casserole dish in the oven for 1 hr,and then remove it and whack up the heat to gas 7.

remove meat from bones and place in pie dish and cover with veg/gravy then top with pastry and brush with beaten egg.

Enjoy with a couple of bottles of cider and if theres a lot of gravy a slice or 2 of crusty bread :devil::oops::P

What the **** are prepared biscuits?????

The rottie is well confused although it dont take much :devil:

LB

Instead of buying prepared biscuts have her make a batch up from scratch. And whatever you do dont tell her I said that. :D :( They are those wonderful little dough biscuts that you use to sop up gravy at the dinner table. :lol::)

Geezer me...at least I am not 54.. :oops::P:lol::lol::lol:

Rabbit Pie

Ingredients

1 rabbit

a few slices ham or bacon

salt and white pepper to taste

2 blades pounded mace

7½ tsp grated nutmeg

a few forcemeat balls

2 hard-boiled eggs

300ml/½ pt gravy

puff pastry crust

Method

1. Cut up the rabbit (which should be young), remove the breast-bone and bone the legs.

2. Put the rabbit, slices of ham, forcemeat balls and hard-boiled eggs, by turns, in layers, and season each layer with pepper, salt, pounded mace and grated nutmeg.

3. Pour in about 300ml/½pt water, cover with a pastry crust, and bake in a well-heated oven for about 1½hour. Should the crust acquire too much colour, place a piece of paper over it to prevent it from burning.

4. When done, pour in at the top, by means of the hole in the middle of the crust, a little good gravy, which may be made of the breast and leg bones of the rabbit and 2 or 3 shank-bones, flavoured with onion, herbs and spices.

Rabbit Pie with Parsley Cream

Ingredients

1kg/2¼lb rabbit, jointed

60g/2oz butter

4 spring onions, chopped

2 sprigs thyme

300ml/½ pint double cream

1 tbsp cornflour mixed with 1 tbsp water

90ml/3fl oz dry white wine

3 tbsp chopped fresh parsley

225g/8oz shortcrust pastry

salt and pepper

1 beaten egg

Method

1. Melt the butter in a frying pan and fry the rabbit joints quickly until golden brown. Stir in the spring onions and thyme and season well. Add the cream, cornflour paste and white wine and bring to the boil. Stir in the parsley.

2. Simmer gently for 30 minutes until the rabbit is tender. Cool and put in a pie dish.

3. Roll out the pastry and cover the rabbit with it. Make a steam hole and glaze with the beaten egg. Decorate with any trimmings of the pastry.

4. Heat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6.

5. Bake for 30-40 minutes until the pastry is cooked and golden and the filling is piping hot.

What the **** are prepared biscuits?????

The rottie is well confused although it dont take much  :rolleyes:

LB

Instead of buying prepared biscuts have her make a batch up from scratch. And whatever you do dont tell her I said that. :o :D They are those wonderful little dough biscuts that you use to sop up gravy at the dinner table. :lol::lol:

Geezer me...at least I am not 54.. :oops::P:P:P:P

I believe i is right in saying that day is called dumplins.

LB :lol::lol::lol:

hmm id better go check the recipe! :*)

Later on that day ............

Hmmm, well ok, the recipe requires you to build up layers and season with each layer with the nutmeg. So I guess its an idea of how much will be used but you don't need to use it all. If you really are in doubt just add a teaspoon. :thumbs:

Edited by Axe

• 3 weeks later...

here you go 113 ways to cook a bunny rabbit :lol: as well as theses Alligator

Bear

Beaver

Boar Buffalo

Caribou

Dove

Duck Elk

Emu

Game Hen

Goose Grouse